MRI-5 at New Kent High School, VA (1/7/17) [IS-161a]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MDUCK
Lulu

MRI-5 at New Kent High School, VA (1/7/17) [IS-161a]

Post by MDUCK »

This is the general announcement for the 2017 Metro Richmond Invitational Tournament 5. This is a high school academic quizbowl tournament, to be held at New Kent High School on Saturday, January 7th from 9:00 AM until shortly after 4:30 PM.

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, PARKING: The tournament will take place at New Kent High School, in New Kent County, Virginia located at 7365 Egypt Rd New Kent, Virginia 23124.

QUESTIONS and FORMAT
This tournament will use questions provided by NAQT (IS-161a). We will play a modified Virginia High School League Scholastic Bowl format in which each game will feature two toss-up rounds and one team round: 10 toss-up questions; team round with 20 directed questions. There will be no math calculation toss-up questions but each directed round will have four (4) math calculation questions. Teams will be seeded to preliminary groupings before being reseeded based on record. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games. Trophies will be awarded to the top teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top individual scorers. We reserve the right to cap the field based on availability of space and staff.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $70 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)-no limit to # of systems you can bring
Staff discount: $10 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games not involving the team with which they are affiliated. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Travel: $10 off the school's fee for every 150 one-way miles traveled to New Kent High school between your school's address and New Kent High School according to Google Maps.
Early Registration: $10 off school's total fee if registered by 12/9 and no changes are made prior to the tournament.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0 (you can bring enough buzzers and staffers to eliminate your entire fee via discounts, but you cannot have a "negative fee.")

-To register, e- mail me at mduckworth -at- nkcps.k12.va.us with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. We are also requiring a cell phone contact number belonging to someone who will be attending the tournament, so that we can track you down if you are running late. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at that address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me. I will reply with a registration confirmation. If you do not receive confirmation please contact me in another manner (from a different email address, pm, etc.)

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.
If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, let us know by December 20th so that we can send you the paperwork in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by January 2nd, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players. Teams consisting of fewer than three players may not play without my express prior permission.

FOOD: Breakfast will not be provided by the tournament. For lunch, Pizza, Drinks and various other snacks will be available in our cafeteria for a small fee so teams are encouraged to bring some cash for lunch.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams on the 7th.
Matt Duckworth
Coach-New Kent High School
Matt Duckworth
Coach-New Kent High School
fett0001
Tidus

Re: MRI-5 at New Kent High School, VA (1/7/17) [IS-161a]

Post by fett0001 »

Did this happen?
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech