Rube Goldberg XIV at Michigan State (1/21/17)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Rube Goldberg XIV at Michigan State (1/21/17)

Post by Ciorwrong »

The MSU Academic Competition Club is pleased to announce its fourteenth Rube Goldberg Memorial Tournament on January 21st, 2017.

We are running NAQT IS-160. As such, we will be running NAQT rules (https://naqt.com/rules.html ) . Rounds will be not be timed. Teams will hear at least 10 rounds depending on field size.

We have a 24 team field cap due to staffer constraints. Schools are limited to two teams per school (ie. an A team and a B team). If interest is high and we can find staffers, we will expand the field. We want this to be our biggest tournament of the year so we will try to expand the field if at all possible. Please tell us if you want to bring more than two teams so we can put the C team, etc. on the waitlist. Staffers are appreciated and will get free lunch and gas reimbursement if they volunteer.

Teams are to note that there cannot be more than 6 players per team. We do not want to host 6+ person teams because that makes stats complicated and prevents all the players from playing quizbowl. If the costs of the tournament are so prohibitive that teams are bringing 6+ player teams, please email me and we can work something out.

This tournament will be held in Berkey Hall near Grand River. This is the same place we have held our previous two high school tournaments. This tournament was to be in Wells Hall but another event is happening there that day.

Payment Structure:
$75 - First team
$65 - Second team from a school and on
-$20 - New to quizbowl (no teams from your school have attended a pyramidal quizbowl tournament in the last two years-- let us know if you qualify for this)
-$10 - WORKING buzzer system (If the system is broken, we will revoke this discount. Additionally, if your school said they were bringing a buzzer and didn't, we will ask for the discount back.)
-$10 - Travel over 100 miles one way, as determined by Google maps
-$20 - Experienced moderator (We would appreciate it if we could have more moderators so we could expand the field)
-$5 – Paying for the tournament the day of in cash. Please tell us ahead of time if you plan to pay in cash.
Minimum fee per team: $30

Please pay us by cash or check made out to “MSU Academic Competition Club” on January 21st. Tell us if your team needs an invoice or you need to mail a check before the tournament. We will try to give all the teams invoices the day of the tournament. Please notify us if your team plan to pay after the tournament.

Register by emailing [email protected] and please indicate how many teams your school is planning to bring and if you want to claim any discounts. We are very excited to host this annual tournament January 21 in East Lansing.

Database link.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: Rube Goldberg XIV at Michigan State (1/21/17)

Post by Ciorwrong »

Field Update:

We have 22 teams so far with a field cap of 24. Please sign up ASAP. (Edited 1/17/17)

School Teams Buzzers
UAIS 2 2
Holt 1 2
Grosse Pointe North 1 1
Troy 2 1
Dewitt 1 1
DCC 4 2
Divine Child 4 1
Okemos 2 1
Traverse City Central 1 2
Cabrini 1 1
Lansing Homeschoolers 1 0
Saint Joseph 1 1
Skyline 1 0
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Congrats to Detroit Catholic Central A for clearing the field at 11-0. DCC B came in second at 10-1 and Okemos and DCC C tied for third at 10-2 on the day. I will mail trophies to DCC once they are made.

Thanks to all the teams that came out. I had a lot of fun TDing this tournament and I appreciate the efforts of all my staffers. Please PM me if there were any issues with the stats. Several names were spelled multiple ways on the score sheets. We look forward to seeing teams at our March Madness tournament and at future MSU events!
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired