Quizbowl in foreign countries: How?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mf_2
Lulu

Quizbowl in foreign countries: How?

Post by mf_2 »

Hello,

Since I have tro depart for my home country Germany soon, I was wondering if tehy have quizbowl over there. they don't. Then I remembered that there was a team from china ( shanghai? ) at the naqt nationals. I wass wondering how they are playing quizbowl? I can imagine how they practice, sincethey can just order questions from the naqt website for example.but: are there tournaments in china? how did they qualify for nationals? is that the only tournament they go to?, since I don't think they have tournaments in china, but then I don't know for sure.
a lot of questions, maybe you have some answers.
Maximilian Franck, former player of Brindlee Mountain High School (2004-05) quizbowl
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I assumed it was an English-speaking school that happened to be located in China -- perhaps catering to the children of diplomats or businessmen sent there.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
DeLtA_IjK
Kimahri

Post by DeLtA_IjK »

dang.. scary that there'd be a team from china.. i wonder how they did. ^_^;
-Max Chen
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I cannot say about German schools themselves, but if you go to a Department of Defense school or an International School (American-run), there is a possibility you could see academic teams there. Many of them compete in Knowledge Master Open, but I cannot attest to there being a circuit.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
mf_2
Lulu

Post by mf_2 »

What is a Knowledge Master Open?
Maximilian Franck, former player of Brindlee Mountain High School (2004-05) quizbowl
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Max, dude... The Knowledge Master Open was the computer tournament we did twice this year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

Just to clarify: the school from China is called Shanghai American, so it apparently does cater to the children of English-speaking people living in China. They also appeared at NAC Chicago, going 6-0 in the preliminaries and losing in the first round of the playoffs. I'm not sure how they did at NAQT. If I remember correctly, they've also participated in the KMO in the past.
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I think they went 5-5 in the prelims at NAQT.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
P3nguinP0wered
Lulu

Post by P3nguinP0wered »

They killed our team in Ken Jennings room -__-
Darwin Fu
President- Quiz Bowl Club at UC San Diego
Mission San Jose '06
UC San Diego '10
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Hi I am the former coach of the team from Shanghai. Quiz at international schools tend to be a hit or miss type of thing. There is, as far as I know, not a NAQT, PACE, NAC league/major tournament. If you are going to an international school than you should try and get a team started in your school. Many countries have quiz of some sort. I worked in Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe both countries had a thriving quiz system. The best Sri Lankan teams are amongst the best I have ever seen (second only to last years TJ-A) but again the format is different. In Zimbabwe the matches had been nationally televised.

The posts about my former team are correct. We did finish 5-5 at NAQT and were thrilled to do that well. That 5 point loss to Dorman was a heartbreaker! And yes after going 6-0 in the prelims at NAC we got knocked out in the first round by Chaska, a good team we had just, but barely, defeated in the prelims. A good overall first showing by SAS. There were no seniors on the team and my attempts to have other international schools start a team and play us had limited success, thus we came to Chicago with almost no experience. A few international schools do the KMO, those numbers are starting to rise. My former team has won the international section the last four times.
Now I am in Abu Dhabi and they DO have regional (UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Lebanon, KSA, and I think a few others) quiz matches. The format seems to be based on KMO questions and a mix bag of Math Counts and other such events. I am looking to have my team and the other regional teams start doing the KMO. I also hope to hold two invitational tournaments a year. One with the NAC style of play and the other following NAQT style of play.
Michael Harvey
American Community School
Abu Dhabi, UAE