FAcT (10/13/07) at Yale University (New Haven, CT)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
NatusRoma
Lulu

FAcT (10/13/07) at Yale University (New Haven, CT)

Post by NatusRoma »

Yale Student Academic Competitions is pleased to announce that the 3rd annual Fall Academic Tournament (FAcT) will take place on Yale’s campus on October 13, 2007. The tournament, which will be untimed, will be run on NAQT A-level packets and using NAQT rules. Teams that finish in the top fifteen percent of the field will automatically qualify for NAQT’s 2008 High School Nation Championship Tournament. The tournament will use packet set IS-69A, for which we have geographic exclusivity for the states of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York. Of the two high school tournaments that Yale hosts each year, FAcT is a little more relaxed, and is a great fall tune-up. We hope to see you there.

Fee Structure:

$75 per team, with a $5 discount for each additional team from the same high school
$10 discount for each working buzzer system
$5 discount for each moderator
Minimum fee with all discounts: $60 per team

To register, or for any information, please contact me at [email protected], or Ben Colman at [email protected]

We look forward to seeing you on the 13th.

Sincerely,

Andrew J. Uzzell
President, Yale Student Academic Competitions

P.S., We plan to hold Bulldog High School Academic Tournament (BHSAT) XVII on in Spring 2008. BHSAT is entirely written and edited by Yale Student Academic Competitions, and regularly attracts teams from across the nation. We will let you know more details (including, but not limited to, an exact date) later this fall.
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

Here is the field for Saturday's tournament:

Southington, CT
E.O. Smith, CT (3)
White Plains, NY (2)
Byram Hills, NY (2)
Ward Melville, NY
Terryville, CT
Suffield, CT
New Milford, CT (2)
Moravian, PA 1
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Is it true that Moravian's team is just one person?
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

SwissBoy wrote:Is it true that Moravian's team is just one person?
lol schenkel
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

Thanks to everyone who came to this year's tournament.

Moravian beat White Plains A to 440-185 to win this year's Fall Academic Tournament. The other semifinalists were E.O. Smith A and New Milford A.

The scoring champion was Ben from Moravian, with an impressive 129.17 ppg.

Full stats will be online in a few days.

So correct me if I'm wrong-
Ben Schenkel traveled 180 miles to Yale to participate in a tournament on A-set questions that is designed as a tune up for local teams who are not very nationally competitive, and crushed everyone, while not attending a notably closer tournament at Rutgers with somewhat more competitive teams on harder questions or the TJIAT, which was approximately the same distance away as Yale, which had harder questions and a much much much harder field then any other tournament that date.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

I think that he was visiting Yale over the weekend, which is why he played alone.
Ian Eppler from Brown University

That makes more sense. It just seemed really odd.

NatusRoma
Lulu

Post by NatusRoma »

Ben Schenkel did not play alone; Moravian in fact had a number of subs.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/phpBB2/postin ... ply&t=4432

The rule on calling people out on behavior at high school tournaments is: don't do it before talking to your coach, don't do it before talking to the TD, don't do it before attempting to resolve the situation elsewhere, don't do it from a new, unfamiliar, or anonymous account, don't do it if you do not have a long record of worthwile posts about more germane topics, and don't do it unless you are earnestly trying to start a discussion about how to deal with similar behavior in the future. In summary, calling people out for dramatic purposes is not permitted.

Right, but that doesn't much change the fact that Moravian attending this tournament seems to make minimal sense considering the other opportunities for play that day, especially as considering the field and question difficulty, bearing in mind that Moravian was one of the top 20 teams in the nation last year.

mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

Oy, there is a logical reason why Moravian competed at Yale last weekend. As soon as I have some spare time, I'll explain the whole sequence of events, not that our/my attending should've been controversial in the first place. Fine, maybe a bit suspicious, but it'll soon become very clear...
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Deesy Does It wrote:Right, but that doesn't much change the fact that Moravian attending this tournament seems to make minimal sense considering the other opportunities for play that day, especially as considering the field and question difficulty, bearing in mind that Moravian was one of the top 20 teams in the nation last year.
Right, but that doesn't change that you're breaking the rule Matt specifically pointed out. Next rule breakage equals a tempban of noted length.

Discussing who should play in A-level tournaments is acceptable in the theory section. Calling out specific players/teams for attending tournaments and/or speculating as to why a player/team attended a tournament without any evidence is not acceptable.
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

When are personal stats going to be up? I want to see how my teamates did!!!
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)