Limiting teams?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Limiting teams?

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Many schools are now bringing 3-5 teams to tournaments. This would not be a concern, BUT at some smaller tournamnets this means that a smaller 1 team school may not be able to go, as the field fills up....

The question posed here is, should teams be allowed to bring several (more than 3) teams to a fairly small to mid-sized tournament, at the expense of the small teams that are not able to go?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Is it no longer common practice for tournaments with limited fields to put C, D, etc teams on the waiting list until everyone has a chance to enter A and B teams
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Being the coach of a team with 25-30 active players:

I specifically look for tournaments that can accomodate us bringing 4-6 teams. A tournament can of course limit its field. For example, Princeton said 2 teams each and we went because we expected the field to be good.

So if a school doesn't get to go I suspect one of two things is true: (a) the tournament should limit each school to 2 or 3 teams or (b) the denied team waited too long to register.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I know that St. Charles (Columbus) here in Ohio generally brings 5 teams to each tournament. Two weeks ago at Case they had 8 teams...

However, their coach is courteous enough to ask ahead of time to register 3 or 4, and then if the tournament has room, to let her add more.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

In Illinoois more than two teams is strongly discouraged unless the tournament director needs to fill slots and there are no more B teams available.