Florida 2016-2017

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Florida 2016-2017

Post by Mahavishnu »

Any hypotheses on how this upcoming year is likely to play out? I know American Heritage has some quality teams, and I can assure that South Fork will definitely be a force similar to that of long-gone eras.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Florida 2016-2017

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

NHBB's slate of Florida tournaments is just about finalized:

*Florida North Winter will be held at Spruce Creek HS in Port Orange on March 4th, using C-Set

*Florida Central Fall will be at Shorecrest Prep on Sunday, November 20th, using C-set
*Florida Central Winter will be at New Dimensions on Monday, January 16th (MLK Day), using B-set
*Central Florida Championships will be at New Dimensions on Sunday, February 26th, using A-set

*South Florida Fall will be at Archimedean Conservatory on November 19th, using C-set
*South Florida Winter will be at Ransom Everglades on January 14th, using B-set
*South Florida Championships will be at Miami Palmetto on February 25th, using A-set

You can register for these tournaments online. If you have any questions, please PM or e-mail me. Thanks!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Re: Florida 2016-2017

Post by Mahavishnu »

This is a recent email I shot out to many Florida QB coaches. I realize that the coaches I sent it to (as many as possible) may not be all reaching, so I am posting it here for the sake of visibility. Let it be known that in the meantime since my original sending of the email Coach Becker from Ransom Everglades has offered his assistance in coordinating the team. Special thanks to both Ryan Bilger (Pennsylvania NASAT Coordinator) and Steve Frappier (of past-Ransom Everglades fame); both of these men have provided incredible help towards this effort, and without their advice this may have never gotten off the ground.

"Hello Florida quizbowlers!

My name is Tracy Mirkin, and I am the quiz bowl captain at South Fork High School in Stuart, Florida. I will be coordinating the tryouts for this year’s team from Florida for the NASAT competition. This effort will be supervised by my coach, Mrs. Kelly George. If any other experienced coaches wish to assist in this effort, either as a chaperone to the actual event, or as any type of advisor, I would appreciate the help.

NASAT is a national all-star tournament in which states form teams of top players to compete against each other, and it will take place this year on June 24 and 25 at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. Here is a link that contains further information.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =2&t=19239

Florida has only sent one team to NASAT in the past, in 2014. As such, this is a work-in-process for me, and I am receiving advice from other more experienced members of the quiz bowl community who have experience with NASAT.

Here are the guidelines for the currently proposed selection process.

· Students designated as eligible are top 6 Florida players and members of top 4 Florida teams at the following tournaments:

Collegiate High at NWFSC School Invitational (October 15),

Aggie Academic Challenge (November 5),

Community School of Naples Invitational (November 12),

Florida Gateway High School Open (November 18),

Rickards Brain Bowl Invitational (November 19),

4th John Schudel Memorial Academic Team Tournament (December 3),

Ransom Everglades Invitational (December 10),

Classical Prep Semi-Annual Quiz Bowl Invitational (December 17), and

Classical Prep Semi-Annual Quiz Bowl Invitational (January 14).

Members of teams who qualified for HSNCT at out-of-state tournaments will also be eligible to apply.

· Students not listed as eligible may submit an appeal to me at [email protected] indicating why he or she is interested in NASAT and why he or she should be considered for the tryouts. Appeals will be considered by the team selection committee (whose decisions will be final). If you wish to contribute or be a part of this committee, I am still looking for experienced coaches to assist.
· Students will submit applications including links to one or two personal statistics pages from tournaments they have attended during the 2016-17 school year. They will also select their top three quizbowl subjects from a list provided on the form. Applications will be due by Sunday, March 5, 2017.
· A committee of Florida quizbowl advocates (as to be determined) will review the applications and select the top fifteen students to move on to the tryout phase. Students will be notified if they are accepted by Monday, March 13, 2017.
· Tryouts will be held via Skype during the week of March 20-March 27, 2017.
· The committee will meet to determine the final A team of five students. The results of the tryouts will be presented and discussed blindly, so that no player is helped or hurt by outside performances If there are enough students interested to attend as a B team, that prospect will be discussed and considered. These results will be announced approximately on Friday, March 31, 2017.

If you are interested in trying out to be a member of the team, please fill out the application linked below.

https://goo.gl/forms/axYasX5n1gCcXDHg2

Please do not hesitate to email me at [email protected] if you have any questions about NASAT or the tryout process. Many of the teams in Florida don't have an email address listed on the NAQT site, and as such it is very difficult to contact them. Please feel free to forward this to other interested person(s) who I may have missed.

Thank you for your interest in NASAT and I hope to receive applications from many of you!

Sincerely,

Tracy Mirkin

2017 Florida NASAT Tryout Coordinator"
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22