2017 LQBA State Championship Tournament

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
adugas
Kimahri

2017 LQBA State Championship Tournament

Post by adugas »

2017 LQBA State Championship Tournament Update

To Louisiana High School Quiz Bowl Coaches and Teams:

Preparations for the 2017 Louisiana State Tournament are underway, and we have had quite a few teams express interest in participating. The tournament is five weeks away, so there is still time to register if your school has not turned in the registration form. Please visit our website at http://www.laquizbowl.org to find out more about this tournament and other upcoming events in the state, as well as resources for coaches and students. To register for the state tournament please fill out the LQBA Registration Form on the wesbite.

Date: Saturday, March 25, 2017
Time: Check-in: 8:00 to 8:30 am
Rounds 1-5 9:00 am through 12:30pm
Playoffs begin at 1:30pm (time approx)

Cost of registration: $60, which includes a pizza lunch (pizza, chips, and a drink) for players and coaches. Checks payable to Louisiana Quiz Bowl Association. Payments and form should be received by March 17, 2017, but please do not hesitate to call our Louisiana Tournament Director, Rick Barry, at 770-241-9945 or email at [email protected] about availability after that date.

Divisions: We will recognize Division I (large school) and Division II (small school) State Champions. We will also recognize the top individual scorers in each division (top three will receive medals in addition to the certificates).

Qualifications: Winners and runners-up of the 2017 State Tournament will qualify for NAQT High School National Championship Tournament and the PACE National Scholastic Championship (top 10%) in 2017.

Format of Play and Statistics: For this transitional year in Louisiana Quiz Bowl, we will have twenty pyramidal, toss-up and bonus questions (NAQT IS-166) with a two-minute worksheet round at the half. At the half, substitutions will be permitted. Full individual and team statistics using SQBS will be compiled on the tournament day and made available on the NAQT website afterwards.

Participating Teams: As of February 22, the schools registered include: [Baton Rouge Magnet, Byrd, Captain Shreve, Catholic-New Iberia, Dutchtown, Episcopal School of Acadiana, Haynes Academy, Jesuit, Pope John Paul II, River Oaks,South Lafourche, St. Martin’s Episcopal, St. Mary’s, E.D. White Catholic, Woodlawn (BR), Vandebilt Catholic]

Please email a list of team members, with current grade level, to the LQBA email account before the tournament. This helps us keep accurate statistics. If you have any readers or volunteers who would like to help staff the tournament, please let us know. Please contact the LQBA board at [email protected] with any questions.
Ashley Dugas
President of the Louisiana Quiz Bowl Association (LQBA) 2016
Math Teacher at the Episcopal School of Acadiana, 2009
Coach at Episcopal School of Acadiana, 2009
sgoebel
Lulu

Re: 2017 LQBA State Championship Tournament

Post by sgoebel »

Field (as of 3/22/17) - 29 schools

Anacoco
Archbishop Hannan
Baton Rouge Magnet
Brother Martin
C.E. Byrd
Caddo Magnet
Captain Shreve
Catholic-New Iberia
Cedar Creek
Dutchtown
Episcopal School of Acadiana
Eunice
Hamilton Christian
Haynes Academy
Jesuit
Neville
North Caddo
Pope John Paul II
River Oaks
South Lafourche
St. Frederick
St. Martin’s Episcopal
St. Martinville
St. Mary’s
South Beauregard
University Lab
Vandebilt Catholic
E.D. White Catholic
Woodlawn (BR)
Last edited by sgoebel on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Goebel
Coach, C.E. Byrd HS 2013-2020
Unaffiliated, Caddo Magnet HS 2020-
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Stephen:

We have 29 teams now as Archbishop Hannan HS has added as of March 20.
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

In division I, Jesuit High School placed first (7-0), Caddo Magnet High placed second (6-1), and Baton Rouge Magnet placed third (5-2).
In division II, St. Martin's Episcopal placed first (7-0), Episcopal School of Acadiana placed second (6-1), and Pope John Paul II H.S. placed third (4-3).

Statistics (and a more detailed results post) should be available tomorrow once I get some sleep.
Stephen Goebel
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Was an overall state championship awarded?
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
sgoebel
Lulu

Post by sgoebel »

mhayes wrote:Was an overall state championship awarded?
No.

I would have been personally interested in seeing the outcome of a match between St. Martin's and Jesuit. The tournament was completely finished at 4:30, though, and I'm not sure if there would have really been time. I didn't even get home until after 9 pm because I had to drive back to Shreveport.

Keep in mind that the use of divisions is not set in stone for future years. I think this issue will be discussed a lot over the summer.

The stats are now up on the NAQT website: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=8033
Stephen Goebel