Indiana 2016-17

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nitzuga
Lulu

Indiana 2016-17

Post by nitzuga »

Official thread for Indiana quiz bowl, for the few of us left over here! Some notable things:
  • First tournament for most Indiana teams is Kick-Off tomorrow here at Harrison! I'm excited.
  • There appears to be a new tournament, "Indiana Academy Tournament", on April 1st at Ball State. Would love to know more about it and the set being used if anyone knows!
  • Although no Indiana team ranked in the top 100 on HSQBRank last year, St Joseph, Culver, and Harrison will all be fairly competitive and may rise in the rankings significantly. Also watch out for Avon, University, and Zionsville as they return many players that did well (mostly on non-pyramidal questions, for the record).
I'll be posting again after tomorrow (when stats come out probably). Anyone here??
Agustin Garcia
Harrison HS 2017, MIT 2021
Father Comstock
Lulu

Re: Indiana 2016-17

Post by Father Comstock »

Fear not, for I am with you.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
scholarhillery
Lulu

Post by scholarhillery »

Look forward to a great season!
Jon Hillery
William Henry Harrison High School (IN), 2014-2018
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Posting like I did last year to say that as Indiana people plan and host things, don't hesitate to reach out to me. I'm just over the border in Champaign, Illinois, and depending on my schedule I might be willing to come help out! Also, if there are events that are interested in having Illinois teams attend, I can help connect you to teams here.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
nitzuga
Lulu

Post by nitzuga »

Some updates:

1. Stats from Indiana Kick-Off are available here. Spoiler alert: Kick-Off newcomer Zionsville finished in first place, and Harrison B upset Saint Joseph in the semifinals to be runner up. Saint Joseph defeated Harrison A in the 3rd place match. Stats from all 4 of these teams were promising. The overall field was talented but smaller than in recent years, sadly.

My team (Harrison A) had the most powers as well as highest PPB and PPG, but disappointingly finished 4-2. We tend to have no trouble against teams with less experience, but as soon as we play similarly skilled teams we tend to, well, not do our best. I guess we should work on consistency.

2. Purdue University will be hosting a tournament run on NAQT regular difficulty questions on January 14! A link to a forum post is here. (Note that I do not know the person running it, I just thought this was very cool.)

3. I still have no info about this mysterious "Indiana Academy" tournament or about Culver Invitational (which will likely conflict with either other tournaments or a mandatory band competition, oh well...) soooooo yeah. I am sad. Also idk where the FS and Rotary state tournaments will be.
Agustin Garcia
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

NHBB will be hosting our Indiana event at Saint Joseph on February 11th; if anyone has any questions about this event or History Bowl in general, I'd love to hear from you!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
nitzuga
Lulu

Post by nitzuga »

Is anyone near Indiana (or anywhere at all, really) interested in a mirror of BASQT on April 8 in West Lafayette, IN (Harrison HS)? Let me know in some form if you are. We're considering running it.
Agustin Garcia
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

To the best of my knowledge, there is no mirror of BASQT scheduled in Illinois, so you might be able to draw some Illinois teams if you share/post in the Illinois section.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
steve_b12
Kimahri

Post by steve_b12 »

I'd be willing to read for/staff a possible Harrison BASQT mirror, and might be able to round up some more people from Purdue. Butler is also hosting a tournament run on A sets in February, just FYI.
Steve Benchik
St. Joseph (IN) '16
Purdue '20
nitzuga
Lulu

Post by nitzuga »

Updates:
Agustin Garcia
scholarhillery
Lulu

Post by scholarhillery »

Would there be interest for a BASQT mirror to be hosted in West Lafayette on April 15?
Jon Hillery
scholarhillery
Lulu

Post by scholarhillery »

The prices we are thinking for the BASQT mirror are:

65 dollars per team
-$5 for buzzer (max 1)
-$10 for distance
-$10 for moderator
-$5 for 2nd/3rd/etc teams
minimum $40.

More information about BASQT can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=18742
Jon Hillery
scholarhillery
Lulu

Post by scholarhillery »

The following was just sent out by the tournament director of Indiana's state tournament.
Game Format
Games will be NAQT with Lightning. There are two halves of 8 tossups each that can lead to 3-part bonuses [no computational math or trash]. Between the halves, there will be a lightning round of two categories in which teams have sixty seconds to write their answers [one academic round and one trash round].
This means that the amount of points able to be scored from trash per packet is about the same as literature or history. It appears that these minute-long rounds are being written by the tournament director, the coach of one of the schools attending. Thoughts?
Jon Hillery
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

scholarhillery wrote:The following was just sent out by the tournament director of Indiana's state tournament.
Game Format
Games will be NAQT with Lightning. There are two halves of 8 tossups each that can lead to 3-part bonuses [no computational math or trash]. Between the halves, there will be a lightning round of two categories in which teams have sixty seconds to write their answers [one academic round and one trash round].
This means that the amount of points able to be scored from trash per packet is about the same as literature or history. It appears that these minute-long rounds are being written by the tournament director, the coach of one of the schools attending. Thoughts?
Why is your state like this
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
scholarhillery
Lulu

Post by scholarhillery »

Good luck to the Indiana teams going to nationals soon! I know Zionsville is going to HSNCT and Harrison and St. Joseph are going to PACE NSC. Also, congratulations to the three Indiana teams that are on the Morlan rankings: Culver (169), St Joseph (156), and Harrison (91).
Jon Hillery