Matador Invitational at Valencia College: Feb. 17, 2018

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Matador Invitational at Valencia College: Feb. 17, 2018

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Valencia College is happy to announce the Second Annual Matador Invitational for HS teams on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018. This tournament is ABSOLUTELY FREE. And we'll provide lunch. How could you say no?

Due to this largesse, schools are limited to a maximum of two teams each. We have a cap of 32 teams, so if you'd like to bring a third (or more) teams, please indicate that in your reply here (or e-mail to me), and if we don't reach 32, we'll take teams beyond two in order of request.

This tournament will use NAQT IS-171A, so please ensure you don't play that earlier in the year, obviously. The tournament will be held on Valencia's West Campus (Orlando, FL) in Buildings 9 and 7; here's a campus map: http://valenciacollege.edu/map/west-campus.cfm. We'll register teams from 9-9:45 a.m., with matches beginning promptly at 10 a.m. We expect to be done by 6 p.m. at the latest. Please let me know if you'll be interested in a hotel the night before; if enough teams are interested, I can see about setting up a block at a nearby Wingate we've used for college tournaments in the past, but in any case, because this campus is three miles from Universal Studios, there are numerous nearby hotels.

To register, reply here or e-mail me at cborglum at valenciacollege dot edu. Please note that, since this tournament was created to try to bring good quizbowl to the somewhat barren wasteland of Orange County, FL, I'm holding six slots for local Orlando high schools. So register soon!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: Matador Invitational at Valencia College: Feb. 17, 2018

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Field as of November 28:
Clermont East Ridge (2)
Kissimmee Celebration (2)
Lake City Columbia (2)
Sanford Crooms (1)
Orlando University (1)
(Orlandoish) Winter Park (2)
Community School (Naples) (2)--tentative
Gainesville Eastside (2)
Ponta Vedra Nease (1)
Orlando Boone (1)
Orlando Christian Prep (1)
DeSoto County (1)
(Orlandoish) Ocoee (1-2)
Ft. Lauderdale American Heritage (2)
Tampa Middleton (1)
Polk Chain of Lakes (2)
Lake Minneola (1)
DeSoto County (1)
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: Matador Invitational at Valencia College: Feb. 17, 2018

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So this happened, and the A team from Celebration High School (Osceola County, FL) won, going undefeated, beating Ponte Vedra Nease HS in the final. A fine time was had by all. Here are some stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
Chris Borglum