Huskie Bowl at NIU 1/30/16

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Potatoes
Lulu

Huskie Bowl at NIU 1/30/16

Post by Potatoes »

Greetings,

The Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association is excited to announce our annual Huskie Bowl tournament. It will be held on January 30th, 2016. I, Alec Krueger, will serve as tournament coordinator, and Kristin Strey will handle the day-of-event tournament direction. It will be run on the BASQT set. More information on BASQT can be found here. We will be running two divisions.

Registration
To register for this event, send me an email at [email protected] with your team name, number of teams of that you are bringing, which division for each team, and buzzer/staffer/laptop/travel discount information. Due to our low initial cap of 18 total teams, B, C, etc. teams will be waitlisted until 9 January 2016. We reserve the right to move teams between divisions.

The fees for the tournament are as follows:
$80/team
-$10/additional team from a school
-$5/working buzzer system (must have at least four working lights for each team. Limit two systems per school).
-$10/experienced moderator provided (an additional -$5 if the staffer brings a laptop. Moderators must be approved by the TD)

For payment, please make checks out to “Quiz Bowl Association.” You can bring them the day of. If your school requires some sort of advance payment, or an invoice, email me, and we will sort it out.

Teams that cannot afford the entry fee are encouraged to contact me to discuss possible further discounts.
Last edited by Potatoes on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Re: Huskie Bowl at NIU

Post by Potatoes »

Field (16)
Auburn A
Auburn B
Auburn C
Boylan
Bloomington A
Fremd A
Fremd B
IMSA A
Kaneland
Keith
Loyola A
Loyola B
Waubonsie Valley
Wheaton North A
Wheaton Warrenville South A
Wheaton Warrenville South B

Waitlisted (8)
Fremd C
Bloomington B
Boylan B
Fremd D
Maine South A
Maine South B
Rolling Meadows
Metea Valley
Last edited by Potatoes on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:57 am, edited 32 times in total.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Does this tournament have a date?
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Ndg wrote:Does this tournament have a date?
Oops, forgot to put that in the original post. I've updated it to include the date (January 30th, 2016).
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Re: Huskie Bowl at NIU 1/30/16

Post by Potatoes »

We are currently at 9 teams out of the 18 team field cap, with 6 teams on the B/C/D team wait list. The field is now half full.

We are also seeking moderator assistance for this event; we can offer moderators breakfast, lunch, and staff bowl during lunch for their help. If you're interested in reading, or know someone who is interested in reading, please let me know.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Huskie Bowl was awarded gold certification by PACE. The top 20% of teams (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for the PACE NSC on the weekend of June 4th-5th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare outside of Chicago.

Additionally, we are at 11/18 teams, with 8 teams currently on the B/C/D team waitlist.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Just a reminder that B/C/D teams will be let off the waitlist this Saturday. That will cause the field to fill up.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

We've decided to combine the field.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

B teams have been let into the field. The field is now full.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Quick update: Auburn beat IMSA in an advantaged final (Auburn had the advantage) to win the tournament.

Since there's nowhere to find the stats from the tournament, I'll just post them here.

Prelim Stats
Playoff Stats
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Potatoes
Lulu

Post by Potatoes »

Congratulations to Auburn A, who beat IMSA in the first game of an advantaged final. Stats can be found at the links that Young posted above.

Also a huge thanks to Linda Greene, Mike Laudermith, Young Fenimore Lee, Andrew Nadig, Kevin Palmer, Jim Stankevitz, and Mike Withey for staffing the tournament. A special thanks to Brad Fischer and Kristin Strey for helping my teammates Elissa Pape and Anna Phillips run the tournament.
Alec Krueger
NIU '16
NIU '18
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

My students at Bergen Academies wrote the set; if you have any comments, please join the "BASQT 2016" usergroup and post in the discussion forum. Hope you enjoyed the set!
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov