Sectionals!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ryandillon
Wakka

Sectionals!

Post by ryandillon »

My team is going to be attending a tournament that is using some NAQT Sectionals questions. After practicing on some older ones a few times, the questions aren't extremely difficult, but it's evident that the canon is far wider than what we are normally used to (like IS, HSNCT, PACE, HSAPQ, whatever). I know that for high school purposes the frequency lists are good sources to figure out what sort of authors/artists/musicians are necessary to know in order to form a solid knowledge base. Are there any such sources for the college canon that we're going to encounter? If not, any tips on how to prepare?
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Sectionals!

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

ryandillon wrote:My team is going to be attending a tournament that is using some NAQT Sectionals questions. After practicing on some older ones a few times, the questions aren't extremely difficult, but it's evident that the canon is far wider than what we are normally used to (like IS, HSNCT, PACE, HSAPQ, whatever). I know that for high school purposes the frequency lists are good sources to figure out what sort of authors/artists/musicians are necessary to know in order to form a solid knowledge base. Are there any such sources for the college canon that we're going to encounter? If not, any tips on how to prepare?
ACF Fall packets will have the wider answer space you look for, probably EFT as well.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

If I may go a little bit off topic, if Sectionals is somewhat like ACF Fall, about what level of ACF is the ICT answer space equivalent to?
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

jdeliverer wrote:If I may go a little bit off topic, if Sectionals is somewhat like ACF Fall, about what level of ACF is the ICT answer space equivalent to?
DII ICT corresponds to ACF Winter/Regionals (more the former, I think), DI ICT corresponds (unsurprisingly) to ACF Nationals, with DI SCT falling in between.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Sectionals is not even close to ACF Fall. ACF Regionals is the putative analogue, but Sectionals is actually harder (the DI questions are, anyway).
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

grapesmoker wrote:Sectionals is not even close to ACF Fall. ACF Regionals is the putative analogue, but Sectionals is actually harder (the DI questions are, anyway).
Yeah, he meant DII SCT specifically.
Andrew Watkins
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

The best non-NAQT thing (and free thing) to study for Div II Sectionals, from what i've read of them on average, probably is, as mentioned earlier, the EFT packets from this year. They are harder than ACF Fall for sure, expand the canon from what HSers are used to, and you can still manage 10s and 20s on bonus questions if you're a pretty good high school team just about every time.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

For breadth of canon, which was your issue, you're probably not going to find a close analogue, since NAQT Sectionals has at high rates topics that don't really appear in other tournaments. You're probably best served looking at the tournaments already recommended but also consulting a lot of outside references in areas like current events and geography. Trash you're pretty much boned on unless you already know it.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

For stats comparisons, how very similar lineups for MSU did between two tournaments:

ACF Fall: 237.5 PPG, 16.41 PPB
NAQT SCT-DII: 240.2 PP20TTH, 16.91 PPB

I also agree with the comparison with ACF Winter and ICT D-II, but don't have stats to back it up.
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

nalin wrote:For stats comparisons, how very similar lineups for MSU did between two tournaments:

ACF Fall: 237.5 PPG, 16.41 PPB
NAQT SCT-DII: 240.2 PP20TTH, 16.91 PPB

I also agree with the comparison with ACF Winter and ICT D-II, but don't have stats to back it up.
ICT D-II seemed a ton easier to me, but it could be the removal of Clemson, FSU, Southside, etc from the teams we played.

Edit: ICT D-II Sectionals does not exist.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009