GSAC XIII Results

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

GSAC XIII Results

Post by jbarnes112358 »

1. Richard Montgomery A
2. Raleigh Charter A
3. TJHSST A
4. Princess Anne
5 thru 8 (in alphabetical order)
Charlottesville A
Georgetown Day
Richard Montgomery B
TJHSST B

The top four teams qualify for PACE Nationals. Since, I'm pretty sure the top 3 have already qualified, as they have all won significant tournaments this year, the qualifying spots move down accordingly. Some of the others in this group may have already qualified, as well. It seems very likely that all of these 8 teams would qualify. They can contact PACE for more information. Since PACE is in Durham this year, it should be a fairly easy trip for these teams. MLWGS plans to be there with two teams. (and hopefully a third can qualify somehow.)

In our consolation bracket, Collegiate A beat Godwin A.

Thanks to all teams who came. I know some of the questions were a little tough at times, but I hope everyone enjoyed the challenging competition. I apologize for the delays, as we got about an hour or so behind by day's end. We started a little late, and each round was taking about 5 minutes longer than anticipated as we were beta-testing the real-time Swiss-pairing software. I believe this was only the second time this software has been used in a real tournament.
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

wow, RM A went from really good to amazing really quickly . How much did these house written questions differ from NAQT? and will there be team stats posted?

those top 3 teams are probably gonna be top 3 at nationals too...
Abhi Hendi
University Of Pennsylvania '10
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Hopefully, we will be able to post more detail in the next couple of days.

RMA was certainly impressive. But, so were Raleigh Charter and TJ. These three teams met each other during the day in close games. I don't recall exactly how these games transpired, but none of the three were undefeated against the other two.

I'm sure all three will be major contenders at Nationals. Too bad State College couldn't make the trip due to the storm. That would have really made for a showdown of national proportions.
Last edited by jbarnes112358 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

I'd like to thank Gov for running a great tournament. Although it did go slightly longer than expected, the questions were very good - the later rounds did increase in difficulty, but no more than would be expected of playoff rounds. The Swiss pairings also made the prelims quite interesting: TJ A played RM A in Round 2, and Raleigh Charter A in Round 3.

The house questions were similar in style and difficulty to NAQT, and there was a math question in most packets (hooray!) They also had each packet "brought to you by" one of the FBI's 10 most wanted - quite a cool idea.

EDIT:

I believe TJ A defeated RM A in round 2, then defeated Raleigh Charter A in round 3 by 5 points. I don't know whether Raleigh Charter A played RM A during the prelims.
Last edited by dschafer on Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
insaneindian
Wakka

Post by insaneindian »

jbarnes112358 wrote:Hopefully, we will be able to post more detail in the next couple of days.

RMA was certainly impressive. But, so were Raleigh Charter and TJ. These three teams met each other during the day in close games. I don't recall exactly how these games transpired, but none of the three were undefeated against the other two.
ok, thats what i was interested in knowing. But still, pretty impressive. Congrats toall those top teams in what is probably one of the most stacked fields of any tournament this year
Abhi Hendi
University Of Pennsylvania '10
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

dschafer wrote:
I believe TJ A defeated RM A in round 2, then defeated Raleigh Charter A in round 3 by 5 points. I don't know whether Raleigh Charter A played RM A during the prelims.
I believe Ralegh Charter A beat RM A by 10 points in prelims. And RM A beat TJ A in playoffs. It truly was a battle among these powerful peers, but RM A was the last team standing when all was said and done.
DavidH
Lulu

Post by DavidH »

This should really make for an intense tournament in Chicago... I think Savannah might make our debut this year. We've gone to two NAQT tournaments so far this year and the format is growing on coach Luce. (if anyone really cares that is)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Or even at PACE NSC. I would ask that you keep your marching bands at home. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Final statistics

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Any chance you could post results and information such as final rankings and individual and team stats? Our team would appreciate to be able to see the data.
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Supposedly, Angela is working on them. Sorry for the delay.
gsacdirector
Lulu

Post by gsacdirector »

Stats for prelims are finally up! They can be found on our site http://www.geocities.com/mlwgsbob/. I'm very sorry for the huge delay...if you remember, the program sort of crashed due to a data entry error before round 6, so I had to manually enter the data from that round. However, I was missing two scoresheets when I was entering the individual stats at a later time, so the players from Centreville A, Princess Anne B, Collegiate A, and TJ B do not have their stats from round 6 entered [the program calculated it as if they didn't play in round 6, so the PPTU and PPG should still be somewhat accurate].
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Any chance that the questions will be made available?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

The questions can be purchased for $20 by e-mail or $25 for paper copies. Contact Angela at [email protected] if you are interested.

However, since you are from New Trier I can e-mail you a copy for your team's use at no charge since you made your questions available on the internet and we have been using them in practice. Just e-mail me at [email protected] and I will get them to you next week.

I would also be willing to barter for other tournaments. If anyone is interested please e-mail me at [email protected]