ACE Quiz Bowl Camp

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Popstar4u
Kimahri

ACE Quiz Bowl Camp

Post by Popstar4u »

I was just wondering on average about how many females from your school attend the camp. Another girl and I on my schools team are thinking about going next July (since it will be our last chance, becoming seniors and all) and we were just unsure about what the ratio of guys to girls are. Thanks.
Out to prove that not all blondes are stupid, one tournament at a time.
fancynancy
Lulu

ACE

Post by fancynancy »

There actually were many more girls than I expected (I went to SEMO ACE this last summer). I suppose there were fewer females than males, but I don't think it was all that big of a deal. Although, considering that I go to an all-girls boarding school, I wouldn't have minded being the only girl, if that were to have happened :-P.

Don't worry about that type of thing, though. Here's why: (1) It's only a week out of your summer (2) Its very much worth going to. My experience at ACE has proved extremely helpful this year. (3) It's actually quite fun. I was skeptical coming in, but I didn't really want to leave at the end.

You should definitely come. Hope to see you there!
Nancy
Saint Mary's (Raleigh, NC) '07
Samford University '11
mrs. dalloway
Lulu

Post by mrs. dalloway »

Having attended camp for three years, I second everything Nancy said (half the fun of camp is all the guys). There is a wide range of people there; don't expect "quiz bowl camp" to be full of kids who spend their free time memorizing more digits of pi or reading Homer in the original Greek. Although if that's your thing, you'll find someone there to hang out with. And as a girl, it's always nice to beat some cocky boy who thinks he can take you.
"That's the problem with real life. People don't just break into musical song and dance."
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

For any and all who are interested,

http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com

SEMO is usually 35% female and Maryville is usually about 20% female.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Thanks for the link... looks like something I might need to find funding for..
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Dr Barry,
Is there going be a coach's session during the ACE camp?
miamiqb
Lulu

Post by miamiqb »

also, is ace camp looking for teachers/coaches? I would love to work for ace for a few weeks.
I like to eat peanut butter
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

A couple of our kids are wanting to go to the Tennessee camp, and I figure I'll go too if they do. A coaches workshop would be very interesting and helpful. I also wouldn't mind helping out with the camp in some kind of capacity.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

We do coaches workshops (usually TWO sessions of 1.5 hours each) IF we have enough coaches registered who are interested. We had them at SEMO and at Maryville in 2005. We will always be prepared to conduct them at every camp. One year we really only had 2-3 coaches who wanted that, so I just sat down with them and we discussed anything they wanted with ltsa questions and a few good answers!

Right now we are still waiting on our regulars to know if we will need any new staff.