Would anybody come to a Harvard tournament in October?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Kyle
Auron

Would anybody come to a Harvard tournament in October?

Post by Kyle »

Would there be any interest among the teams that read this board for an NAQT-style tournament at Harvard in October? Say, Saturday, October 14? I know there is an ever-increasing number of teams in New England - and MIT had a decent field at their tournament this spring - but it would be cool to get some teams from out of the region as well. It's worth pointing out that Harvard's early action deadline is November 1, so a trip to play quiz bowl on a weekend in early October could easily be coupled with a trip to Boston to scout out colleges.
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

I might get my team to come from NYC.
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

I know if you held one that didn't conflict with any local tournaments Gonzaga from Washington DC would come.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

The one junior sitting next to me says that TJ would be interested in attending such a tournament. Would the questions be house-written or NAQT?
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Wow - it's great that there seems to be some interest. To answer the other posts:

We definitely want to have the tournament on the Saturday in October that conflicts the least with other tournaments. I mentioned 10/14 as a possible date because I know TJ was looking at Columbus Day weekend (10/7-9) and I had seen announcements in other threads for tournaments on the 21st. But if you're interested, let me know what date would work best and we'll choose the one that will get the most teams.

Re: the questions - what do you think? Would you all rather have NAQT questions or house-written (the latter meaning by Sam, John, Adam, Julia, and me)? Massachusetts, incidentally, is not one of the 15 states that gets free questions from NAQT, so having NAQT questions might raise the entrance fee a little. Just let me know what you all want.

Kyle
Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I dont speak for all of Gonzaga but house written questions are good
Dan Puma
Alum: Gonzaga, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
Currently Unaffiliated
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Former Member, PACE
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

In general, you'll probably get more teams and a larger number of teams from further away with house-written questions than with NAQT questions simply because there's a limit to the number of NAQT rounds available in a year.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Not to mention there are NAQT geographic restrictions to contend with...
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
mhanna
Lulu

Post by mhanna »

I question whether you will actually hold the tournament on October 7 or any other date, NAQT questions or house-written. Harvard has announced tournaments in the past that lead teams to make plans, raise travel money, obtain their 60-day notice for out of state travel and then you cancelled. That is what happened to us when we very much wanted to go to Harvard on more than one occasion.

Mac Hanna
Aiken High
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Depending upon the weekend, Seton Hall Prep (NJ) would be interested in attending.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

mhanna wrote:I question whether you will actually hold the tournament on October 7 or any other date, NAQT questions or house-written. Harvard has announced tournaments in the past that lead teams to make plans, raise travel money, obtain their 60-day notice for out of state travel and then you cancelled. That is what happened to us when we very much wanted to go to Harvard on more than one occasion.
My teammates and I will all be sophomores next fall and we're relatively new at this, and I guess that's why I wasn't aware that Harvard had ever hosted (or tried to host, or claimed to be trying to host) a high school tournament of any sort. Even so, honestly, what you describe does not surprise me at all. Please understand that that is precisely the reputation we are going to turn around. This thread is just to see if there is any interest in a Harvard tournament in October and, based on the replies, it seems that there is some. If later this month I make a new thread announcing a tournament with a specific date, time, location, format, and pay structure, I promise you that tournament will occur exactly as announced.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

For that reason alone, I'd worry more about running an event well with the teams that are relatively more local than teams that will have to spend a ton of money to get to your event. Get credibility in your own backyard until you know how to run an event well, especially if you have never done this before.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

Stuyvesant would definitely be interested in attending, and house written questions are excellent so far as I'm concerned.