NSC Moderator Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
sweaver
Lulu

NSC Moderator Discussion

Post by sweaver »

BobGHHS wrote: According to Rush Limbaugh or some other political commentator on the radio today that my friend had on, Exxon-Mobil is getting out of the gasoline business in the U.S. citing the fact that its not profitable enough.
It is my experience that whatever Rush Limbaugh says, the opposite should be assumed to be true. Your odds are much better this way.

Also to personal experience, since so many in this thread wish to take potshots at the Panasonic, that my team had a far better experience at the PAC in 2007 than at PACE in 2008. The odd format and six-team dogpile competition was balanced by complete professionalism and excellent organization, as well as completely prepared moderators. Wish I could say the same for the PACE national tournament. The major point on the side of PACE is that we got to play a lot more matches.

Since this is based on one visit to each tournament, small sample rules apply.
Shawn Weaver
President, West Virginia Academic Coaches Association
cdcarter
Yuna

Re: 2008 Panasonic Academic Challenge: Illinois wins!

Post by cdcarter »

sweaver wrote:
BobGHHS wrote: According to Rush Limbaugh or some other political commentator on the radio today that my friend had on, Exxon-Mobil is getting out of the gasoline business in the U.S. citing the fact that its not profitable enough.
It is my experience that whatever Rush Limbaugh says, the opposite should be assumed to be true. Your odds are much better this way.

Also to personal experience, since so many in this thread wish to take potshots at the Panasonic, that my team had a far better experience at the PAC in 2007 than at PACE in 2008. The odd format and six-team dogpile competition was balanced by complete professionalism and excellent organization, as well as completely prepared moderators. Wish I could say the same for the PACE national tournament. The major point on the side of PACE is that we got to play a lot more matches.

Since this is based on one visit to each tournament, small sample rules apply.
I don't speak for PACE, but I am sure they would be interested in hearing more about this.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

They have.
Shawn Weaver
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

sweaver wrote:The odd format and six-team dogpile competition was balanced by complete professionalism and excellent organization, as well as completely prepared moderators. Wish I could say the same for the PACE national tournament.
I very much agree that I want to hear more. My experience with PACE has been an absolute high standard of professionalism (and I too am not a member).

I agree that PAC also has a pretty high standard of professionalism (I love Peggy Harrod), but I did catch one of their judges not acting as they should have one of the years I was there (he made two decisions that showed a very skewed view of his subject; one was in a match with my team, the other was in a match I was watching. I questioned him both times, and he was indignant that his call was the only correct call, and filed to realize that there were other interpretations of the question that should have been considered.

I also have to say that at least once (2005 finals), Peggy and her head moderator got, IMO, made a terrible call when Maryland claimed to "accidentally" set off the buzzer in the middle of a question (everyone and their cousin knew someone was priming the damn buzzer and probably flinched), and let them get away with it. When my team quite obviously accidentally set off the buzzer (hitting the buzzer with an elbow reaching for a calculator), they got penalized. So while I give them kudos for professionalism, I have not found the PAC staff to be the fairest group in the world. The two decisions cost us second place, and possibly the championship, and nearly cost Virginia the championship.
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

Tegan wrote: I very much agree that I want to hear more. My experience with PACE has been an absolute high standard of professionalism (and I too am not a member).
I think that a national tournament should start on time, or very close to it.

I think that a national tournament should have more than one official per room.

I think that said officials should not show obvious favoritism toward one team, especially when they make a decision that goes in favor of that team: a situation not unlike your buzzer example occurred, but it was after some buddy-buddy talk. I didn't make a scene at the time, because that would have embarrassed my team. I don't care if I embarrass myself, but I do consider the team's feelings in such matters.

I believe that question readers should be able to e-nun-ci-ate. I also do not believe that quiz bowl question reading involves any type of bonus for speed.

I believe that when a reader is asked to slow down, he should do so, and for more than 0.6 seconds.
Shawn Weaver
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

sweaver wrote:I think that a national tournament should start on time, or very close to it.

I think that a national tournament should have more than one official per room.

I think that said officials should not show obvious favoritism toward one team, especially when they make a decision that goes in favor of that team: a situation not unlike your buzzer example occurred, but it was after some buddy-buddy talk. I didn't make a scene at the time, because that would have embarrassed my team. I don't care if I embarrass myself, but I do consider the team's feelings in such matters.

I believe that question readers should be able to e-nun-ci-ate. I also do not believe that quiz bowl question reading involves any type of bonus for speed.

I believe that when a reader is asked to slow down, he should do so, and for more than 0.6 seconds.
I think that any tournament should start on time, regradless of whether it's nationals or not. However, I do understand that unexpected setbacks occur. I can deal with a tournament staring late.

If a moderator shows obvious bias towards one team, then you shouldn't care about "making a scene" to protest it. If the ruling in question wold've affected the outcome of the game, you should have brought it up immediately. If it didn't, you should have confronted the tournament director and voiced your concerns. I don't think your team would've been embarrassed if you did either.

I did not encounter a moderator incapable of reading well the entire weekend of NSC. In fact, save for one moderator that read for my team freshman year at PACE, I have yet to encounter an incompetent moderator at either HSNCT or NSC. I, for one, prefer faster-reading moderators over slower ones; however, I know that some teams do prefer slower-reading ones, and that's a perfectly acceptable preference to have.

It's hard to make a moderator change his reading speed. I'm a fast reader, and I know when teams ask me to slow down, I sometimes forget and return to my original speed, especially if it's a tight, high-scoring game.

No matter how good the question quality at a tournament is, a bad moderating staff can completely detract teams from the questions and their excellency. At both PACE and NAQT, however, I didn't have a bad moerator experience at all.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
sweaver
Lulu

Post by sweaver »

AndyShootsAndyScores wrote: I did not encounter a moderator incapable of reading well the entire weekend of NSC.
You were fortunate. We had three, for a total of five matches.
Shawn Weaver
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

sweaver wrote:
AndyShootsAndyScores wrote: I did not encounter a moderator incapable of reading well the entire weekend of NSC.
With the number of moderators working at NSC, you can't possibly rate the quality of the tournament based on 3 people who you personally found objectionable. I observed one reader whose pronunciation was awful. What were your specific issues with these three moderators? I'm sure the PACE people would be interested if it's something that can be fixed by bringing it up in a moderator meeting or including more pronunciation keys in their questions.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

sweaver wrote:
Based on what Charlie said in the moderator speed thread, I think you were actually in the same pool as my team. I thought all the readers that read for our pool were very competent (especially Will and Evan from MW '07).

If I'm mistaken about us being in the same pool, then disregard this post.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Andy, he was from Parkersburg Catholic, which was in our pool. our moderators were Brian Saxton, Jonathan Magin, WIll Butler, and a switchoff between Dan Goff and Bob Weiser. Also apparently Evan Adams, but I'm pretty sure NKC didn't have him.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Deesy Does It wrote:Andy, he was from Parkersburg Catholic, which was in our pool. our moderators were Brian Saxton, Jonathan Magin, WIll Butler, and a switchoff between Dan Goff and Bob Weiser. Also apparently Evan Adams, but I'm pretty sure NKC didn't have him.
Ah yes, how could I forget Brian Saxton. He was also a very good moderator. We either had the Goff/Weiser team or Magin during our match with NKC, though, I'm pretty sure it was Goff/Weiser. Regardless, I don't remember having any trouble understanding the mod or having problems with their speed. And seeing as how Magin hosts some sort of radio show (I think?), I don't see how he would be a terrible reader.

That being said, different people do have different preferrences, so, to each his/her own, I guess.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

PACE takes all criticism of NSC very seriously, and we are looking into the concerns raised by Shawn Weaver that are referred to in this thread. Others are certainly within their rights to post a differing opinion regarding NSC moderators, but please don't go any further than that. We at PACE want honest feedback to help us provide the best tournament possible in future years. This thread will probably be locked soon if no more valid points of dialogue come up.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
millionwaves
Auron

Re: NSC Moderator Discussion

Post by millionwaves »

This is its own thread, now, but this:
theMoMA wrote:PACE takes all criticism of NSC very seriously, and we are looking into the concerns raised by Shawn Weaver that are referred to in this thread. Others are certainly within their rights to post a differing opinion regarding NSC moderators, but please don't go any further than that. We at PACE want honest feedback to help us provide the best tournament possible in future years. This thread will probably be locked soon if no more valid points of dialogue come up.
still applies. If nothing further in the way of valid discussion comes up, this thread will almost certainly be locked.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom