Kentucky '07-'08

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:32 pm

Normal. Definitely. I was NAQT neg champ as a sophomore. Man, I started early.

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 am

Anyone know anything about Berea? Apparently, we're playing them in the first round.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

Mephistopheles
Lulu
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Almalthea

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Mephistopheles » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:25 am

Danville shut them out 42-0 during the first half of their preliminary match at regionals.
I am Spartacus.

Andrew from jc
Wakka
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Paintsville, Ky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Andrew from jc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:38 am

ohh, that doesn't sound like it was a pretty game.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12

User avatar
Brian_ECHS
Lulu
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Bowling Green Ky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Brian_ECHS » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:11 pm

What about those pools?
Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach

Detisch
Kimahri
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: Campbell County, KY

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Detisch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm not really too sure how I like our draw. Johnson Central isn't a team I was hoping to play so soon. I don't know anything about Henry Clay though so its hard to say how it will go.

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Mephistopheles wrote:Danville shut them out 42-0 during the first half of their preliminary match at regionals.
Thanks Mephisto! Do you know about Rowan or Boone?
Brian_ECHS wrote:What about those pools?
Our pool rocks so far. Edmonson has a good pool. Dawson Springs, runner-up in our region (don't know how) was excited to go to state. Then they were informed they drew PLD, Daviess and Pikeville. Eh....
Detisch wrote:I'm not really too sure how I like our draw. Johnson Central isn't a team I was hoping to play so soon. I don't know anything about Henry Clay though so its hard to say how it will go.
You guys played them close at Fleming County. They got beaten prematurely last year. If Campbell works hard I'm sure you guys will do fine.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

User avatar
Brian_ECHS
Lulu
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Bowling Green Ky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Brian_ECHS » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:47 pm

I really feel bad for daviess county. they beat us in region and look what they got to show for it. Dunbar and Pikeville.
We beat Boone county 44-26 at fleming county but i don't know anything about rowan.
Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:34 pm

Brian_ECHS wrote:I really feel bad for daviess county. they beat us in region and look what they got to show for it. Dunbar and Pikeville.
We beat Boone county 44-26 at fleming county but i don't know anything about rowan.
That's true. What are Boone's strong points?
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

User avatar
Brian_ECHS
Lulu
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Bowling Green Ky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Brian_ECHS » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:42 pm

That don't have any strong points that i remember. I owned them in math and science and colton got all the arts and humanities so social studies i guess.
Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:36 am

Brian_ECHS wrote:That don't have any strong points that i remember. I owned them in math and science and colton got all the arts and humanities so social studies i guess.
That's good. Because social studies happens to be what I'm best at.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

FCPanther
Wakka
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:34 am
Location: Northeastern KY

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by FCPanther » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks Mephisto! Do you know about Rowan or Boone?
Rowan is a solid team. They've got four guys that can all score in their areas. We (Fleming) played them twice before Gov. Cup and beat them both times (12 points and 18 points), but for whatever reason, we just didn't get it done in the region.

They aren't super fast. Their math guy is much more accurate on bonus, when he has a little more time. Their SS/LA guy is their captain and leading scorer, and probably their most well rounded player. The other two guys pick up Sci and Hum, and some of that random stuff we all love. All in all they're solid, they won't wow anyone with speed or an otherworldly knowledge base.

I do know they lost to Ashland and Paintsville in their league, but I don't have scores on those games.
Kent Grannis--Fleming County High School Academic Coach

Detisch
Kimahri
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: Campbell County, KY

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Detisch » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Boone is in our league so we played them two or three times. We never lost to them. I would agree that they're best at social studies. I mostly remember them as a pretty streaky team. Does anybody know much about Henry Clay?

asdf
Lulu
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:15 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by asdf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Detisch wrote:Boone is in our league so we played them two or three times. We never lost to them. I would agree that they're best at social studies. I mostly remember them as a pretty streaky team. Does anybody know much about Henry Clay?
Two people
Stephen Fritz
Preston Goulson

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:33 pm

They're good. As far as I remember. When I wasn't there at one of our league matches, they beat us by a question. At Regionals, I think the score was something like 60-20, but that's probably more lopsided than it should have been. Also, does anyone know much about Pikeville, Dawson Springs, or Daviess?

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:50 pm

brownboy79 wrote:They're good. As far as I remember. When I wasn't there at one of our league matches, they beat us by a question. At Regionals, I think the score was something like 60-20, but that's probably more lopsided than it should have been. Also, does anyone know much about Pikeville, Dawson Springs, or Daviess?
Dawson Springs is... well, terrible. But what can you expect? They're a K-12 school in an independent district with like 600 total students. They beat Hopkins Co. Central 17-16 on an inquiry about "A Doll's House" (they said A Doll House, Central inquired, but they got lucky because that was the original in Norwegian). Madisonville North beat Dawson, I think, 40-20 in one game. (Can't remember if it was the final or not). Caldwell County would've had a better chance at state (we were up big time at the end of the first half, but it ended up at like 27-24), but somehow Dawson beat them. Although their captain is good eye candy. Our spotter mispronounced her name (Gina) like the female anatomical organ (Freudian slip, anyone?). LOL.

Pikeville is a team that no one knows much about this year. But they are always pretty good. So go in expecting a good team.

Daviess County is good this year. They tend to do worse on pyramidal, though. Madisonville played them 3-4 times this year. We beat them 29-27 when they didn't have their main player. We beat them at a PAA Tournament (with pyramid questions) 22-16. And at Fleming County they slaughtered us like 58-17. (I think we fell asleep or something, I've yet to figure that out). They can score in just about anything, but Josh (their captain) can't do it all. He's pretty fast on the buzzer, and they tend to be slower on things that you can't memorize by looking at a list. If you'll remember, Daviess County had a strong showing at Hart County.

Papa, have you played Rowan or Boone, or Berea?
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:25 pm

We have played none of the above. But "A Doll House" isn't a lucky mistake. It's the preferred title (Perrine's Literature has a huge explanation on it). Although, Dawson may have been lucky in getting it, it's definitely the more correct version. Too bad the world of quiz bowl has yet to pick up on this, particularly in Kentucky. Every time I hear that question, I'm torn between the more acceptable and the more correct. Ah well.
It's odd because Pikeville is generally good, but I know nothing about them this year. And I don't remember playing Daviess at Hart Co. Then again, I think most of those matches were fairly similar and they ran together in my head. And this Gina seems to be a different quiz bowl girl. Not a bad trend, is it, Aaron?
Also, has anyone else noticed that if you win your first two games, you don't have to play the rest? I'm pulling for Daviess over Pikeville.

And Berea is decent, but I wouldn't worry too much. We played them a couple years ago at Derby and they were alright. I haven't played the other two, but expect Rowan to be good at math.

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:57 pm

brownboy79 wrote:We have played none of the above. But "A Doll House" isn't a lucky mistake. It's the preferred title (Perrine's Literature has a huge explanation on it). Although, Dawson may have been lucky in getting it, it's definitely the more correct version. Too bad the world of quiz bowl has yet to pick up on this, particularly in Kentucky. Every time I hear that question, I'm torn between the more acceptable and the more correct. Ah well.
It's odd because Pikeville is generally good, but I know nothing about them this year. And I don't remember playing Daviess at Hart Co. Then again, I think most of those matches were fairly similar and they ran together in my head. And this Gina seems to be a different quiz bowl girl. Not a bad trend, is it, Aaron?
Also, has anyone else noticed that if you win your first two games, you don't have to play the rest? I'm pulling for Daviess over Pikeville.

And Berea is decent, but I wouldn't worry too much. We played them a couple years ago at Derby and they were alright. I haven't played the other two, but expect Rowan to be good at math.
The thing about "A Doll House" is that when you play teams like Russell, you always have to worry about inquiries. It doesn't matter if they know you're right, they are going to try and capitalize on the relatively unintelligent moderators/judges. At Hart County, there was an answer about three Balkan nations, and we were playing Russell. For one of my answers, I said "Bosnia and Herzegovina", which is one country. Of course, Knupp inquired on it. Too bad he didn't realize his team got the bonus, and it still went into overtime. Which we botched. So all in all, I prefer saying the more "colloquial" answer, not because of it's correctness, but because it's more inquiry-friendly.

And it's not a bad trend. But I doubt it'll ever catch on.

Why do you want Daviess to beat Pikeville? I can't stand Daviess. Maybe it's just because of our bad performance against them in the first playoff round at Fleming.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

User avatar
Brian_ECHS
Lulu
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Bowling Green Ky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Brian_ECHS » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Many teams can't stand Daviess county. I think pikeville will win since we played them both this year. Pikeville beat us 57-28 and the most daviess county has beaten us by is 4.
Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm

A couple years ago at NAQT states, we (the B team then) played Pikeville first thing in the morning. We played poorly and it went down to the last question with them up ten and they buzzed in early with Degas. The moderator, however, ruled it incorrect for whatever reason. The answer was clearly Degas, but we didn't buzz in because it was ruled incorrect so we lost with "Renoir." When the moderator read the answer aloud ("Degas") we questioned his ruling of incorrect on Pikeville's answer. He then said he had said "hesitation" not "incorrect" contrary to the ears of our team, and several parents watching the match. I was royally pissed off, and it was unfair to be mad at Pikeville about that, because they would've won, barring a sweep on our part of the PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH, but their lack of grace after winning a match in such a manner really irked me.

tbrowning
Kimahri
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:15 am
Location: Pikeville
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by tbrowning » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:48 pm

I'm probably one of the first from Pikeville to post on this site, but I think we have a pretty good team this year. We came within 2 or 3 points of JCHS at region, though they beat us by 13ish the next match. We've got a fairly young team because of the exodus of players that were in the senior class last year. I think we've got most of our bases covered though.

Papa, do you know who was on the team you were playing? Eric, Faraz, Ben, Austin maybe?
~Pikeville~

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:16 pm

I recall Austin, though none of the rest. It was NAQT and names were not given. In qualification to the last comment, I want you to know that I have full respect for your team and wish you the best of luck. But not against us. :wink: And I certainly don't hold you guys to anything that happened a couple of years ago, but as you can understand, it was particularly irritating to come out on the bottom of that type of match. Good luck!

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:17 pm

ALSO:
If you are not coming to the Bulldog Tournament at Dunbar this Saturday, and you are available, I hope you will consider trying to make it. We have a great field but we have a slot open. Please contact my coach at chuck.dean@fayette.kyschools.us if you are interested. It is an NAQT format tournament with bounceback bonuses and a 15 question two minute worksheet.

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:41 pm

brownboy79 wrote:ALSO:
If you are not coming to the Bulldog Tournament at Dunbar this Saturday, and you are available, I hope you will consider trying to make it. We have a great field but we have a slot open. Please contact my coach at chuck.dean@fayette.kyschools.us if you are interested. It is an NAQT format tournament with bounceback bonuses and a 15 question two minute worksheet.
Papa, would you happen to have a field? Could you tell me a few of the teams there? And how large is the field?
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:22 pm

It's something like 16 teams, really really small, I know.
Right now some of the teams I remembered seeing are:
Ezell Harding
Johnson Co.
MadNoHo
Daviess
Ballard (I noted them because of their surprising finish at Hart Co.)
Manual

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 pm

brownboy79 wrote:It's something like 16 teams, really really small, I know.
Right now some of the teams I remembered seeing are:
Ezell Harding
Johnson Co.
MadNoHo
Daviess
Ballard (I noted them because of their surprising finish at Hart Co.)
Manual
Sounds pretty competitive. Is there pool play?
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

brownboy79
Rikku
Posts: 329
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:22 pm

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by brownboy79 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:47 pm

There was.

Tomorrow's tournament is CANCELLED. Your coach should have received an email. Please do not come. It will almost certainly be gross outside.

User avatar
Brian_ECHS
Lulu
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm
Location: Bowling Green Ky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Brian_ECHS » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 pm

As state draws near I just want to wish everybody good luck.
Brian Riddle
Edmonson County High School '09
Western Kentucky University
Edmonson County High School Assistant Coach

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Brian_ECHS wrote:As state draws near I just want to wish everybody good luck.
You too.
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

Mephistopheles
Lulu
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:57 am
Location: Almalthea

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Mephistopheles » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:31 pm

After viewing the results of this year's Governor's Cup testing, I'd like to throw an idea around: cumulative scores.

In short, instead of having the state finals test determine everything, would it perhaps be a better idea to incorporate the district and regional exams too? Maybe .2, .3, .5 weight? This would prevent a lot of the luck associated with written assessments, since the sample size would be larger. With the current system, the highest state scores tend to be below 40, which leaves a lot of room for correct guesses and random score fluctuations. I'm a senior, so this doesn't affect me at all. Just thought it would be fairer.
I am Spartacus.

User avatar
akinney
Wakka
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm
Location: Madisonville, KY
Contact:

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by akinney » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Great job to everyone who went to State. I had fun, although I wished my team had done better. We lost to Lone Oak 27-26 in the round of 16. They buzzed in on the hockey injury question with "severing of the neck" and we inquired. Obviously cutting the carotid artery is not severing your neck. Our inquiry was denied and they advanced to quarterfinals, only to lose to Russell.

Anyone know if they release the pictures of the awards they took on the net?
Aaron Kinney
Madisonville-North Hopkins '10
Go Maroons!

User avatar
J C Bennett
Lulu
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:53 am

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by J C Bennett » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:59 am

Aaron,

As soon as the photographer gets the CD full of pics mailed to me, I post them in a free photo album online. Usually takes a couple days.

Congratulations on a great year.
John Bennett, KAAC

User avatar
J C Bennett
Lulu
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:53 am

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by J C Bennett » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 am

Finally got them from the photographer - they are at http://www.pixagogo.com/8862184233
John Bennett, KAAC

User avatar
ericblair
Wakka
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon May 12, 2003 10:19 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by ericblair » Fri May 23, 2008 2:06 pm

tbrowning wrote:I'm probably one of the first from Pikeville to post on this site, but I think we have a pretty good team this year. We came within 2 or 3 points of JCHS at region, though they beat us by 13ish the next match. We've got a fairly young team because of the exodus of players that were in the senior class last year. I think we've got most of our bases covered though.

Papa, do you know who was on the team you were playing? Eric, Faraz, Ben, Austin maybe?
definitely not one of the first from Pikeville. old dude has been lurking for a while now ;-)

I've never played in a KY Naqt State Tournament. I think that happened a year or two after I graduated. I'm an old guy. Nor do I think Faraz ever played in it either. I could be wrong though.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries

Andrew from jc
Wakka
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 am
Location: Paintsville, Ky

Re: Kentucky '07-'08

Post by Andrew from jc » Fri May 23, 2008 9:05 pm

Wow, its been a while since anyone has posted here.
Andrew Salyer
Johnson Central '12

Locked