Effective recruitment techniques?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
carlosthejackal
Kimahri

Effective recruitment techniques?

Post by carlosthejackal »

My school's graduating seniors this year will leave pretty sizeable gaps in military history, chemistry, current events and other subjects that I can't seem to remember right now. Our recruiting season differs from that of the other academic teams. While all the other academic teams recruit at the end of each year, we recruit at the beginning of each new school year. This way, we could recruit freshmen or transfer students. However, that means that the new players have limited time to prepare for their first tournament. But before we can worry about preparing the new players, we need tips on how to get them to audition and hopefully make the team. We have about 3600 people in our school, and we're very academic-oriented.

Any tips on effective recruiting strategies that have worked for you or any other recruiting strategies that you have not tried but seem effective?
Carl T.

Arcadia High School '12
kayli
Auron

Re: Effective recruitment techniques?

Post by kayli »

Every year, we usually go to the freshman biology classes (our coach teaches freshman bio and every freshman has to take freshman bio) and give a little spiel about quizbowl. We also do a thing where we let a freshman hold a really big trophy while talking about our accomplishments. Some people join that way. Another way is that some kids who do really well in the freshman bio class are asked by my coach if they want to join quizbowl. Also, we like to tell them tidbits about our super awesome road trip shenanigans.
Kay, Chicago.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I have found if your coach starts talking to certain ones you usually land those players... at least I have managed to do it more often than not... another thing you might do is let some of the ones that think they want to play try it.. I got two the other day using that
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

We have almost 4000 people in our school. Don't worry about recruiting.

Instead, worry about making people study. (heh)
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

What we do is host a "freshman tournament" at the beginning of the year to get people to come and then we hope they stay. This year we got about 10 solid recruits, last year about 3-4. Sometime's it's just luck.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

The most important recruiting tool for me is an actual tournament... i try to have one early in the year that i'll take everyone to, three, four, or five teams if i can... just so all the new players can see how much fun it is and how they will have to work to improve. After one of those, i often have more people trickle in saying "i heard this was fun, can i join or just watch for a lil while?"
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons »

Chipola hosts an annual spring tournament that Mr. Young uses to gauge ability/interest in quiz bowl and recruits the seniors (or the occasional early admit like me).
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Wurzel-Flummery wrote:What we do is host a "freshman tournament" at the beginning of the year to get people to come and then we hope they stay. This year we got about 10 solid recruits, last year about 3-4. Sometime's it's just luck.
What questions do you use?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

Doink the Clown wrote:
Wurzel-Flummery wrote:What we do is host a "freshman tournament" at the beginning of the year to get people to come and then we hope they stay. This year we got about 10 solid recruits, last year about 3-4. Sometime's it's just luck.
What questions do you use?
Usually a round of speed and a round of NAQT A's.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl