Ohio Quizbowl 05-06

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Ohio Quizbowl 05-06

Post by DH TTHS »

I guess the old thread got retired and since nobody had bothered to make a new one I figured what the heck. So if you want to make any posts about Ohio teams, players, format, tournaments, or just whatever feel free to do it here.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

"No Frills" was held today at Copley...

Two brackets of 10 teams -- ASCN Format

Bracket A
1st Place - Fisher Catholic (Who beat the snot out of everyone and are my early season pick to take states)
2nd Place - Copley A

Bracket B
1st Place - Copley B (they weren't THAT good, the bracket just wasn't loaded)
2nd Place - Gilmour Academy (should've won the bracket)

We played without our captain who is probably one of the best players in the state this year, and my team of 2 juniors, a sophomore and a freshmen with about 10 matches combined of varsity experience went 6-3, so I'm not complaining one bit...

I tip my hat to Fisher... Kyle, you guys look good so far... keep it up.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

ASCN format? Who supplied the questions for this?

Second question: will there be an ASCN next May? Hmm... :neutral:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

ETC-
Sue, Andy and their cronies write the questions in-house... they like the ASCN format even more so than OAC... so they created the "No-Frills" tournament last year... Its a really good time, and a really fun 'preseason' tournament.
Bob Kilner

FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

bob,
Thanks for the nod, we were all really excited to be back and came out on top of our game. I'd look for copley to come back stronger by their next tournament, though, they always do. Other than them, our bracket was a bit weak. how'd St. Charles and Walsh look on the blue side? I'm also excited to see how tipp and solon and last years strong teams are coming back. I know it's really early to tell, but what other teams might look promising? I hope budgets don't hurt too many programs this year. Anyways, it was a fun tournament, good luck this year. I'm sure it will be a good one.
-kyle
Let the Looking-Glass creatures, whatever they be
Come dine with the Red Queen, the White Queen and Me
FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

Bob, one more thing, who's your captain this year?
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Kyle-
We returned Jim Hrdlicka, who was basically our best player last year. As I said though, he was taking the SAT and unable to attend. Walsh wasn't that good even though they returned their best player... we beat them. Gilmour was strong in our bracket. St. Charles was much-improved... I know they made states from your region last year, but we smacked them every time we played them... they will be a force. I don't think our budget will hurt us this year... we raise all our own money, but although we've been struggling with levies the past 3 or 4 years... I think they'll keep us around even if it fails.

Bob
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

A big weekend coming up with both the Case Celeb Shootout, Fisher Catholic Golden Shamrock, and the Aurora Early Bird all on Saturday...and I only know a few details about the fields in each. Anybody have any information?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Last I heard, Solon was taking something on the order of 25 people to Celebrity Shoot (all the recruiting pays off after I leave ;( )
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Must be nice, I think we technically have like 7 on the team and like 3 or 4 stragglers, but getting more than 4 to show up for practice is a chore, and it would be one thing if they were missing practice for a good reason, but most of them just don't want to be there... things are getting mighty dismal in Garfield.... all hope may be abandoned when Jim graduates in June.
Bob Kilner

FCqb
Lulu

Golden Shamrock

Post by FCqb »

hey guys,
The Shamrock is indeed this weekend, I'll post results here after saturday. OAC format, I think Tipp and St. Charles are coming among other schools. Good luck to everyone going to case/aurora.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Aurora top division results

In the top division at the Aurora tournament, Gilmour Academy defeated Western Reserve Academy 55-52 after extra questions to claim their spot in the Regional tournament. Full credit to WRA, though, for coming back and playing Gilmour tough after losing to them earlier in the tournament by 20.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Celebrity Shootout went fairly well, although having to have the team rounds in the unheated chapel was rather interesting... my coaches team (Bob, Eric, Sue Korosa, Andy Stephens) finished 350 points higher than the #1 team, DCC...

Our captain for the day, Dan Humphrey, tied for 5th overall and received an outstanding freshman/sophomore award

Zeke Watson, a junior tied for 9th... our other two made the playoffs, one of them had to play Zeke in the first round, the other lost in the 2nd round...

I guess some sophomore from Copley upset Nick Galea from DCC in the finals to win the tournament. From what Eric told me, she was seeded somewhere between like 25-35... although that could just be eric talking... if she was, hats off to her.

I think the tournament was run alright... alot of downtime that will need to be corrected if Buzzerpalooza and Great Lakes are to remain 1-day tournaments... I think once Roger and his crew get on the same page, everything will work well...

The questions were rather easy, the easiest they've been in awhile... I mean, our coaches team won last year with a score of something like 1100, we put up 1650 this year.

Kyle, any news from Fisher?
Bob Kilner

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

BobGHHS wrote:The questions were rather easy, the easiest they've been in awhile... I mean, our coaches team won last year with a score of something like 1100, we put up 1650 this year.
Since I wrote most of the set this year, I was really worried that the questions were really too hard in some parts of the competition. Of course, I am not worried as long as they were hard in the RIGHT parts... :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

ETC--
Sitting with Allison at lunch, she mentioned that you wrote the majority of the questions. I thought they were rather easy (from a coach's perspective of course)... but they weren't easy b/c of total information... alot of them had major giveaways at the end...

Balance was an issue during the written test sometime... I won't go into which question I'm talking about here b/c I'm not sure if the HSCS has happened down in NC yet...

Overall, I had a good time though, and I'm sure the kids did too.
Bob Kilner

First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Just send it to me offline from here, I can see what I can do about it. North Carolina's won't run for another couple of weeks.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
FCqb
Lulu

Shamrock Results

Post by FCqb »

The Golden Shamrock went over well, I think, it was a good tournament from the biased perspective. I thought some of the rounds were way to easy at times and some questions were lame, such as spell mayonnaise or identify the author by the last word in every stanza of a poem. But you do get that sometimes in OAC.
Finals were between three bracket winners and three wild cards

Round 1:
FC and Olentangy Lib. recieved byes as first and second seed
Lancaster vs. St. Charles, Lancaster wins
Granville vs. Tippicanoe, Granville wins
Round 2:
FC vs. Granville, FC Wins
Olentangy vs. Lancaster, Olentangy Wins
Finals:
Fisher Catholic beats Olentangy Liberty

For the first time in 9 years a Fisher team wins the Golden Shamrock,
I think it's usually been Copley in the past. I don't have the scores, but I can post them later. Olentangy was pretty good, no one else was consistently strong. Thanks to everyone who came or helped out. Congrats to the winners of Case and Aurora.

*incorrect answer of the day:
Mod: Space, Alaska, Poland...*buzz
Me: The Last Frontiers.
...Thats right, Poland is the last frontier not a book by Michener.

-Kyle
FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

Anyone here going to Tipp nov.5 for some NAQT??? just curious.
96sininep

Post by 96sininep »

I know there will be at least one winning team in Ohio this year.

Hear that Bengal growlin', mean and ang-a-ree,
Here he comes a prowlin', lean and hung-a-ree,
An offensive brute, run, pass, or boot,
And defensively he's rough! Tough!
Cincinnati Bengals, that's the team we're gonna cheer to vic-to-ry!
Touchdown Bengals!
Get some points up on that board and win a game for Cincinnati!
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Whoever is going to Defiance/St. Charles tomorrow, please give us results when you can.

Who all is going to Bowling Green next weekend? Pitt?
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

Defiance had two divisions. The two division winners were Van Wert and Tippecanoe.
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
First Chairman
Auron

Case v. Duke HSCS results

Post by First Chairman »

In case you hadn't seen them in the Regular Season Tournaments subgroup, I have posted the results from both the Case and Duke HSCS tournaments. It's interesting to see how each subfield did, and certainly the difference between adult and student performances. But it is a bit surprising how some teams performed when comparing their scores.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Two more qualifiers to Regionals...Copley and Twinsburg come out of the first season of the Summit County League.

For details...
link
FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

I hesitate to post on St. Charles, because I don't know the complete results, but since no one else has... We won our bracket on points (three way tie) and were the highest scroing team there. Copley won their bracket and Olentangy Liberty, who made the finals of the golden shamrock, won theirs. The other team/teams elude me. I was disappointed because there were no finals and some question were really lacking or poorly edited. Overall it was a decent tournament though. Until the next match, may you all fight the good fight.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Who finished second behind your team and Copley?
FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

Wilmington and Columbus Academy also had only one loss in our bracket. Copley was up against mostly B teams, they probably weren't really challenged for their win, I don't know who was behind them.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Most of you should've received an email, but I created a separate board for Ohio Quizbowl to try to bring the coaches and players and teams together somewhat. I still will use this board for all the fun comparisons and tournament announcements, but I felt compelled to create another one for Ohio.

http://www.createphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=oac

Bob
Bob Kilner

solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Why, though? Don't you want to get Ohio quizbowl out of its provincial mindset by getting them to post on this board?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Why you ask?

Because we've already tried to get them to join this board, but they're stuck in that in-state mindset, hopefully by getting them to join a board in our own home state, I can expand it to nationally...

Bob
Bob Kilner