Tournament looking for writers, mirror sites, and editors.

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Tournament looking for writers, mirror sites, and editors.

Post by TheCzarMan »

A spiritual successor to the Spring 2009 BATE Tournament is looking for writers, editors, and mirror sites for a tournament aiming to be held in Spring 2011. Aaron Cohen of RPI and I will once again be heading this tournament, and we have some goals we would like to achieve with this tournament.

- A mirror in every major High School Quizbowl Circuit (NYC Metro, DC Metro, Illinois area, Minnesota, West Coast, Northeast, etc.)
- Once again we will provide mirrors at no mirror fee or cost. Our only stipulation is that the entrance fee to this tournament must be equal to or less than 65 dollars before discounts.
- Like the last tournament, we would like to include some either first time writers or novice writers in the process as most of the writers were for the last one. So besides any returning writers, preference will be given to these people.

We are aiming for this tournament to be something akin to a Nationals warm-up, and hope to have the difficulty in tune with that expectation. Any questions, comments, concerns, or if you wish to write, edit, or mirror, please either post in this thread or email me at nicholaspetrilli at gmail dot com.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Tournament looking for writers, mirror sites, and editors.

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

We are aiming for this tournament to be something akin to a Nationals warm-up, and hope to have the difficulty in tune with that expectation.
Since the set is free I guess I can't complain too much, but don't you think there are already plenty of opportunities for "national warmup" play? I think a lot more teams could derive better utility out of a set that looks like what UGA produced, with very easy questions that good teams can almost always buzz in on the first half of, and which very good teams almost always will 30 the bonuses on, rather than yet another set where tons of leadins go unbuzzed on, and lots of tossups and bonus parts go dead, and people write bonuses where the easy part is Philip Glass. This kind of set describes many housewritten sets that have been widely mirrored, along with some of this year's IS set, most unfortunately, so I think a set that would be very accessible to all teams would be a much better boon to the circuit than yet another set that does a lot of teaching to already top teams.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:
We are aiming for this tournament to be something akin to a Nationals warm-up, and hope to have the difficulty in tune with that expectation.
Since the set is free I guess I can't complain too much, but don't you think there are already plenty of opportunities for "national warmup" play? I think a lot more teams could derive better utility out of a set that looks like what UGA produced, with very easy questions that good teams can almost always buzz in on the first half of, and which very good teams almost always will 30 the bonuses on, rather than yet another set where tons of leadins go unbuzzed on, and lots of tossups and bonus parts go dead, and people write bonuses where the easy part is Philip Glass. This kind of set describes many housewritten sets that have been widely mirrored, along with some of this year's IS set, most unfortunately, so I think a set that would be very accessible to all teams would be a much better boon to the circuit than yet another set that does a lot of teaching to already top teams.
I understand the concern, however I don't think a set written for a national's warm up/late season event has to be overtly difficult to the point that only top teams can have a hope of 30ing the bonus and tossups are read until the last few lines. I think it is possible to write a thoroughly balanced yet difficult tournament the is accessible to everyone, yet still provides a decent challenge to even the top teams. That is partly the reason for getting this planned out now. Hopefully by doing a good bulk of writing in the summer and early fall, we can get our answer selection and such done sooner rather than later and hopefully have much more time to edit and properly gauge the clue progression and bonus progressions.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

I think I could write for this. I don't really anticipate there being a mirror of this very close to Pensacola.
Kay, Chicago.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I think I would be interested in mirroring this tournament in the Southeast...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I would be interested in helping with the writing again, amount to depend on how much other writing commitments I have.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Matthew D wrote:I think I would be interested in mirroring this tournament in the Southeast...
Now, to figure out where DAR is.
Kay, Chicago.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Well DAR is located in Grant AL which is in North Alabama.. your coach as brought teams to my tournaments when I was at Scottsboro.. only 20 minutes up the road from there...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Matthew D wrote:Well DAR is located in Grant AL which is in North Alabama.. your coach as brought teams to my tournaments when I was at Scottsboro.. only 20 minutes up the road from there...
Oh cool. I'll try to get us to those tournaments then.
Kay, Chicago.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Good morning,

As the chief editor (I assume at least) of next year's BATE, I would like to begin inviting all interested writers to join in. BATE will most likely feature 10 rounds plus 2 final rounds, each with 20/20 plus 3 tiebreakers. Doing the math, if we have 10 committed writers just writing 2 questions a day (and these are your pretty standard high school questions), we can have this tournament written in under a month during the summer. I would definitely like this to happen since I won't have the time during the school year to do major writing.

If you're a college student looking to mirror a free, high quality high school set, then I'm sure volunteering to write will help your case. Same goes for high school students. I'd like writers to have a decent amount of writing experience under their belt. You don't have to be perfect, and I'll do any necessary revisions as editor, but I'd rather not have to fix blatantly obvious mistakes.

Finally, if you're the type of person whom the phrases "work on a schedule" and "finish by this deadline" have no meaning for you, please don't sign up as a writer. I understand there are many talented writers who have horrible time management skills, that being said, I don't want the writing of this tournament held hostage by 1 or 2 writers who don't understand the concept of getting this tournament done in a reasonable amount of time. I am serious when I say I want this tournament completely written during the summer. I understand people do things during the summer, and I don't expect someone to be writing during a week long cruise or what not, but if you sign up to write and just bail out on us, you're wasting my time and the time of all the other writers.

So, if you're interested in producing a high quality high school set, shoot me an email at [email protected]
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
SoLegit12
Wakka

Post by SoLegit12 »

I would like to help. I have both writing and editing experience. What's the distribution? My specialties are: History, Social Science, and RMP (without myth)
Nick "Nick" Neuteufel
Criticizing your philosophy and social science writing since 2010.
duPont Manual HS '12
UNC Chapel Hill '16 (VP of the Carlolina Academic Team)
[email protected]
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Good morning,

We could still use a couple (3-4 probably) writers for this tournament. I would like to get the ball rolling on this soon, so please email me at [email protected] ASAP if you're interested. Everything mentioned in the post I made back on March 28th still applies, in case you're curious.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

RMHS is interested (tentatively, of course) in mirroring this.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
mkanu
Lulu

Post by mkanu »

I should really read the titles of threads.
[removed unrelated post]
But now that I have read the title, I too am interested in writing for this set, particularly music and science questions.
Last edited by mkanu on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meghamsh Kanuparthy
duPont Manual A Team Captain
duPont Manual High School Class of 2012
Harvard University Class of 2016
Kahloon
Lulu

Post by Kahloon »

I'd be interested in writing pretty music any subject other than music and geography.
Idrees Kahloon
Dunbar '12
rhonnasmith
Lulu

Post by rhonnasmith »

Is this still an active thread? If so, is the set in the process of being written? Olmsted Falls (OH) may be interested in mirroring this. Please email me rhonnasmithATyahooDOTcom.
Thanks!
Rhonna M. Smith
Olmsted Falls High School, Ohio
Academic Team Coach (2007-present)
Elyria Catholic High School '74
B.A. '91 Baldwin Wallace College
M.A. '97 Ashland University
M.A. '07 Baldwin Wallace College