Two vs. Two Quizbowl?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
saskwatch1991
Lulu

Two vs. Two Quizbowl?

Post by saskwatch1991 »

A friend and I were talking, and we came to the conclustion that a two person-team quizbowl competition would be pretty fun, I know they have individual competitions, but I haven't heard of anything like this, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

There have been several "doubles" college tournaments where it is 2v2. Deep Bench contains a doubles division, Ryan Westrbook's Illinois Open side tournament was a doubles event, and so was the Literature tournament at last year's Chicago Open.

The reason you don't see them at regular tournaments is that they require twice as many people to staff the tournament than a 4v4 tournament does.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
saskwatch1991
Lulu

Post by saskwatch1991 »

this is true.
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

There will be a high school doubles tournament at the DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl in Washington, DC.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

we had a high school deep-bench (WISDOM) in Minnesota in April 2007, and it was an awesome tournament. Deep-bench is generally invitation only, and WISDOM specifically used an NAQT set. It featured 6 teams. I would like to see the deep-bench format spread around.

otherwise, yeah, lack of staff is the main problem with running doubles tournaments. the ones at IO were good because they also featured a small # of teams, but they were significantly more difficult than regular collegiate stuff.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.