Lehigh Valley Academy Inaugural Tournament, October 29, 2016

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Antrobus63
Wakka

Lehigh Valley Academy Inaugural Tournament, October 29, 2016

Post by Antrobus63 »

Lehigh Valley Academy will host the first ever pyramidal quiz bowl tournament in the Lehigh Valley on Saturday, October 29, 2016. We will be using NAQT Introductory set IS-159A.

Lehigh Valley Academy is located at 1560 Valley Center Pkwy, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania 18017, right off Route 22.

Check-in will take place from 7:30am to 8:20am, with meetings at 8:30 and Round 1 starting at 9 a.m. Each team will be guaranteed at least 8 games. The tournament should wrap up between 3:30 and 4:30 p.m.

NAQT (the National Academic Quiz Tournaments) has officially certified this event as a National qualifier. This means that the top 15% of teams in the tournament (rounded up to the nearest integer) will qualify for the HSNCT in Atlanta May 26th, 2017. Also, PACE (the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence) has awarded the tournament gold certification, so the top 20% of teams will qualify for the National Scholastic Championship on June 10th-11th at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare outside of Chicago.

Registration

To register, please post on this thread or e-mail me at [email protected].

The field cap is 24 teams. We may extend the field if more teams commit by October 1. Until that point, we will put additional teams on a waitlist.

There is a three-team limit per school, and a six-player limit per team. Schools cannot swap members between teams during the tournament.

Fees

Team 1: $70
Teams 2-3: $60 each
Team limit: 3 teams per school
Buzzer discount: $5 per working buzzer system
Moderator discount: $10 per moderator
Minimum fee per team: $50

We will start invoicing teams in late-September and expect to receive payment by October 15. Teams paying after that date must add an extra $10 late fee. Teams who do not submit payment by October 22 will be replaced by waitlist teams.

Food

You can order pizzas ahead of time. Also, there are several restaurants and fast food places close by.

This is our first tournament, but we will have several very experienced tournament staffers onboard. If you have any questions, please write me at [email protected].

Peter Schmidt
Tournament Director, Lehigh Valley Academy

Field (teams/moderators/buzzers)

As of 10/24/16:
Central Catholic 1/1/1
Del Val 1/0/2
Emmaus 2/0/1
Exton 2/0/1
Great Valley 1/1/0
Hunterdon Central 2/1/1
Moravian Academy 2/0/1
Parkland 2/1/2
Pingry 2/0/0
Pleasant Valley 2/1/1
Saucon Valley 1/1/0
Southern Lehigh 3/0/0
State College 2/1/2
WC Henderson 1/2/2

Total so far: 24/7/11

Waitlist
Del Val 1/0/0
Lakeland 1/0/0
Last edited by Antrobus63 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
warrior113
Lulu

Re: Lehigh Valley Academy Inaugural Tournament, October 29,

Post by warrior113 »

Peter,
Henderson would like to bring two teams to the LVA tournament.
Steve

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Steve Sobieck
Henderson Academic Team Coach
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Preliminary and Final Stats are now up.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Well, that was fun! I hope we can do it again next year.

My thanks to all of the kids and coaches who participated in (and helped to run) the tournament, as well to all of the people who could have been home eating Halloween candy but still came in to help us out—Ben Herman, Ryan and Kurt Bilger, David Dill, Angela Bermudez, Josh Larkin, Gail Shively, and Lisa Ritchie. My gratitude also to the LVA administration and staff who allowed us to hold the event here.

The top four teams qualified for HSNCT while the top five teams qualified for PACE: Great Valley A was our tournament champ after nipping State College A 330-320 on the last question. Henderson A finished third; Pingry A, fourth. Exton A was fifth.

Our prelims top scorer was Will DiGrande from Pingry A. Our overall top scorer was Jackie Wu of Exton A.

I welcome any feedback, positive or negative, so please feel free to post here or to write me privately at [email protected].

Lost-and-Found: a number of coats, a pull-string bag, and even a buzzer set were left behind. I have them all in my possession, so let me know if you can't locate them.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88