Toronto Novice HS Tournament - NAQT IS-169A (Dec. 2, 2017)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Calculus?
Wakka

Toronto Novice HS Tournament - NAQT IS-169A (Dec. 2, 2017)

Post by Calculus? »

Hello Canada!

The University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club is pleased to announce our annual high school novice tournament, which will take place on December 2nd, 2017 on the University of Toronto St. George Campus. The tournament will take place in Sidney Smith Hall, with control as room 2127. Please meet there by 9:00 AM, and the tournament will start at 9:30.

This tournament will be using NAQT set IS-169A, which is at a similar difficulty level to past incarnations of this tournament, and is suitable for novice players. Please note that this will be the same set as the Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament which will be held on the same day.

To register your school for this tournament, please email me at meghan [dot] torchia [at] mail [dot] utoronto [dot] ca.

Fees and Discounts
$80 for the first team from a school
$40 for each subsequent team
-$10 discount per working buzzer set (note that this is dependent on the # of sets, not the # of teams. That is, if a school sends two teams but one buzzer set, they will still only get the discount once)

If you have any questions, comments, etc. please feel free to post them here.

CURRENT FIELD:

Chaminade A
Chaminade B
UTS A
UTS B
White Oaks A
White Oaks B
Ilium
Central Richmond Hill A
Central Richmond Hill B
Central Richmond Hill C
Westmount
East Scarborough
Last edited by Calculus? on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Meghan Torchia
President, University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club (2015-2018)
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
University of Toronto, 2018, 2023
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Toronto Novice HS Tournament - NAQT IS-169A (Dec. 2, 201

Post by Calculus? »

Post has been updated with location, time, and field cap. If you have not confirmed with me how many teams you will be bringing, please do so ASAP as the field is almost full.

EDIT: I have removed the field cap. Please continue to register.
Meghan Torchia
"Garlic 2: Around the World" LearnedLeague 1-Day 49th/1150 (96th %ile), February 9th, 2022
Calculus?
Wakka

Re: Toronto Novice HS Tournament - NAQT IS-169A (Dec. 2, 201

Post by Calculus? »

Here is the logistics email I sent out to teams:

LOCATION AND TRANSPORTATION
The tournament will be taking place at Sidney Smith Hall (100 Saint George Street) on the U of T St. George campus. For those who have never been, it’s the building with an enormous banner reading “Arts & Science” on it. Our control room will be 2127, on the second floor. Note that I previously listed room 2101 as our control room in my forum post, it has been changed to 2127. The tournament will begin at 9:30 AM, so please make sure you are there by 9:00 so I have time to register you and set up your buzzers if you are bringing them.

If you are driving, the closest parking can be found underground at 107 Saint George Street. If you are taking transit, get off at St. George subway station (St. George exit, not Bedford Road) and walk south along Saint George Street until you reach the building. I am attaching a map showing where the building is.

If you are coming from the north, please note that there will be no subway service between Sheppard West and Wilson stations on this day.

Also note that on weekends, the doors to the building are usually locked except for the northeast exit (the one on St. George Street closest to the Ramsay Wright building). Sometimes only one door in that exit is actually unlocked. If you’ve tried all the doors there and you still can’t get into the building, let me know and I’ll have someone come get you.

PAYMENT

As stated in my original announcement, I will accept cash, cheque, or e-transfer/PayPal. Cheques should be made out to “University of Toronto Academic Trivia Club”, not to me personally. Please be ready to pay before the tournament starts. Note that all prices given are in CAD.

FORMAT

As of writing this email, we have 11 teams registered for the tournament. (Reminder that if you need to change the # of teams you are sending for whatever reason please let me know as soon as possible.) We will be playing an 11-game round robin (each team will have a bye) followed by an advantaged final if necessary. Teams will be given game schedules the day of. Lunch will take place after round 6 and will last about 45 minutes. Lunch will not be provided, so please either bring a packed lunch or some money to purchase one. There are a variety of cheap lunch options around campus (on Bloor Street to the north and College Street to the south). The tournament is expected to end around 3-4 PM.

Finally, if you have any questions/concerns that I haven’t addressed here, please feel free to reply to this email. If an issue arises on the day of, the fastest way to contact me is to send me a text at [REDACTED].

EDIT: Just a note that we now have 12 teams, but the 11-game round robin format will remain the same, only teams will play every round instead of having a bye
Meghan Torchia