BOSCH Appreciation Day HS Division at W&M (10/6/2007)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

BOSCH Appreciation Day HS Division at W&M (10/6/2007)

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

The Early Fall Tournament II Mirror at William & Mary: Hieronymus BOSCH Appreciation Day (Ballin Outrageous Shiznet the College Hosts) will take place on Saturday, October 6th, 2007 in Williamsburg, VA. Registration will be from 8:30 am to 9:15 am with rounds starting at 9:30 am. We're running both a high school division and a college division. Each division has a field cap of 16 for now, so please, register as soon as possible.

The questions for this all are written by Brown, so refer to this (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3942) in case I miss anything. The low question difficulty by college standards means this should be manageable by most high school teams, but it'll be more difficult and academic than an NAQT IS set, so we're hoping that this tournament will distinguish truly talented high school teams and reward knowledge over buzzer speed.

This tournament does in fact have PACE affiliation, so the top 2 or 4 teams will qualify for the 2008 PACE National Scholastic Championship at George Mason University.

Please note that this tournament is happening on a big SAT day. We're hoping to still get many high school teams, but if it's less than 6 we'll just combine them with the college field.

The rules will be standard mACF, so see here http://www.acf-quizbowl.com/documents/rules.php. Exceptions: halftime substitutions will be allowed and overtime shall consist of three tossups without bonuses (a la NAQT).

Depending on the number of teams, we will run some sort of round robin with possible rebracketing, totaling 9 to 11 rounds. After all those prelim rounds are done we will have tiebreaking games for second and third and also have an advantaged finals set. Any second-place team within 2 games of the leader in the standings may contest the finals. The questions for finals/placement tiebreaking are a little harder than the rest in the tournament.

Awards will be presented to each division's top three finishing teams and the top scorers after initial prelims. Also, I’ll present a very special Neg Champion prize in each division.

The overall fee structure for high schools is as follows:

$80 base fee per team
-$5 per working buzzer system
-$10 per moderator/scorekeeper
-$10 per 200 miles traveled
-$20 for new/reformed teams which did not play in any invitational tournaments last year. For high school teams, if you only participated in VHSL, Battle of the Brains, or some other local league play or TV show last year, then you are still eligible.
+$20 cancellation fee per team for teams cancelled on the Thursday or Friday before the tournament, or that don’t show up on Saturday.

Minimum fee per team: $40

I will post field updates on our website (http://www.geocities.com/wmquizbowl/tournaments) as often as possible when teams sign up. Results will eventually be posted here as well.

I will serve as overall tournament director for this, but the tournament will use two different buildings (Washington and Tucker, for those familiar with W&M) for the two separate divisions, so I will only directly oversee one division for the duration of game rounds. Which one that will be depends on how things take shape, but I do know our statistician will likely be Nick "the Rabbi" Hoelker and I'll have someone else be Assistant TD for the division I'm not in. It'll be announced later.

If you have any further questions or want to register, email me at mpmorr AT wm DOT edu and I'll send you the full announcement (which includes a couple more details not here). Thanks for reading such a garrulous post. We hope to see you in October, and please remember, avoid hell, or else a giant pocketknife will come out of a pair of ears and slice you...

Sincerely Your Tournament Director/Art Critic,

Matt Morrison

W&M Quizbowl Club Co-President
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

Bosch appreciation?

IG-88 deserves just as much love.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Bossk != Bosch, dude.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

strifeheart wrote:Bossk != Bosch, dude.
<duh> Duh. </duh>
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

This thread is in desperate need of upping. Also, a field update:

Strong interest or confirmed:
MLW (2)
TJ (3)
Combined GDS/Gonzaga/Whitman
Howard
Tucker

Somewhat interested:
Robinson
Collegiate

I really want to be able to run a separate high school division, but it can only be guaranteed if we have 8 or more high school teams. If we can't get that many then the high schools will play with the colleges, and then we'll probably award some sort of Division II title. I hope more schools can make it despite this being a big SAT date. Please email me if you're interested or have any questions (mpmorr AT wm DOT edu). Thanks!

[edited to add teams]
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

High school teams should let me know by Thursday if they're coming, because that's the latest I can make a decision on whether to have a separate high school field (basically I'll do it if it gets to 8 teams). You don't have to officially register by then and if you really don't know you can let me know later, but be forewarned that not letting me know anything by then increases the likelihood of there not being a separate HS division.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I'll confirm one team from Howard at this point. I'll shoot you an e-mail tomorrow with details.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

I ordered trophies today, and at that point I only knew of 5-6 high school teams that were coming. So I ordered no high school trophies, just a Division II trophy. However, later today I discovered that Howard is coming and that Robinson is interested. So there will be a Division II field with a significant number of high school teams, it's just that they'll also have to compete with college teams with players in their first or second year of collegiate competition (that's the restriction on DII we're making). Also, I haven't decided yet for sure on whether to run a separate DII field or run one big combined field and just award the DII title to the best DII team (and do advantaged finals for it and all). If you're coming on the 6th, let me know your opinion on this and whether you'd like to have a separate or combined field.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Field update:

High Schools (not a separate field though):
TJ (3)
D.C. Area United (Dan Leifer?/Dan Puma/Shantanu Jha/others?)

Interested Teams:
The Citadel
Penn (may be more than 1)
UVA (may be more than 1)
VCU
SVU
Villanova - 2?

Officially Registered Teams:
UMD - 2+ (based on the post in this thread)
Wake Forest
NC State
CMU (no, not Central Michigan!)
UMBC - 2
UNC-Chapel Hill
Duke - 2
CNU/JSR CC
Liberty
Virginia Tech - 2

W&M House Teams - 1-2

Overall Field Cap: 32
Last edited by Zip Zap Rap Pants on Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

The Citadel has a team? Did not know that.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Deesy Does It wrote:The Citadel has a team? Did not know that.
Yeah, it's a college bowl only team, so this would be their first non-CBI appearance if they make it. Liberty used to be CBI only but then started playing in a couple NAQT tournaments the past year or two. Actually we wanted to get Washington & Lee, another CBI only team, to come, but I haven't heard from them. There's an outside chance of us getting Winston Salem State to come, but only because we have a club member who's a law student who used to play HCASC for them.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

See the college thread for a more up to date field. Looks like only MLW, TJ, and DC Area United will have high school teams at the tournament, and even with TJ I haven't heard from them for a while.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

The registration deadline is in 24 hours, and that includes not only teams I haven't heard anything from, but also the interested teams I have listed. I'm making one exception for WSSU because they didn't know about the tournament till I think Sunday and now they're probably coming pending coach approval, so I'm giving them one extra day.

Also please note that if you cancel teams after the registration deadline, we'll expect $20 for each team canceled, so if you expect to drop any let me know in the next 24 hours so you won't be charged.

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Oh TJ, where art thou?

-Matt Weiner

In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown