Washington MO High 12/3

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
dwd500
Wakka

Washington MO High 12/3

Post by dwd500 »

Coaches,

I am happy to announce the 2nd Annual Washington High School Invitational Tournament (WHIT II) on December 3rd, 2016. It will be held in Washington Middle School, the same building as last year’s event.

The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format. To encourage players, we will be using “Powers,” or 15 points for an early correct answer, and we will NOT be using “Negs” or “Interrupts” (-5 for early incorrect answers)

In the interest of keeping the day running quickly, we will not be using bouncebacks on bonuses. This is a change from last year.

We will be using the Washington/Hickman Academic Questionfest (WHAQ), our first-ever team-written set of questions, done in collaboration with Hickman High School in Columbia, MO. By the time of this tournament, there will have been at least three other tournaments across the country using this set, and we will be relying on their feedback to make sure we’re offering the best possible product. More details about the set and the question distribution can be found here.
Side note - this will be the same set used at Hickman High School’s tournament scheduled for February 25. Teams cannot play at both events.

We are currently capping the field at 42 teams, but we hosted 48 last year, and the field can expand if there is significantly more interest and staff. The field filled up within a few days last year, so be sure to register as soon as you can!

Prices are:
- $65 for the first team from a school, $60 for each additional team. (B, C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 per team)
- Providing an experienced scorekeeper is a $5 discount. We reserve the right to refuse scorekeepers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town. Most teams should be done by 5 PM.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register. You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate, so again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.

Teams placing 1st-4th will receive a trophy. There are prizes for the top 10 individual prelims scorers.

Our school’s address is 401 E. 14th St., Washington, MO 63090. We will be playing in the Middle School building, rather than the High School.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight. The middle school will be visible on the right.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 6th stoplight. The middle school will be visible on the right.
Last edited by dwd500 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
dwd500
Wakka

Re: Washington MO High 12/3

Post by dwd500 »

Field (48/48)
Wellsville-Middletown
Tuscumbia
Parkway North
Hannibal (2)
New Haven (2)
Holt
Houston
Ft. Zumwalt North
Parkway Central
Clever (2)
Calvary Lutheran (2)
St. James
Hallsville
Mexico
Webster Groves
Northwest
Cuba
Central (St. Joseph)
Parkway South (2)
Pleasant Hill (2)
O'Fallon Township (IL)
Rolla
Sullivan (2)
Marquette
Osage
Orchard Farm (2)
Montgomery Co.
Pacific
Louisiana
CBC (2)
Francis Howell North (3)
Warrenton
Oakville
Hermann
Eureka
Christian (2)

Waitlist
MICDS
Rock Bridge (2)

Buzzers
Wellsville-Middletown
Tuscumbia (2)
Hannibal
New Haven
Holt
Houston
Ft. Zumwalt North
Clever (2)
Calvary Lutheran
St. James
Hallsville
Webster Groves
Cuba
Parkway South
Pleasant Hill
O'Fallon
Rolla
Sullivan (2)
Osage
CIS
Montgomery Co.
Pacific
Louisiana
Francis Howell North

Moderators
Wellsville-Middletown
Tuscumbia
Houston
Clever
Hallsville
Pleasant Hill
Francis Howell North (possible)
Last edited by dwd500 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 8 times in total.
David Dennis
Washington, MO

dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

...and we've hit the initial cap in under 24 hours. Bumping that up to 42.
David Dennis
Washington, MO

dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

...and we hit THAT cap in less than 48 hours.

I've gotten some other staff that's told me they can make the date, and I'm pretty sure I've got staff for 48, but I want the chance to sit down and line that out before I commit to opening the field further.
David Dennis
Washington, MO

dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

This tournament has been Platinum Certified by PACE, meaning that the top 25% will qualify for their National Championship in Chicago, June 10-11.
David Dennis
Washington, MO

dwd500
Wakka

Post by dwd500 »

Results are here.

Top 12 (should be earning a PACE NSC bid):