NAQT Illinois State 2017: 02-11 @ Illinois (Urbana)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Captain Sinico
Auron

NAQT Illinois State 2017: 02-11 @ Illinois (Urbana)

Post by Captain Sinico »

ANNOUNCEMENT
I’m very pleased to announce that this year's NAQT Illinois State Championship will take place on Saturday, February 11, 2017 on the campus of the University of Illinois. This event is jointly hosted by the University of Illinois Academic Buzzer Team (ABT) and Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association (IHSSBCA.) I have the honor of directing this tournament once again.

As with the previous 12 iterations, this year's NAQT Illinois State Championship will be the best venue of competition for Illinois’ very best teams. We award prestigious state titles - both overall and Small School - as well as bids for both national tournaments, PACE NSC and NAQT HSNCT, and we are happy to accept any excellent team, regardless of where in Illinois they happen to be from. You can thus expect the highest level of competition, and commensurate moderation, facilities, and questions from this event, which will also serve as the greatest preparation for other state and national championships.

QUALIFICATION, REGISTRATION & FIELD
To qualify for the Illinois NAQT State Championship, a team must finish in the top 25% at a high school varsity event (tournament, conference, or league;) or in the top 10% at an event with a restricted field+, like a turnabout tournament. If all of the otherwise-qualifying teams from an event were Large Schools by NAQT's definition, then the highest-finishing team from a Small School also qualifies, so long as they finished in the top half of the tournament. Schools may qualify as many teams as the maximum number from that school that met the above criteria at any single tournament.

Tyler Vaughan of the IHSSBCA & ABT is doing the service of finding, verifying and contacting qualified teams. If you qualify, including if you have received notification from IHSSBCA, you may register via NAQT's system. To register, you'll need to make an NAQT account, unless you already have one.

The field is tentatively capped at 36 teams - check NAQT's site for the current field status. As in past years, as I enroll more staff, I will increase the field cap. Qualified registrants below the cap will enter the field on a first come, first served basis. Teams above the cap will be added to a standby list. As I am able to increase the cap, I will admit further teams in the order that I deem best for the tournament, which may not be the order of addition to standby list. Thus, in order to guarantee your spot, please register via NAQT's system as soon as you can!

If you are not (yet) qualified but wish to request a wildcard bid, please e-mail us. For other registration and qualification questions, especially if you think you have qualified but cannot register, contact Tyler Vaughan.

TOURNAMENT QUESTIONS, RULES & FORMAT
This year's NAQT Illinois State Championship will be played on NAQT's 2017 Division II SCT set. Compared to an IS set, this is somewhat harder, contains more rounds, and has no computation questions*, but is otherwise substantially similar.

This tournament will be played under NAQT rules, including timed play. As has been the case for a few years, halves will be 10 minutes in length, as at SCT, as the questions are designed to use that timing.

The format of the NAQT Illinois State Championship will depend on the field size, so I will announce it nearer the event. If possible, I will use a seeded, record-matching card system (similar to HSNCT,) with re-bracketed playoffs. Meaningful record ties will be played off rather than broken statistically.

LOCATION & TRAVEL
The NAQT Illinois State Championship will take place at David Kinley Hall at the University of Illinois. Free weekend parking is available nearby in Lots E2 & E3 and several other places. If you have any travel questions, including requests for directions to the tournament via public transit, please contact us.

DISCOUNTS & FEES
The registration fee for the NAQT Illinois State Championship is $75 for each team. Available discounts are: $5 for each working buzzer system and $10 for each qualified reader who is able to read for the whole tournament (to be clear: we'll also pay any staffers brought by teams - the discount is for teams helping us to locate staffers and bringing them to the tournament.) Obviously, our tournament can’t happen without working buzzer systems or able staff, so please bring as many as you can! You can see more information from NAQT's site.

Checks for registration fees should be made out to the IHSSBCA. If you wish to pay in advance, please contact us for the address. Otherwise, payment is due at the start of the tournament. You'll receive an invoice by e-mail after you register.

CALL FOR STAFF
The NAQT Illinois State Championship can’t happen without staff. Fortunately, our state has a large, able and supportive corps of tournament staffers. If you are one, please register to help at this tournament through Google Form as soon as you can. Staffers will receive monetary compensation ($40 for a qualified, full time moderator) as well as food. I may also be able to assist with travel and even lodging. If you have any questions or want to sign up to staff, please contact us.

MORE INFORMATION
You can post any questions not otherwise addressed here: I'll check this thread and reply daily. You can also contact us by e-mail. Please check this thread for general updates, and check your e-mail for items specific to you.

SUMMARY
NAQT Illinois State Championship is 02-11 at the University of Illinois. Register teams through NAQT's site. Register to staff by filling in a brief Google Form. Post questions, or e-mail us with them.

+Freshman/sophomore-only events are not qualifiers.
*The SCT set has no tossups requiring computation (like the HSNCT set). It may occasionally contain bonus parts that require computation, but no entirely computation-based bonuses (unlike the HSNCT set.)
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Captain Sinico
Auron

Re: NAQT Illinois State 2017: 02-11 @ Illinois (Urbana)

Post by Captain Sinico »

Well, there's a little over a week to go, so let me update you. All the information up-thread is still useful and relevant and I'll avoid repeating it to the extent possible.

TRANSPORTATION
The tournament is still in David Kinley Hall (DKH,) near Sixth Street and Gregory Drive in Urbana - click here for Google Maps directions. If Google can't get you here, please contact us for help, including if you need help getting to the tournament via public transit.

DKH touches two large parking lots, E2 & E3, where you can park at any metered spot - those are free to the public on weekends. Note, I'm talking about metered spots, not spots with blue signs indicating they are reserved 24/7. Do not park in any spot that has a blue sign spot saying that it is rented 24/7 or you are likely to be towed! Lot E2 also has an inner area with a sign indicating no public parking on weekends. In years past, we've been able to park there, too; I will confirm the disposition of that once I get a call back from University Parking. There's also limited, free-on-weekends street parking at meters on Sixth Street and Loredo Taft Drive.

LODGING
If you're looking for hotel rooms nearby, there are several places nearby that had vacancies as of tonight: FIELD
We're currently on 29 teams. I expect that will expand some in the coming days. I will announce a format closer to the event, but we'll follow something similar to previous years. 32 is an extra-good number in terms of using a card system - that would make an initial phase of 5 rounds followed by tiebreak - but we can make anything around this number work okay.

ROSTERS
Many teams have already submitted their roster through NAQT's site. Please make sure your team has a submitted, current roster in the next couple weeks. This will greatly ease our running of the event and should only take a few minutes.

TIMING
I expect teams will register with Mike Laudermith starting at 8:00, with meetings rolling at 8:45 and games by 9:00. Lunch ~12:00, most teams finished ~4:00, though those are more guesses than estimates until the format is nailed down.

QUESTIONS
I forgot to post this useful breakdown of the difficulty of the D-II SCT. If you're unclear on what to expect, check that out!

INVOICES & RECEIPTS
Coaches should have received or will shortly receive an invoice from Tyler Vaughan. If you didn't get your invoice, need an updated or corrected invoice, or need something else in that way like a paper invoice at check-in or receipt, let Tyler know. Please do be prepared to pay at check-in, or make other arrangements with us in advance.

That covers it for now. Please do post any general interest questions in this thread. Anything particular to your team, e-mail us.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

This year's ISC draws near, so how about an update?

CHECK-IN & MEETING TIME
First, let me firm up our start time. It's as expected above: teams can check in with Mike Laudermith beginning at 8:00 outside Room 114 David Kinley Hall. The opening meeting will begin at 8:40 in 114 DKH. Rounds slated as above.

SCHEDULE & FORMAT
We've wound up on 30 teams, so here are our format & Phase I schedule. Everyone gets 10 games minimum; 5 before lunch, 5 after.

NATIONALS QUALIFICATION
I'm proud to announce that we're Platinum Qualifier per PACE, meaning that the top quarter of our excellent field qualifies for this year's NSC in Chicago. Of course, high-finishing teams also qualify for the 2017 NAQT HSNCT and Small Schools can qualify for this year's SSNCT, so there's a great deal to play for!

SMALL SCHOOLS
Speaking of which, per my research, the following schools qualify as "Traditional Public Small Schools" per NAQT's criteria:
  • Dwight (ADM10-12: 211)
  • Edwards County (ADM10-12: 202)
  • Macomb (ADM10-12: 423)
  • New Berlin (ADM10-12: 163)
  • Southwestern (ADM10-12: 353)
These schools' teams are eligible to compete for our Small School Championship, as detailed in the tournament format.

Only Latin School (ADM10-12: ~322) seems to qualify as a "Charter-and-Private Small School," so that division will not be contested this year.

TEAM ILLINOIS
The Team Illinois tryout previously published as being Sunday after ISC will not take place. I will hold an informal scrimmage with formal tryouts announced at a later date. Please e-mail me or post here with questions or for more information.

STANDBY TEAMS
One team has indicated they they may have to withdraw due to circumstances. They are doing their level best to avoid that, but their if you're interested in fielding a standby team, please let us know by e-mail or post here.

That covers what I needed to let you know. Please as ever post here with items of public interest or e-mail.

Until Saturday,
Mike Sorice
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

What set will be used for NASAT tryouts when they do occur? If it's WAO, would it be possible to run on some other set?
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

It won't be WAO, as I know several candidates played that already.
Mike Sorice
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

A team (Dunlap) has had to withdraw, so we have an open spot in the schedule. Please contact me right away if you'd like to take that for your team.
Mike Sorice
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

A quick night-before update:
  • Dunlap has been replaced by Southwestern B. Thanks to Coach Hasquin for agreeing to send a second squad and thanks to several other teams for also expressing willingness to fill that gap. A new schedule is thus needed. The schedule contains some other adjustments that proved necessary or advisable.
  • Per University Parking, parking is allowed in the "No parking on Saturday" area in the north of Lot E2. Please do park there; it's good parking. They also asked me to re-emphasize: do not ever park at a spot with a blue "Reserved 24/7" sign, as you will likely be towed.
  • The Team Illinois scrimmage will take place as traditional on Sunday starting at 1:00. You can e-mail me if you want to know more.
  • Stats will be live via Neg 5 throughout the day. Follow along there & in this thread!
Thank you, good night, and good luck to all competitors,
Mike Sorice
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Mike Sorice
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

We went final at about 5:45 with Stevenson A taking the third game of our 3-game finals series against Barrington to take home the William & Janet Egan Memorial Trophy. Naperville North were 3rd.

Southwestern A won the Small School championship over Macomb in the first game of an advantaged final.

The all-tournament team was:
First team:
Jakob Myers, Naperville North, 190 PPG
Ethan Strombeck, Auburn (94 PPG)
Ali Saeed, Stevenson A (87 PPG)
Lily Hamer, Homewood-Flossmoor A (74 PPG, 15 15s)

Second team:
Brian Kalathiveetil, Waubonsie Valley (74, 10 15s)
John Waldron, Barrington (74 PPG, 9 15s)
Jack Mayer, Loyola (68 PPG)
Jaden Lucas, Carbondale (63).

Stats should be close to final with a couple things maybe missing. I'll post a full recap tomorrow.

Thanks and goodnight,
Mike Sorice
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

For those wanting to join our Team Illinois scrimmage, stop by DKH Room 114 at 1:00. This document will help you grab lunch.
Mike Sorice
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Captain Sinico wrote:For those wanting to join our Team Illinois scrimmage, stop by DKH Room 114 at 1:00. This document will help you grab lunch.
However do not attempt to go to silver mine since they closed a bit less than a year ago (do go to cravings and get hot and spicy chicken or jakarta fried rice or masala fish though)
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Bubalus Period wrote:
Captain Sinico wrote:For those wanting to join our Team Illinois scrimmage, stop by DKH Room 114 at 1:00. This document will help you grab lunch.
However do not attempt to go to silver mine since they closed a bit less than a year ago (do go to cravings and get hot and spicy chicken or jakarta fried rice or masala fish though)

go to fat sandwich
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Bubalus Period wrote:
Time to refine my restaurant list, I guess. They could always visit the burnt-out hulk of C.O. Daniels!
Mike Sorice
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

This Saturday, I had the great honor to direct this year's IHSSBCA/NAQT Illinois State Championship at the University of Illinois. Congratulations to our State Champions, the Patriots of Adlai E. Stevenson High School of Lincolnshire (Nathan Cha, Deepak Moparthi, Govind Prabhakar, & Ali Saeed - Coach Ryan Fedewa!) Stevenson's A team topped our 30-team field at 13-1 to take the William & Janet Egan Memorial Cup and their 4th NAQT State Championship (previous wins in '05, '06, & '11.)

The close runners up were the Broncos of Barrington High School (Matthew Lehmann, Wilder Seitz, & John Waldron - Coach William Rohner). Stevenson A and Barrington entered Phase III with identical 10-0 records, 2 games clear of the field and played a 3-game finals series, in which Barrington took the first game 400-355, but Stevenson A rallied to take games 2 (510-295) and 3 (440-350) and the Egan Cup.

Third place were the Huskies of Naperville North High School (Jack Brandt, Alex Eastman, Jacob Fisher, Emily Hu, Jason Hu, Lily Huang, Christina Liu, Jakob Myers, Nikil Sivapatham, Kevin Tu, Shawn Yoshida, & Alice - Coach Yvonne John) who finished alone at 8-2, ahead of a pack at 7-3.

In the Small School (Traditional Public) division, we saw an inversion of last year's result as the Birds of Southwestern High School A of Piasa (Jacob Simmons, Jonathan Tutterow, Lana Kay Tutterow, & Luke Tutterow - Coach Matt Hasquin) ended their two-tournament runner up streak and overcame the Bombers of Macomb Senior High School A (Clara Barclay, Micah Flores, Theodore Li, & Ben Williams - Coach Suellyn Rieckelman). Macomb and Southwestern A were the only Small Schools to make the Tier II of Phase II, all others being in lower tiers. These teams consequently played a 3-game final with Southwestern A holding a 1-game advantage by dint of its better record. Southwestern A prevailed in the first game of the series 265-220 to take the trophy.

The All-Tournament Teams, based on points per game (PPG) in Phase I (5 rounds,) were:
FIRST TEAM:
Jakob Myers of Naperville North High School (190 PPG)
Ethan Strombeck of Auburn High School of Rockford (94 PPG)
Ali Saeed of Adlai E. Stevenson High School A of Lincolnshire (87 PPG)
Lily Hamer of Homewood-Flossmoor High School A (74 PPG, 15 15s)

SECOND TEAM:
Brian Kalathiveetil of Waubonsie Valley High School of Aurora (74, 10 15s)
John Waldron of Barrington High School (74 PPG, 9 15s)
Jack Mayer of Loyola Academy of Chicago (68 PPG)
Jaden Lucas of Carbondale Community High School (63)

As posted above, full results are available from Neg 5. Corrections (misspelled names, mis-scored rounds, etc.) may be addressed by e-mail.

I hope you'll join me in thanking the tournament staff:
Greg Baboukis
John Brown
Colby Burnett (Fenwick H.S.)
Lisa Cosimini (Mahomet-Seymour H.S.)
Tom Egan (Maine South H.S.)
Mike Etzkorn
Ryan Fedewa (A.E. Stevenson H.S.)
Michael Feltes
Brad Fischer
Brett Hancock (Centennial H.S.)
Zeno Jo (Centennial H.S.)
Mike Kolton (I.M.S.A.)
Mike Laudermith (Fenton H.S.)
Daniel Lee (Centennial H.S.)
Sharon Lorinskas (Carbondale H.S.)
Bryan Lu (Illinois A.B.T.)
Jacob Manaker (U.Chicago)
Bradley McLain (Illinois A.B.T.)
Patrick Minsker (Illinois A.B.T.)
Tom Newman (Rochester H.S.)
Amy Paul (Centennial H.S.)
Colin Ramage
Isaac Soloveychik (Centennial H.S.)
Kristin Strey (Winnebago H.S.)
Will Swardstrom (Edwards County H.S.)
Don Taylor
Koby Theobald (Illinois A.B.T.)
Cole Timmerwilke (Illinois A.B.T.)
Brad Tutterow (Southwestern H.S.)
Everett Underwood (Illinois A.B.T.)
Tyler Vaughan (Illinois A.B.T.)
Steven Vo (Illinois A.B.T.)
Tristan Willey (Illinois A.B.T.)
Marianna Zhang (U.Chicago)

As has ever been the case, this tournament was really put together by its friends and well-wishers. Many coaches, parents, players on local college and high school teams, alumni of these programs, and otherwise all-around good people did a ton of hard, difficult work all day to bring you this tournament. While the excellence of your play and satisfaction at a job well done are excellent recompense, I know that my best motivation is your thanks, and I suspect everyone named above feels the same.

While everyone did plenty of excellent work, these are due special commendation:
Coach Jonathan Legendre & Latin School of Chicago (vital transport help, SMALL SCHOOL CHARTER/PRIVATE SUBDIVISION CHAMPIONS!)
Coach Mike Kolton (fixing afternoon pools)
Tom Egan (setup, stats, control room)
Brad Fischer (moderator briefing; control room help)
Mike Laudermith (setup, registration, treasury)
Bryan Lu (setup)
Kristin Strey (scorekeeper briefing; control room help)
Donald Taylor (setup)
Tyler Vaughan (qualification; assistant TD)

Extra special thanks to:
Centennial High School (as you can see, many Chargers were working when they could have been playing.)
University of Illinois F&S, Parking, etc.
Jeff Hoppes & NAQT.

Good luck to everyone for the rest of the season and happy Valentine's Day, quizbowl!
Last edited by Captain Sinico on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Sorice
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)