RESULTS: NAQT Illinois State Qualfier @Loyola Academy

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
David Riley
Auron

RESULTS: NAQT Illinois State Qualfier @Loyola Academy

Post by David Riley »

1. New Trier
2. Maine South
3. St. Ignatius
4. Carondale
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Are you going to post the stats online?
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Yes, Mr. Laird willl be posting those shortly.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Thanks to the Loyola staff and all the moderators who came out, especially the ABT folks.

By the way, the stats were posted here:

Morning Results
Playoff Results
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Yeah, the moderating was generally top-notch and everything went smoothly - thanks, Loyola/ABT/Brad.

One question, though... does this or does this not provide Maine South with an automatic bid to HSNCT?
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I THOUGHT it did until I read the note about if the winner is already in the field, the next person on the wait list makes it. What I don't understand about that is that NAQT prefers the state qualifiers to be in March; it sems like February would be a better choice if a team from the stated qualifiers is going to make it; the field wouldn't be as full by then.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I don't know if moving up the timeline for state qualifiers is going to help matters. All that happens is that there is a move-up in the qualification pressure. The alternative is to actually reduce the number of qualifying opportunities early in the year, and I think most of us would find that option unacceptable. We do want more tournaments and more questions.

So far no Illinois teams have registered for the NSC... Illinois has had good history playing at NSC in the past. So let us know if any of your top 4 wants to take the long trip to Ann Arbor.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I don't know if moving up the timeline for state qualifiers is going to help matters. All that happens is that there is a move-up in the qualification pressure. The alternative is to actually reduce the number of qualifying opportunities early in the year, and I think most of us would find that option unacceptable. We do want more tournaments and more questions.

So far no Illinois teams have registered for the NSC... Illinois has had good history playing at NSC in the past. So let us know if any of your top 4 wants to take the long trip to Ann Arbor.
Yes, as far as I read it, only New Trier has a spot for them right now if they want it at HSNCT. Of course, for PACE, the top four have now automatically qualified, and looking at the statistics for this tournament, I'd give strong consideration to any of the 5th-8th place teams for a wild card bid if they didn't earn an automatic bid through IHSA or Masonic State.

And it's not that long of a trip to Ann Arbor, certainly not from Chicagoland--5 hours tops. I know for Carbondale it would be much further, of course, but hey, we're driving 8 hours each way to get there!
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Byko wrote:
E.T. Chuck wrote:I don't know if moving up the timeline for state qualifiers is going to help matters. All that happens is that there is a move-up in the qualification pressure. The alternative is to actually reduce the number of qualifying opportunities early in the year, and I think most of us would find that option unacceptable. We do want more tournaments and more questions.

Yes, as far as I read it, only New Trier has a spot for them right now if they want it at HSNCT.
I think that's why he was asking -- we (New Trier) already qualified (second place at Northwestern in October) and we already had a spot in the HSNCT field before the NAQT State Qualifier took place.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Bloomington, New Trier, and Saint Ignatius are all going to HSCNT based on their qualifying at Northwestern in October.

Several Illinois teams are giving strong consideration to PACE. I expect that you'll hear from Carbondale soon and wouldn't be surprised if you hear from one or two others as well.
pblessman
Rikku

Shameless Plug

Post by pblessman »

Well, if Dr. Chuck is allowed to plug PACE Nationals in this thread... Loyola Academy has already registered for our Midwest Championship and PACE tournaments May 12-13- we're hoping even more of the teams who attended IL NAQT State might be enticed to attend our tournaments!
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Phil--have you contacted any Illinois teams near the Indiana border? Some of them are very active in their regions and might be willing to travel to Indiana for a tournament if their travel budgets will allow.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Yes, everyone please go to Phil's event. Mobility is a good thing. :)

Of course, Phil... you coming to Ann Arbor? :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

We're going to try to convince our coach to sign up for a wild-card spot. My only question at the moment: is boarding provided, or do we have to find a hotel?

-Alejandro
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I think wildcard spots might be few and far between at this point, check naqt.com. And I don't think the hotel room is provided.
Stained Diviner
Auron

As Byko said above, Naperville Central would get serious consideration if they applied for a Wildcard at PACE in Ann Arbor.
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

I guess I should have clarified, I was talking about a PACE wildcard, not an NAQT one.

-Alejandro
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

NCRedhawks wrote:We're going to try to convince our coach to sign up for a wild-card spot. My only question at the moment: is boarding provided, or do we have to find a hotel?

-Alejandro
At this point, no specific arrangements have been made for hotel accomodations in Ann Arbor. I will be working on possibly lining up a discount with the Sheraton Four Points in Ann Arbor. In any case, there are several good and reasonably affordable (under $100/night) hotels in Ann Arbor.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship