HAVOC II @ MLWGS, 4/25 - not in conflict with the BoB test

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

HAVOC II @ MLWGS, 4/25 - not in conflict with the BoB test

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

HAVOC II will take place on April 25, 2008, at Maggie L. Walker Governor's School in Richmond, VA, pending the success of room reservations. Like last year, we will be attempting to the best of our ability to produce a low difficulty but still high quality set. It should be noted that there will be no computational math in this tournament. Given the lower difficulty, we are restricting attendance to players in their first or second year of high school competition, as well as teams that have not qualified for NSC or HSNCT. We are not counting national tournament qualification through VHSL, Battle of the Brains, or their analogues in other areas towards our restrictions. If that is your only form of qualification, you can still play this tournament. Middle schoolers are also welcome.

We are interested in mirroring this tournament in other areas, particularly if mirror hosts are willing to help us out by writing a packet so we can have more rounds this year. If you are interested, please either email me at SeaAngel147 AT aol DOT com or post here.

Edit: some details, as promised. We are tentatively capping the field at 32 teams and may have to shrink that due to being forced to share the building with environmental club... However, our date is now significantly more secure. If the environmental club event gets massive and they need us to shrink down a bit, we may seek a mirror in MD or somewhere else fairly close if we end up with too many registrations. We will not be meddling with other sites registration fees with the exception of this possible closer mirror, in that we'd mandate that any teams willing to switch to that site after having registered with us pay no more than what they would have with us.

Mirror Fees:
Usable/workable packet in by a reasonable date TBD: $12/team
No packet: $15/team

Registration Fees for our site:
First team: $60
Additional teams: $50 each
Buzzers: -$10
150+ miles traveled: -$10
Registering before 3/27: -$5

If your team has older players who aren't coming and are interested in writing a packet for a discount (especially if your program is getting hit with budget cuts), talk to me individually and we'll work something out.

If you're interested in hosting a mirror and your site would need to have really low registration fees to attract teams (meaning the mirror fees wouldn't quite work for you), talk to me and we'll work something out.

We'd love to see this mirrored in a bunch of places. Right now I've heard specific interest from sites in NJ and Arkansas and more generally from IL, but nothing's definite yet. Hopefully us being more definite will help you be more definite. We'd also love to hear from other areas.

Feel free to email or post any questions. Please register here. This registration survey includes the option of taking the Battle of the Brains try out test during lunch, since we have a date conflict from which neither of us can move.

Questions from last year's HAVOC can be found here for a general sense of our target difficulty.

Edit: Restrictions amended as expected. If you have questions about them or would like to talk about any exceptions that may exist, just let me know.

Expressed Interest:

Henrico

Field:
Bassett
Caesar Rodney
Cave Spring
Cosby
Dorman (2)
Georgetown Day (2)
Freeman
Hanover (2)
Howard
James Monroe
Princess Anne
Longfellow MS
Richard Montgomery
St. Gertrude
TJ (5)
Trinity
Tucker
Warwick
Walt Whitman
Woodrow Wilson (2)
Total: 28

Buzzers:
Bassett
Caesar Rodney
Cave Spring (2)
Cosby
Freeman
GDS
Hanover
Howard
James Monroe
Princess Anne
Longfellow
Richard Montgomery
TJ (2)
Tucker
Warwick
Whitman (2)
Woodrow Wilson
Last edited by Blackboard Monitor Vimes on Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Sir Thopas
Auron

Re: HAVOC II @ Maggie Walker, 4/25 (tentative)

Post by Sir Thopas »

awesome but i hope this doesn't conflict with acf nationals
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Sir Thopas wrote:awesome but i hope this doesn't conflict with acf nationals
The overlap in audience for ACF Nationals and HAVOC is pretty tiny, Guy.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Sir Thopas wrote:awesome but i hope this doesn't conflict with acf nationals
Guy, if you're interested in mirroring and want to go to ACF Nationals, a mirror on a nearby weekend would not be a problem.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

Oh, I was hoping you were planning on going to ACF Nats... :P
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Sir Thopas wrote:Oh, I was hoping you were planning on going to ACF Nats... :P
As much fun as that would be, that's not feasible. But you did prompt me to make the point that we're cool with mirror dates that aren't precisely the same as ours, so thanks for that. This is the only date that works for our school.
Sam L,
PACE
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Sarah, if you need any help in terms of writing, I could be of assistance.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

ihavenoidea wrote:Sarah, if you need any help in terms of writing, I could be of assistance.
Thanks, Zhao. Do you have any idea if Rancho Bernardo would be interested in hosting a West Coast mirror?
Sam L,
PACE
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:We are interested in mirroring this tournament in other areas, particularly if mirror hosts are willing to help us out by writing a packet so we can have more rounds this year. If you are interested, please either email me at SeaAngel147 AT aol DOT com or post here.
I'm very interested in getting this mirrored somewhere in Illinois. It's a month after the official season ends, so I don't know what sort of turnout we'd get, but this needs to happen out here. If any high school is interested in hosting this, I'll help out with question writing and acquiring staff - if there aren't any interested parties, I'll set the tournament up either at RVC or NIU.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Illinois High School Association wrote: Scholastic Bowl (Class A & AA) 2008-09
Season Starts (Mon.) Aug. 25
Team Record Report Form Due (Fri. @ Noon) Feb. 6
Sectional Seed Meeting (Wed.) Feb. 11
Regionals (Tue.) Mar. 10
Sectionals (Sat.) Mar. 14
State Final (Fri.) Mar. 20
Season Ends (Sat.) Mar. 21
So, given the IHSA loophole regarding what does and doesn't constitute scholastic bowl, this would only be doable if it was a 4 on 4 event. Unfortuantely, I think when you do that, and do it outside of the IHSA season, you'll get a small turnout. I can assure that Barrington would be a no-show as that's when I'm fully occupied with readying my middle school team for conference tourney and State Series play, and that's when I'm not announcing baseball games.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

IHSA allows teams to play in one five-on-five event outside the season, and this would be the only five-on-five event outside the season. The problem is not the rules but the lack of interest in anything that takes place after IHSA State. I would ask my team if they were interested in playing such an event if it occurred within a two or three hour drive.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
ihavenoidea wrote:Sarah, if you need any help in terms of writing, I could be of assistance.
Thanks, Zhao. Do you have any idea if Rancho Bernardo would be interested in hosting a West Coast mirror?
I am interested. I will discuss it over with my team and get back to you.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

So, if a team hasn't qualified for nationals, then they can bring their "regular" squad? I don't think i'll be able to bring any more than 4 kids on a 200-mile trip to Richmond, so i would need to be careful in whom i choose to go.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:So, if a team hasn't qualified for nationals, then they can bring their "regular" squad? I don't think i'll be able to bring any more than 4 kids on a 200-mile trip to Richmond, so i would need to be careful in whom i choose to go.
Yes.
Sam L,
PACE
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

St. Anselm's is definitely "expressing interest." I, for one, would really like to go; it's just a question of mustering the rest of the team and then hoping our coach is willing to take us. I'm going to talk to her some time this week about it. I think it's likely that we will be there with at least one team, and possibly two.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

I'm going to gauge interest for a mirror of this in Arkansas. I'd also be willing to write questions regardless of whether the mirror materializes.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: HAVOC II @ Maggie Walker, 4/25

First post updated with fee information and a general desire for mirrors. Feel free to post or email me with any questions.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Hopefully there will be a registration survey soon... We are aware that this date conflicts with the Battle of the Brains test and are working with Mr. Porter to do something about that, so there will be an informational email after we know what's going on. A link to the registration survey will be in that email and also posted here when it exists.

I've been informed that our possible NJ mirror isn't going to work out, and the only confirmed one is at NIU. So, if you're interested, please let us know. If the mirror fees are an issue for you, say if you need low registration fees to get people to come due to your location or if you're a new program short on funding, talk to us. We have a few budget concerns of our own, but we're reasonable people and would rather see a mirror happen than not.
Sam L,
PACE
Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect
Lulu

Post by Jeremy Gibbs-Marangoni Effect »

Haven't been able to find a host for an Arkansas mirror, but I'm still working on that.
Jason Loy
Missouri State '10
Harding '04-'08
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Here's a note from Dr. Barnes regarding the Battle of the Brains try-out test:

"As many of you already know, April 25 is also the date for the “Battle of the Brains” TV show tryout test. The producers of the show have graciously agreed to administer the test at Maggie Walker in addition to the previously announced test sites. So you can attend our tournament and still take the tryout test. We will be extending our lunch period for this purpose. A representative of the show’s producers will be on hand to officially administer the test. Only non-senior students from your school will be allowed to take the test. Up to four students can take the test. Their scores will be added to get your school’s score, so it is strongly recommended that you have four students take the test if you wish to be on the TV show next year."

So, you can come to HAVOC and take the test if you need to. A registration survey has finally been made and will be edited into the main post as well. I'll be sending an information email out later this afternoon.

Also, we would still love to hear from potential mirror sites, as the NIU one is the only one confirmed so far.
Last edited by Blackboard Monitor Vimes on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam L,
PACE
Kouign Amann

Re: HAVOC II @ MLWGS, 4/25 - not in conflict with the BoB test

Post by Kouign Amann »

Is the link broken for anyone else?
Aidan Mehigan
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:Is the link broken for anyone else?
EDIT: It's fine, there are just 2 periods in that one. Just use this: http://www.quia.com/sv/272278.html
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Tower Monarch wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:Is the link broken for anyone else?
EDIT: It's fine, there are just 2 periods in that one. Just use this: http://www.quia.com/sv/272278.html
For some reason, that link worked with two periods when I posted it. I thought that was odd. It has been fixed.
Sam L,
PACE
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Ok, thanks.
Aidan Mehigan
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

TJ will probably be bringing around two teams of the younger variety.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Due to the extremely unfortunate and inconvenient date of our It's Academic semifinal taping, St. Anselm's will not be able to attend. Drat. I was really looking forward to this, too. I guess we'll try again next year.
Aidan Mehigan
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Prof.Whoopie wrote:Due to the extremely unfortunate and inconvenient date of our It's Academic semifinal taping, St. Anselm's will not be able to attend. Drat. I was really looking forward to this, too. I guess we'll try again next year.
Sorry to hear that, Aidan. We may to try to move earlier in the season next year, so hopefully that will help. Shame It's Ac tapes on Saturdays...best of luck at your taping.
Sam L,
PACE
Auron

Our A Team was officially accepted as a wildcard team to HSNCT today. Does this disqualify us form attending HAVOC? If so, i think i may want to bring our B Team, but there's still a lot to figure out (including if we can even go to Chicago).
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Our A Team was officially accepted as a wildcard team to HSNCT today. Does this disqualify us form attending HAVOC? If so, i think i may want to bring our B Team, but there's still a lot to figure out (including if we can even go to Chicago).
Cameron and I never thought about wildcard teams when we talked about restricting attendance for this, but I don't see a particular problem with your A team coming.

General news: Dr. B. mentioned Friday that people have registered but didn't say who, so I should have a field update Wednesday when he gets back in town.
Sam L,
PACE
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

It looks like TJ will actually be able to bring 4 teams to this, though obviously this is tentative.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

hwhite wrote:It looks like TJ will actually be able to bring 4 teams to this, though obviously this is tentative.
Glad to hear it, Harry. That would be awesome. I don't have access to the survey and Dr. B. hasn't told me any numbers in a while, so I'm not sure where we stand right now, but the more, the merrier until we hit our tentative cap. The environmental club has been sending out information about their event; hopefully I'll have a better idea of how much space they're going to need in the coming weeks and perhaps be able to expand if necessary...

Also, a reminder that the early registration discount deadline is this Friday.
Sam L,
PACE
Auron

Since it looks like we can go to both HSNCT and NSC, i think i want to try to bring our B Team to this. I brought up the idea the other day at practice and got positive feedback. So, i'll let you know sometime in early April hopefully.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Field update is updated as of registrations by yesterday afternoon. Remember the early registration deadline is today. Also, Dorman, if someone representing you could please fill out the survey linked in the main post for our records, that would be awesome. Thanks.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

With a bit less than a month to go we've reached half of our tentative cap; the field in the main post has been updated.

Once again I request that someone representing Dorman please fill out this survey for our records.
Sam L,
PACE
Auron

Registered. We'll be bringing some amalgamation of the B Team, with a set of buzzers, and i can happily volunteer to read.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Registered. We'll be bringing some amalgamation of the B Team, with a set of buzzers, and i can happily volunteer to read.
Thanks, Mr. C.
Sam L,
PACE
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Sarah,

Please email me. I have a question about eligibility that I want to get clarification on before we officially register.

Thanks!
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

The field has been updated as of 4/10. We're a little less than 2 weeks away, and if you're still thinking of registering, I ask that you please do so soon because we have to coordinate room usage with the environmental club.
Sam L,
PACE
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Sent entry for one team using link in original post.

Google maps says 144 miles. "Missed it by that much."
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

TJ may possibly end up sending a fifth (!) team. We'll let you know if that actually happens.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Auron

What will be the approximate starting and ending times for this, Sarah? Should we be there by 8am? And when can we expect to start our 200 mile drive home?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:What will be the approximate starting and ending times for this, Sarah? Should we be there by 8am? And when can we expect to start our 200 mile drive home?
I'm sending out an email tonight after I find some time to write one, but registration when will be from 8-8:45. I'm not sure how many rounds we're using, so I honestly have no idea when we'll be done. Last year we had 8 rounds and finished around 3; this year will be longer but still should be done by 5 unless things go wrong. Absolute worst case scenario with every possible thing going wrong: we'll be thrown out at 6:30 because of the play starting at 7. 4-5 seems most likely.

Also, we're going to close registration on Thursday (assuming we don't hit our cap before then) so we can make the schedule. Please register on or by Thursday if you're still thinking of coming, and I'd appreciate it if the schools uncertain of how many teams they're bringing could let me know.
Sam L,
PACE
Auron

Cool, thanks for letting me know. We'll just try to be there as early as we can be, within reason considering we have to start driving at like 4:30am...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Hey, with the teams that are still undecided, we're 1 away from the cap, and if TJ's fifth materializes we've reached it. Please let me know ASAP when you can confirm your number of teams.

Edit: there's a storm brewing in Richmond, so the above-promised email may not happen tonight if I lose power, just to give people a head's up. I'll try to get that sent soon before the actual severe weather part reaches us...
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Hey, if everyone who has registered and says they might be bringing an additional team is, we're one team over the cap, so the last to confirm out of Bassett's 2nd team, Cave Spring's 2nd team, GDS's 2nd team, and TJ's 5th team will go on a waiting list, unless one or more of those teams has failed to materialize. Please let me know ASAP.
Sam L,
PACE
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

It looks unlikely that we'll be able to send a fifth team anymore, though we'll be able to give a certain answer one way or another by tomorrow evening.
Harry White

Will run stats for food
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Mr. Powers has let me know that Cave Spring is bringing one team, so we're now at our cap if those other three in question are attending. I'll start keeping track of a waiting list for any other registrations that may occur and would still like to hear from Bassett, GDS, and TJ ASAP. Thanks.
Sam L,
PACE
lagazzaladra
Lulu

Post by lagazzaladra »

Hi Sarah,

Is the field still open for one more team? TJ can now definitely bring a fifth team.
Seoup Youn
TJHSST 2011
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

lagazzaladra wrote:Hi Sarah,

Is the field still open for one more team? TJ can now definitely bring a fifth team.
Yes, we can fit your fifth team.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

My most recent information puts us at 31 teams, so if one more team wants to register, we can accommodate you. If not, we'll make a scab team of extra players to fill that spot in the schedule.
Sam L,
PACE