2006 NAQT Ohio State Championship - March 11, 2006

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BobGHHS
Rikku

2006 NAQT Ohio State Championship - March 11, 2006

Post by BobGHHS »

The Garfield Heights High School Academic Team is proud to present to 2006 NAQT Ohio State Championship Tournament to be held on March 11, 2006 at Garfield Heights HS in Garfield Heights, Ohio. The tournament will decide the state championships in 2 or 3 divisions (depending on field size) and will qualify the top 15% of the field for NAQT Nationals (to be held in Chicago in June). We would like to get brackets of 8, however, each team will be guaranteed at least 5 matches, and most (if not all) will play much more. Divisional placement for schools will be decided by overall school enrollment (i.e. Large school divison, small school division, etc). Multiple teams from the same school will play in the same division, but not necessarily the same bracket.

The tournament cost will go as follows:

$100 – First Team
$75 – Additional Teams
-$10 – Buzzer System (No Maximum)

Travel Discounts (via Mapquest)

-$10 - 100-299 miles
-$20 – 300+ miles

Lodging is available in many nearby cities (look in Independence). Downtown Cleveland is only about 10 minutes away for those of you who would like to visit some of the sites of the city. Lunch at the tournament will be open, as we would like you to patronize many Garfield businesses. Burger King is right across the street. Marcos Pizza, Tiffanys Pizza (my workplace -- great food), Subway, Gepetto's, and several other restaurants are in walking distance.

Each team will be required to bring an experienced STAFF member, who may or may not be used to read, but will be used in some capacity. If anyone knows of any 'free agents' who would be able to come read or scorekeep, please let me know as well.

Each team will receive a free copy of the questions (15 rounds worth).

The top 3 teams in each division (after playoffs) will receive an award, as well as the top 4 overall scorers and the individual neg king.

For those of you not familiar with NAQT rules, please visit NAQT.com. There will be no bouncebacks on bonuses at the NAQT State Championship tournament. All Ohio schools are welcome to compete. The cutoff date for registration will be sometime in late January or early February (TBA). Please email me a copy of the registration form and remit a copy with payment. If you need some type of invoice, please let me know and I can create one and email it to you. After the final registration deadline, no refunds will be issued, so however many teams you pay for, please send that many teams.

2005 Results

Participants: Solon, Garfield Heights, Tippecanoe, Salem, Lowellville (x2), Medina (x2), Boardman, Geneva, Firestone, Copley, Lakeside, Ravenna, Campbell Memorial (x2), Girard, Navarre Fairless

Division I Champion – Firestone HS
Division I Runner-Up – Garfield Heights HS
Division II Champion – Tippecanoe HS
Division II Runner-Up – Salem HS
All-Class State Champion - Solon HS
All-Class State Runner-Up - Garfield Heights HS

Top Scorer – Noah Rahman, Solon HS (12)
2nd – Zach Witeof, Tippecanoe HS (12)
3rd – Joe Shivers, Salem HS (11)
4th - David Graham, Firestone HS (12)
5th – Jim Hrdlicka, Garfield Heights HS (11)

Please join us as we crown the 2006 NAQT State Champions and State Place-winners. We would like to have each part of the state represented. I hope you can make it.

Bob Kilner
Coach – Garfield Heights HS and Tournament Director – NAQT States

Please email me at [email protected] for more information or to request a registration form.
Last edited by BobGHHS on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Teams that have already registered:

Garrettsville James A. Garfield - 2 Teams
Solon - Multiple Teams
Garfield Heights - 1/2 teams
North Olmsted - 2 Teams

Teams that have expressed interest:

Lancaster Fisher Catholic
Parma Senior High School

Hopefully more to come.
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Akron Firestone - the 2005 NAQT Ohio Division I State Champion has confirmed their appearance on March 11th.
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

St. Charles Prep will be bringing at least 3 and possibly 5 teams to Garfield on March 11.
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Ashtabula Lakeside - 4th Place in Division 1 Last Year will be coming to Garfield on the 11th.
Bob Kilner

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I split the Basileius stuff to the Forbidden Zone. Read that thread for an explanation.

MaS