Illinois Pre-Nats Octangular: 5-13/2017

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Illinois Pre-Nats Octangular: 5-13/2017

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

The Academic Buzzer Team at the University of Illinois is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a Prison Bowl Mirror on May 13th, 2017. I, Brad McLain, will be serving as tournament director. More information on this set may be found here:http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=19510.

This tournament is meant to help contender-level teams prepare for nationals by providing similarly skilled competition. As a result, B-teams, with certain exceptions, and teams not part of the first wave of invitations will be waitlisted until April 22nd, Teams that are not part of the first wave of invitations can register by emailing me at bamclai2@illinois DOT edu

Additionally, the field will be hard capped at 8 teams. We simply do not have access to more rooms due to graduation events.

The tournament will be located in the Thomas M. Siebel Center for Computer Science. For teams that have attended our previous tournaments this is a very different venue, on the opposite end of campus, so please familiarize yourself with the area before the tournament date.

Special Note:
This tournament coincides with the University of Illinois' graduation ceremonies. This is essentially the busiest, perhaps only matched by move-in day, that Champaign-Urbana will be in a given year. We highly advise all teams to budget an extra 15-30 minutes for getting to the tournament. Furthermore, food options will, in general, be very busy. We advise teams to make advanced orders the night before.

Parking:
A map of parking can be found here: http://www.parking.illinois.edu/visitor ... arking-map. We recommend that teams park at the parking garage located at University and Goodwin. Note, while all metered parking (yellow on the map) is free of charge on weekends lots that read 24/7 reserved and parking spaces with blue reserved signs are still off-limits. Siebel Center is #563 on the map.

Food:
There are many food options within walking distance of Siebel both along Green Street and in the basement of the Illini Union. A full guide to local food will be provided both in the logistics email and day-of the tournament, although our warning about ordering food in advanced still applies.

Fee Structure:
$50 per team
-$5 for each buzzer system
-$15 for each staffer
-$10 for each 200 miles traveled, one way
Minimum fee: $30
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Re: Illinois Pre-Nats Octangular: 5-13/2017

Field:
Auburn
DCC A
DCC B
Harrison
Homewood Flossmoor
University Lab (Urbana) A
University Lab (Urbana) B
Wayzata

Waitlist:

EDIT: formatting
EDIT: field updates
Last edited by Father of the Ragdoll on Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
Father Comstock
Lulu

Post by Father Comstock »

Harrison would like to soft reserve a spot. If it gets to 7 sometime soon, please let me know. Why is it capped at only 8 teams?

EDIT: I read. Question answered.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Father Comstock wrote:Harrison would like to soft reserve a spot. If it gets to 7 sometime soon, please let me know. Why is it capped at only 8 teams?

Spots are initially reserved for those who are on the invite list. You will be added to the waitlist in the meantime.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father Comstock
Lulu

Post by Father Comstock »

Illinois Admin wrote:
Father Comstock wrote:Harrison would like to soft reserve a spot. If it gets to 7 sometime soon, please let me know. Why is it capped at only 8 teams?

Spots are initially reserved for those who are on the invite list. You will be added to the waitlist in the meantime.
Oh. I read more then I saw that. Looks like quite a competitive field so far!!
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

If you are not on this list or are outside the Midwest and would like to attend, please email me.

EDIT: removed teams whose contact info was acquired.
EDIT: Thank you Beaver Creek for helping find the remaining team's contact info
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

All of the invitations have been sent out. If you did not receive one and want to attend, please email me at bamclai2@illinois DOT edu. On the 22nd the field will be opened and the waitlist will be moved into the active field. Teams with soft reservations will lose priority to any registered team on this day as well unless prior arrangements with me are made.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

So the field is now open to anyone who would like to attend. To sign up, please fill out this form:https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/ur ... kSW0Ejc&e=.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

The field is now closed.
Edit: Updating field availability
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Stats are posted here:https://neg5.herokuapp.com/t/Bk36zc7xW/stats#SyUMI5Xeb

Congrats to DCC A for taking home first place. DCC B got 2nd, Wayzata 3rd, and Auburn 4th. Thanks again to all of the staff who made this happen and all the teams that traveled out here to play!
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)