Blue Hen XI (3/21/09) Newark, Delaware

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
btressler
Tidus

Blue Hen XI (3/21/09) Newark, Delaware

Post by btressler »

As a successful building reservation has been confirmed, I am pleased to announce that Blue Hen XI will occur on March 21st, 2009 as advertised.

This tournament will use NAQT's question set 83. (Please note that the May tournament in Chatham, New Jersey is currently scheduled to also use this set.)

The Blue Hen will feature at least five preliminary rounds, an exhibition "trash" round, and playoff rounds. Teams will not play the same opponent twice in the preliminary rounds. The exact format of the tournament will be determined after the field size is established.

Schedule:

8:15-9:00 Registration and setup (Sharp Lab)
9:00-9:15 Welcome, Announcements, Rules Discussion
9:15-12:30 Prelim Rounds
12:30-1:30 Lunch
1:30-2:30 Prelim Rounds
2:30-3:00 Trash Round (does not count towards standings)
3:00-5:00 Playoff Rounds

Fees:

First Team: $60
Second Team: $55
Subsequent Teams: $50
Buzzer System -$10/ each
Experienced Moderator: -$10/ each

Checks should be written out to Academic Competition Club (U of DE). Payment may be made the morning of the event, or mailed to Academic Competition Club, c/o Student Activities Office, 218 Trabant University Center, Newark, DE 19716.

During the lunch break, teams may go to the food court at the nearby Trabant Student Center, or other Newark establishments.

To register, send an email to charterquizATgmailDOTcom listing the school name, the number of teams, and buzzers you will be bringing. An advance Invoice is available upon request.

A note on field size: At this time we can accommodate around 30 teams. If we are promised enough moderators and buzzers, we can probably go to 36-40 teams. That is the field size maximum unless there are a bunch of byes, and I doubt we want to do that.

Registration begins immediately.

We also anticipate a trash tournament intended for high schools on Saturday, April 25th. More details on that in a few weeks.

on behalf of Delaware's Academic Competition Club,
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Re: Blue Hen XI (3/21/09) Newark, Delaware

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

You know we'll be coming to this. I can promise 4 teams, one buzzer system, and myself to moderate.

So this is going to be at Sharp Lab instead of Purnell this year? I think that's a first... takes me back to my Physics labs and random Geography classes i had in there, right across the street from my dorm. Memories.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

How many total minutes of Between the Buried and Me was listened to while walking to those geography classes?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auron

Geez i can't even tell you... a ridiculous amount, for sure (during class too, at times). But when you own like 900+ albums, you don't really remember which bands you listened to when...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:So this is going to be at Sharp Lab instead of Purnell this year? I think that's a first... takes me back to my Physics labs and random Geography classes i had in there, right across the street from my dorm. Memories.
When I meet with the team Thursday night I'll get this clarified. But as I think I understand it, we have 20 Purnell classrooms but not the auditorium. I forgot to ask if we have any of the first floor rooms. Those might be big enough for the opening meeting if we have 20-25 teams.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate unlike two out of the last three years.
Bill Tressler,
Auron

Yeah, we'll see what the weather does this time.

Question: are single-elimination playoffs going to be used, again? The only tournaments we've been to with single elimination playoffs this year have been at Princeton, Charter, and Salesianum.

Captain Chris won't be at this tournament (i can't remember the last one he's missed), but we're still shooting for 4 teams. We should get them filled up.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Question: are single-elimination playoffs going to be used, again? The only tournaments we've been to with single elimination playoffs this year have been at Princeton, Charter, and Salesianum.
The Blue Hen has always had single-elimination playoffs, but that doesn't mean we have to this year. Last year it was almost a necessity because a lot of moderators wanted to leave due a lack of sleep, poor planning with assignments, or whatever. I stressed that with the group last week when we talked about the tournament, that people needed to be around for the balance of the day and I was promised it would be better this year.

On the flip side, the playoff brackets I've seen this year haven't always been to my liking. We were there past 7pm when T.J. made State College and Dorman play an advantaged semi-final while we waited around for over an hour. (The time by itself wasn't the end of the world; it was the waiting, that we were all up at 4am, and had a 3 hour trip back.) When the playoff quarterfinals at GDS ended in a circle of death, it felt kinda slimy for us to go to the semi based solely on points scored. In the 4 groups of 6 used at Hunter I felt State College B got the short end of the stick when they went 4-1 but didn't make the top six due to points. I'm not confident Charter B would beat State College B.

After we have a feel for the size of the field, give me something that takes 10 plus or minus 1 rounds, doesn't involve endless tiebreakers, and doesn't exclude a team with one loss from the top bracket, and I'll consider it.
Bill Tressler,
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Yeah, playoff brackets are far superior when done properly; when done improperly (ways to do them improperly: not playing off ties, not having enough packets to do them in the first place but doing them anyway!!!, not having enough good moderators to do them without making your tournament take forever) they are a tradeoff. With 15 packets in the NAQT set, the first two problems should not be an issue here, and hopefully Charter will avoid the pitfalls of certain other tournaments this year by actively tackling the last issue.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

As noted above "enough moderators" was an issue last year. Or at least, enough moderators sticking around until at least 5pm. And our moderating quality varies like anyone else, even though the training is already underway during practices. (UD's, they are the host here. Charter students play.)

As a theoretical question: say we did quarterfinals a la GDS and there's a circle of death. What is the best remedy for this situation? I'd be good with offering additional groups of four for the non-top 16 that chooses to stay.
Bill Tressler,
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Blake can attend, with 1 team and 1 buzzer set.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Auron

Blue Hen (March 2009 Invitation) on Charter's webpage wrote:...
9:30-10:00 Round 1 (various Sharp and Willard rooms)
2:00-2:30 Round 6 (various Sharp and Willard rooms)
Really? Those buildings are a good four minute walk from one another (including three streets to cross), and Willard features the most epic Mayan-temple-like stairs of any building in which i had the displeasure of having 4th floor classes many moons ago. I can only hope that teams will be localized to one building or the other. Remember, little Ryan is going to be on the C Team and he's going to need elevators, etc.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

Remember, little Ryan is going to be on the C Team and he's going to need elevators, etc.
I don't know if this is a really good way of informing him of the fact of this, or a completely awful way of doing so...
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
Auron

I don't see a problem with it, nor would Ryan.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Really? Those buildings are a good four minute walk from one another (including three streets to cross), and Willard features the most epic Mayan-temple-like stairs of any building in which i had the displeasure of having 4th floor classes many moons ago. I can only hope that teams will be localized to one building or the other. Remember, little Ryan is going to be on the C Team and he's going to need elevators, etc.
Apparently, that was what we got. And we're definitely going to have to send some people to Willard since half the classrooms are there and we're already at 20 teams. We're envisioning groups of six for the first set of rounds, and brackets of four for the afternoon.

I can put CR C in the bracket that uses the rooms right next to Sharp 131. I will recheck to make sure there's a ramp into the building.

Willard's fourth floor will hopefully not happen, or at least not until we go above 36 teams. We share your concerns. But since you're so familiar with the locale, now I know which moderator to put there...
Bill Tressler,
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

We are getting close to 30 teams, and probably can't take too many more without some more readers:

http://www.charterschool.org/clubs/acad ... nfield.php

Please get in touch with me if you were interested in attending next Saturday's tournament.

Thanks,
Bill Tressler,
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Participants were sent this information today. At around 36 teams, we will be unable to add anyone else to the field.

===========

Blue Hen participants:

We are looking forward to hosting the eleventh annual Blue Hen on Saturday.

Most details are as posted on the web (http://www.charterschool.org/clubs/acad ... eninfo.php) . Please note that we are starting this year in Sharp Lab 131, which is near the locations of past Blue Hens, but not the same place. Some matches will be played in Willard. We hope to start at 9:00.

http://maps.rdms.udel.edu/campusmapbasi ... us=central

Teams: please check this to make sure we have you listed with the correct number of teams

http://www.charterschool.org/clubs/acad ... nfield.php

Moderators: We have around the right number of moderators, but could be short 1-2. If anyone can volunteer to read, it would really help.

Directions: General driving directions are located here (click on Trabant, which is across the street from the tournament and is a lunch option):

http://admissions.udel.edu/visit/directions.shtml

If you are lost or late, you can call my cell at XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Parking: unfortunately free parking does not exist on campus. I often park in one of the garages, either Trabant or Center for the Arts. The max rate on Saturday is $3. There is also a visitor lot located on College Avenue across from the Library. If anyone is bringing a bus, we recommend that you get dropped off and send your bus back towards the football stadium.

Schedule: at this present time we expect around 36 teams. We will do 5 prelims, then lunch, another 3 rounds, the trash round, and proceed to the semifinal for the top four. Thus, every team is guaranteed eight rounds plus the trash round.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

See you Saturday.

EDIT: We are using Sharp Lab, not Sharp Hall.
Last edited by btressler on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Tressler,
Auron

It's great to see so many Delaware teams attending. And it still looks like a strong field. But i definitely see Charter A and GDS coming out on top... if both Matt and Ian are there, they're my pick to win it all.

Do you know why Mt. Pleasant is not on the list, however? We were really looking forward to playing them for a third time this year as our record stands 1-1 against them...

Our B, C, and D teams have drastically improved as well... they're not going to be the whipping boys (er, girls) that they have been in the past. They're really looking forward to this Saturday.

By the way, St. Thomas More is coming our way on Tuesday afternoon for a practice/scrimmage together. I'll let you know if they've improved as well.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Do you know why Mt. Pleasant is not on the list, however? We were really looking forward to playing them for a third time this year as our record stands 1-1 against them...
I don't know. Many years they have not attended, last year was an exception.

At this point, I would be hard pressed to add them. I'm already concerned about the moderating situation.

On the flip side, 36 teams is the perfect number for the new schedule. It neatly creates groups 6 for the morning and then groups of 4 for the afternoon. I will strive to make sure that everyone gets eight different opponents.

Has anyone ever merged SQBS files? Since we have two buildings this year, I thought it might be worthwhile to have two computers running. Are there any warnings or pitfalls I should be aware of?
Bill Tressler,
Rikku

Our B, C, and D teams have drastically improved as well... they're not going to be the whipping boys (er, girls) that they have been in the past. They're really looking forward to this Saturday.
They will certainly be better, but whether or not they drop the status of "whipping boys" is still up in the air. I'm hopeful though. Now the A-team just has to step up.
Do you know why Mt. Pleasant is not on the list, however? We were really looking forward to playing them for a third time this year as our record stands 1-1 against them...
Apparently there is some sort of play practice that has consumed most of their team on the day of the tournament.

It is going to be somewhat upsetting if they do not attend though. They're a team with a lot of potential, who always shows very well at the tournaments they go to, so it’s disheartening to see them not go to a tournament less than 30min (maybe less) from their school. Also, we've compared ourselves as DE rivals before, so ending the season with a 1-1 record is not ideal, and is not the way I would have liked it to end. I hope they can pull the team together and register for Saturday, but in any case, I suppose there is always next year...
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Bad Boy Bill wrote: Has anyone ever merged SQBS files? Since we have two buildings this year, I thought it might be worthwhile to have two computers running. Are there any warnings or pitfalls I should be aware of?
TAAAAAFT.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Bad Boy Bill wrote: Has anyone ever merged SQBS files? Since we have two buildings this year, I thought it might be worthwhile to have two computers running. Are there any warnings or pitfalls I should be aware of?
You can contact Avram at UCLA who has a web-based stats program that works really well. For BAIT we ran the tournament almost entirely paperless where all moderators input the stats from their computer reading the questions off of. This could be problematic if you lack internet. Otherwise if you have just 2 computers with internet bring the scoresheets to them to enter.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Sacapuntas
Lulu

Post by Sacapuntas »

Mr. Tressler--I don't think it's going to work this year for us (I think my coach may have already sent an email to you on the topic).

I would be more than willing to help with moderating. Trey [or "ImAPC"] says you may be a few people short?
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Peter, you would be more than welcome to be a reader. It would put my mind more at ease.

I didn't get any email from Mr. Stansell.
Bill Tressler,
Sacapuntas
Lulu

Post by Sacapuntas »

Alright, I'll be there.
Peter Andrews
Captain, Mount Pleasant High School '10
Columbia '14

"Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Do you know why Mt. Pleasant is not on the list, however? We were really looking forward to playing them for a third time this year as our record stands 1-1 against them...

At this point, I would be hard pressed to add them. I'm already concerned about the moderating situation.

On the flip side, 36 teams is the perfect number for the new schedule. It neatly creates groups 6 for the morning and then groups of 4 for the afternoon. I will strive to make sure that everyone gets eight different opponents.

Has anyone ever merged SQBS files? Since we have two buildings this year, I thought it might be worthwhile to have two computers running. Are there any warnings or pitfalls I should be aware of?
One option if it's available [i.e. you have internet and it's not blocked] would be to have a mini-HQ that is chatting with main HQ. As scoresheets come into mini-HQ, the director there IMs the score lines to the main director: "Team X 300, Team Y 210. Team X: Billy 1/5/2 55; Mary 1/4/0 55; Chris 0/1/0 10. Team Y: Jamie 2/3/3 45, Adam 0/0/0 0, Oscar 0/2/0 20." At Wash U, we used this for at least one edition of WUHSAC that was spread between buildings and it worked smoothly.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

jonpin wrote:
Bad Boy Bill wrote:

One option if it's available [i.e. you have internet and it's not blocked] would be to have a mini-HQ that is chatting with main HQ. As scoresheets come into mini-HQ, the director there IMs the score lines to the main director: "Team X 300, Team Y 210. Team X: Billy 1/5/2 55; Mary 1/4/0 55; Chris 0/1/0 10. Team Y: Jamie 2/3/3 45, Adam 0/0/0 0, Oscar 0/2/0 20." At Wash U, we used this for at least one edition of WUHSAC that was spread between buildings and it worked smoothly.
In this case, why not just have the moderator chat with main HQ without the intermediary? For an explanation, see this thread.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I think we'll go with the two laptops idea. I'm going to give it a test run Thursday or Friday while all the cherubs finish their state testing to make sure the files merge in an expected way. I'll probably start the file ahead of time so Chris and I begin the tournament in the same place.

We have at least 1 drop, and Charter G may be a drop. So I do have room if anyone is interested. 34 is workable too, two groups will have a bye in the first set.
Bill Tressler,
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:34 is workable too, two groups will have a bye in the first set.
May I suggest interbracket play in this case, even if it doesn't count toward tournament results? I've always found it annoying when more than one team had a bye.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

I did indeed create a 34 team schedule incorporating a cross-bracket round.

Now, as long as we keep it at 33, 34, 35, or 36 teams, I shant make up any more schedules.
Bill Tressler,
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Now, as long as we keep it at 33, 34, 35, or 36 teams....
Good luck on that. Of course, we won't know for sure until Saturday.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
Auron

No time to post about it, but a great day, a couple issues about the tournament but everything was resolved and i was quite happy with outcomes. I didn't see who won but i'm assuming Charter A. HHHW A, Moravian A, and Charter B (i think) were the other teams that made the 4-team semifinals.

Lots of issues with NAQT questions but obviously can't discuss them here. I will say that current events questions are just getting way too out of hand/numerous (Do you read the Business section of the newspaper? Then answer this crap for 10 points each) and the math calculation tossups are getting increasingly annoying (i used to almost tolerate them, but that moment has far passed).

Still a good day. A big "wazzup" to RM B, Moravian, CMW A, and Howard. Good to see you guys.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:Lots of issues with NAQT questions but obviously can't discuss them here.
Please feel free to either email me (jthoppes AT berkeley DOT edu), or save your comments for the IS-set discussion thread I'll be posting after HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Rikku

No time to post about it, but a great day, a couple issues about the tournament but everything was resolved and i was quite happy with outcomes. I didn't see who won but i'm assuming Charter A. HHHW A, Moravian A, and Charter B (i think) were the other teams that made the 4-team semifinals.

Lots of issues with NAQT questions but obviously can't discuss them here. I will say that current events questions are just getting way too out of hand/numerous (Do you read the Business section of the newspaper? Then answer this crap for 10 points each) and the math calculation tossups are getting increasingly annoying (i used to almost tolerate them, but that moment has far passed).

Still a good day. A big "wazzup" to RM B, Moravian, CMW A, and Howard. Good to see you guys.
Right. The pop-culture and excessive currents did get annoying.

Additionally, in regards to the NAQT set, I saw another huge issue. I'm not sure what NAQT considers "Fine Arts", but with what I consider to be art, there seemed to be more than one set of questions were there was NOT A SINGLE art question. I can't say that with huge confidence because, like I said, I don't know what NAQT considers art, but there seemed to be an abysmally low amount of art questions, even for NAQT.

In regards to the tournament its self, there were some issue with readers and teams actually not having one for a round... but the issues were resolved fairly quickly. The readers themselves were great, from what I experienced. Not a single particularly bad one to mention of. Maybe CR A was just lucky, I don't really know, but the ones we had were miles above what we have had in the past. The tournament direction its self was the not the best I have seen, but it was certainly good. So good job for the adept readers and well run tournament!

Regardless of NAQT issues, the good tournament direction and good readers made this a very enjoyable tournament. That and I feel really good about how well all of the 4 CR teams preformed! So thanks again for a good day!
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Very well run. Sorry for cutting out and taking our buzzers, but when your ride says, "We're leaving," there's nothing you can do. Questions weren't bad, but I negged the heck out of them. Agree that current events is getting a little ridiculous, and some of the bonuses were much, much easier than others.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

ImaPC wrote:Additionally, in regards to the NAQT set, I saw another huge issue. I'm not sure what NAQT considers "Fine Arts", but with what I consider to be art, there seemed to be more than one set of questions were there was NOT A SINGLE art question. I can't say that with huge confidence because, like I said, I don't know what NAQT considers art, but there seemed to be an abysmally low amount of art questions, even for NAQT.
IS #83, like any other IS set, contained the following:

6/5 painting
2/2 sculpture
2/2 architecture
1/1 other visual art

If you'd like to talk about specifics, find out if half of the art got buried at tossup #22 or something, drop me an email.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Brief Results:

1st: Charter Motorhead (A) 5-0, 3-0, 2-0
2nd: Half Hollow Hills West A 5-0, 3-0, 1-1
3rd: Charter Metallica (C) 5-0, 3-0, 1-1
4th: Moravian A 4-1, 3-0, 0-2

Other teams in the top sixteen

Charter Black Sabbath (B) 5-0, 2-1
James Blake 5-0, 2-1
Richard Montgomery A 4-1, 2-1
Charter Slayer (E) 5-0, 1-2
Caesar Rodney A 4-1, 2-1
Charter Led Zepplin (D) 4-1, 1-2
Richard Montgomery B 4-1, 1-2
Howard 4-1, 1-2
Aberdeen 3-2, 0-3
Charter Iron Maiden (F) 3-2, 0-3
Archmere A 3-2, 0-3
Caesar Rodney B 3-2, 0-3

I was pleased with the way the schedule worked out and hope to keep it in future years. I like the idea of giving everyone eight rounds. The one thing I might change is how the top sixteen are arranged into the four groups of four. I notice that one of the groups had three teams together that had already played each other in the morning.

We are not pleased with the two building situation. At dinner after the tournament, we brainstormed ideas of what to do with the bureaucracy that has made this more and more difficult each year.

I apologize for the typos on the afternoon schedule. The dangers of copy and paste: one mistake becomes three.

Statistics will take a couple of days. I want to go through them and double check things. And I seem to be missing the consolation rounds in the data file, but hopefully I have the scoresheets.
Bill Tressler,
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Please feel free to either email me (jthoppes AT berkeley DOT edu), or save your comments for the IS-set discussion thread I'll be posting after HSNCT.
IMO there's good and bad.

There were topics that came up in this set that made me say "wow, I haven't heard that answer in a while". Like works of literature that should get asked more often than they do. My perception might be distorted though because we spend a lot of time in college-level sets.

In the final, I was just a bit embarrassed over a few of the bonuses. There was a lit bonus and a pop culture bonus that just about every team in the tournament would have gotten 20 on, let alone the top two teams.

I find that the computation is getting more and more annoying. In the nine packets that I read (one of them twice) I think the players went something like 1 for 20. I have to say 20 because every packet seems to have to have two computations in the first twenty tossups. Even in the final it was annoying because one of two had me lost by the time the question was finished (as in "what are they asking?" and I have math degrees!) and the other question, which was converted, was "multiply some numbers together".

I know this would be more work on NAQT's part, but would it be possible to have two versions of IS sets, one of which replaces the computation with more lit, history, science, fine arts, and RMP? I'm sure I can't be the only person who cares about NAQT that would like something like this.
Bill Tressler,
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Motorhead... Metallica... Black Sabbath... Slayer... Iron Maiden
Ok, who let CHRZ near the brackets this time?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Rikku

HA, as proud as he would be to be the one responsible for this...
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

FredMorlan wrote:Ok, who let CHRZ near the brackets this time?
This is what the seniors picked. I was in favor of Transformers this year, there is plenty of character names to choose from. Perhaps next time.

And before I forget, thank you to all of the readers who helped out, including the coaches, Peter from Mount Pleasant, Raja from Columbia (formerly CSW) and the CR alum whose name I didn't catch.
Bill Tressler,
Rikku

And before I forget, thank you to all of the readers who helped out, including the coaches, Peter from Mount Pleasant, Raja from Columbia (formerly CSW) and the CR alum whose name I didn't catch.
He was Teddy Schleifer.
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
Auron

FredMorlan wrote:
Bad Boy Bill wrote:Motorhead... Metallica... Black Sabbath... Slayer... Iron Maiden
Terrible... getting better but past their prime... hasn't been good since 1979... ditto but for 1990... never liked em.

And don't forget the misspelled "Led Zepplin."

Anyway, yes, i second what Bill says about the math. Not having our "math star" at the tournament on the A Team is a reason why i'm particularly agitated, but i believe our top team literally did not answer a single math tossup yesterday. Math computation questions DO NOT belong in good quizbowl. I've come to love HSAPQ's page where they explain this easy-to-understand point: http://www.hsapq.com/math.html
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Auron

Oh, question to you Bill: how many teams officially qualified for HSNCT from the results of the tournament? Five? Six?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

15% of 34 is 5.1. So six teams qualified.

I believe all of those six already had berths from Delaware tournaments earlier this year.
Bill Tressler,
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Here are the final standings.

Here's where we were after 5 rounds. This file includes all the pseudonyms.
Bill Tressler,
Auron

Alexa's and Seth's stats for their final game got switched... it was Seth who got the 3 tossups in that one.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01