Goodman CO Trash discussion

Old college threads.
marnold
Tidus

Goodman CO Trash discussion

Post by marnold »

Hi. So this tournament is done and I want to give the traditional thanks and get the ball rolling on the post-mortem discussion.

First, enormous thanks to the people who staffed Sunday: Margo Emont, Scot Putzig, Michael Hausinger, Susan, Mike Laudermith, Ryan Westbrook, Ahmad Ragab, Charles Hang, and then Will Butler and David Garb for running stats. The logistics of this tournament were complicated by the combination of incompetence and sloth that characterizes the Chicago facilities people these days which made the locking rooms situation a complete mess, but I greatly appreciate the flexibility and competence of the staff for this tournament which kept things moving and concluding at a reasonable time.

Thanks also to my collaborator Susan Ferrari. In terms of division of labor, Susan wrote 50 tossups and bonuses in the music/TV, music, and "other" distributions. Auroni Gupta also very helpfully wrote most of the video games in this tournament (in the last few days of writing, I just couldn't stand writing any more, so I put back in a couple of the video game tossups I wrote before Auroni joined up - Sephiroth, Resident Evil and Konami. I'm thinking those tossups were - predictably - poorly received, so blame me for those and not Auroni. I also wrote the Madden bonus about stuff I actually know about, so I'm guessing that wasn't as poorly received.) I also had a tossup from Andrew Yaphe and some questions from Sam Medley, a friend of mine who had played TRASHionals once: he contributed a couple of tossups, around 10 bonuses and some good ideas for other bonuses. So thanks to all those people, obviously Susan most of all.

Also thanks to the people who played this tournament. My one goal for this was to keep this tournament in the same tradition as the previous CO trashes and having a good, strong field undeniably helped. I'm always glad the trash-only teams come to this tournament and hope they enjoyed themselves as much as they have at previous iterations.

Now some commentary on the set. The short version: I think I succeeded in my goal to produce a distinctly CO-Trash-like set though I think there were definitely some things this tournament could have done better. I think I successfully filled CO Trash's much-coveted "other" distribution with some interesting ideas for tossups and some common-link questions that allowed good coverage of the expansive trash canon. I also thought that stand-up comedy was something that had been underrepresented in most previous trash sets; I didn't want to overdo it by putting a ton of it in there, but I did think I managed to include a couple things that were interesting.

In the other thread, Mike Cheyne said this tournament toed the edge of vanity. I'm not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, I tried pretty hard not to over-represent things that I'm known to be interested in. For example, there were 7 rap tossups in this tournament, 9 if you lump all modern R&B into that category; in the former count, that is actually less than the .75/.75 Mike Bentley said he used at CULT and in the latter case definitely not that much more. There were a few David Lynch-related things (Mulholland Dr. bonus part, Zizek tossup mentioned Lynch, PBR had a clue from Blue Velvet) and probably more comic strip stuff than even previous CO Trashes, but its troubling to think that this was received as just a shit-marnold-loves vanity tournament - I tried really hard to avoid that. On the other hand though, I do think I created a tournament with a particular feel, which I think is part of what makes CO trash interesting. I guess I subscribe to the auteur theory of quizbowl, so maybe I don't object to the claim this was clearly "a Michael Arnold."

The primary thing I regret about this tournament was the fluctuations in bonus difficulty. I don't think there were more than a couple unfair third parts that someone even with excellent knowledge couldn't get, but there were definitely too many bonuses that had no easy part or two hard parts. If I had had another week or so to work on this tournament, I would have tried to smooth out the bonus difficulty.

Anyway, I hope people enjoyed the tournament and I'm interested in any and all comments. I have to correct some stuff about the set then I'll send it to Wastebin.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Re: Goodman CO Trash discussion

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

I know almost nothing about Trash, so I won't make any attempt to label this as a good or bad set. It did seem that everyone enjoyed playing it though.
The one problem I noticed with the set was that it seemed like many of the questions left the first pronoun until the end of the first sentence, making buzzing on the first phrase impossible. I probably had 5-10 questions answered with a character instead of movie, a game instead of game company, or something similar. I also had one player buzz in my room off of the first proper noun in the question and name the game (I think) that character was in, only for the question to later mention the game and ask for something that character did.
I'm sure tiredness had something to do with these mistakes, but I think that some rewording of first sentences would have helped a lot. Since you said you are about to send the set to Wastebin, I'll assume the set is cleared for specific answers to be discussed. This was the lead-in for one question in the first round:
On David Gray’s new album Draw the Line, this woman is featured on the song “Full Steam.”
Is there any reason you do not instead say
This woman is featured on David Gray’s new album Draw the Line on the song “Full Steam.”
I realize this sort of change is not the first priority when writing questions, but I hate not being able to give points to people who have clear knowledge of a question's material.

EDIT: That question I mentioned above I believe started this way:
A high school boxer named Akihiko [BUZZ: Persona] Sanada has this figure along with Polydeuces as his persona in that series
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

I had a lot of fun at this and it was my favorite of all the trash tournaments I've played. You could tell a lot of care went into selecting diverse and interesting answers. I'd also like to thank my teammates Surya and Andy for cheerfully playing this despite experiencing a hellish series of travel disasters the night before.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I was using the word "vanity" rather loosely and I certainly didn't mean this to be a slur (I'm not up on what the connotations of this word are in quizbowl--I thought of it more as a good natured jibe--remember now, I crank out vanity tournaments on a monthly basis, so I don't see it as wrong). That said, I certainly did NOT think of it as "shit Marnold loves vanity tournament." I think my usual poor choice of words plus lack of sleep plus poor memory plus bitterly remembering tossups that burned our team made me think more of certain things were coming up than others, so I'm happy to admit I went off half-cocked and made a boner in my original post.

That also said, this tournament definitely, as you said, had an auteur style to it that marked it different than other trash tournaments I've played. There's nothing wrong with this at all--in fact, all trash tournaments (and academic tournaments) and whatnot all have their own feel to some extent with things we really like and really dislike from them all. I enjoyed this tournament immensely despite, if we use the auteur theory, not hitting my sweet spots in the same way as other quizbowl trash auteurs have. That's the best you can hope for. I get the sense you may want to be more specific (at least you seemed to want me to do that yesterday), but I have no idea what to say. The style didnt hit me as much as I wanted, but that's like telling Woody Allen his films are in New York too much. No point.

Getting into the obligatory poodle dee, poodle doo I LOVED IT/I HATES IT part of the breakdown, there were a lot of things that I felt were just plain superb about this. The trash lit I thought was super neat and it was great to hear a well written tossup on Murder on the Orient Express. The movies/TV had a pleasant variety to them, although some of the performer questions seemed really hard--of all the actors in Major League, why ask about James Gammon and the dude who played Harris? Why ask about Polly Holliday and not just Flo? You need to know the NAME of the guy who played Doberman on Sgt. Bilko? However, one brilliant idea in the TV thing was writing the Gilda Radner/SNL tossup by focusing on sketch character roles without making it seem transparent or subjective to lists (I got that off primary knowledge and felt neat). Comic books/comic strips were also great to see and rewarded some real comic book knowledge--questions on Neal Adams? Using Nick Cardy information to answer an Aquaman tossup? Dykes to Watch Out for? A++++

There seemed to be a few niggling bloopers that occasionally popped up. Modern Family isn't on FOX, it's on ABC. The gay film director in Blazing Saddles isn't Billy Bizarre, it's Buddy. Those are just two I remember right now.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Mike wrote:There seemed to be a few niggling bloopers that occasionally popped up. Modern Family isn't on FOX, it's on ABC. The gay film director in Blazing Saddles isn't Billy Bizarre, it's Buddy. Those are just two I remember right now.
These were both my mistakes--thanks to you (and others) for pointing them out. We'll fix those in the posted version of the set. Glad you liked the Radner tossup!
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat wrote: EDIT: That question I mentioned above I believe started this way:
A high school boxer named Akihiko [BUZZ: Persona] Sanada has this figure along with Polydeuces as his persona in that series
This one was entirely my fault. When I wrote the longer version of this question, I made Persona an acceptable answer until its mention. Then, after editing the question, I had trimmed down the first clause of the tossup and removed the alternate answer for some bizarre reason. I shouldn't have done that.

That said, I'd like everyone's opinion on the video game questions that I wrote for this set, which were all of them except for the ones that Marnold said that he wrote upthread.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
gregpweinstein
Lulu

Post by gregpweinstein »

-of all the actors in Major League, why ask about James Gammon and the dude who played Harris?

James Gammon on top of being a pretty prolific actor just died last week, which I presume was why he was up there though I do agree the actor who played Harris seemed a smidge on the hard side. All in all, I really liked the questions, and when I get a chance to see them on wastebin I'll find out why I didn't do better, but I look forward to making it up there next summer, especially if Arnold is the editor/main writer again.

I really liked the sports questions in this tourney, and it was good to see my weeks of studying sports didn't go to waste as I got a power on Jamie Moyer and pulled George Gervin. And this probably lends itself more towards taste, but there were definitely more questions on older music like 50's and 60's wise, especially with the girl groups and then the rapper/r&b questions which you mentioned, though I seem to be the only one who knows who Jason Derulo is haha, but I would have liked to have seen more modern rock as the only ones I remember were a Puddle of Mudd tossup and a Train bonus, though I could be mistaken, and also seemingly less classic rock but I'll defer to more knowledgeable minds on that topic.

All in all, Bravo!
Mr. Charles Montgomery Burns, "I cant be responsible for what my goons are ordered to do."
Greg "Lover of red-headed women, The Simpsons, and various other stuff" Weinstein
Berry College 2007-?
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I'm just wondering, why is Zizek an answer line in a trash tournament? Is he like, not a real philosopher by quizbowl standards?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

gyre and gimble wrote:I'm just wondering, why is Zizek an answer line in a trash tournament? Is he like, not a real philosopher by quizbowl standards?
He is. I haven't seen the CO trash question on him, but I bet that he's involved enough in popular culture that enough clues could be put together to write a trash question on him.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
The Moviegoer
Lulu

Post by The Moviegoer »

every time i refresh i have a new name wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:I'm just wondering, why is Zizek an answer line in a trash tournament? Is he like, not a real philosopher by quizbowl standards?
He is. I haven't seen the CO trash question on him, but I bet that he's involved enough in popular culture that enough clues could be put together to write a trash question on him.

Indeed he is, and in fact he came up at HI. The clues, at least the first ones, were from "The Pervert's Guide to the Cinema" which is a movie of him musing on popular films.
Craig Messner
Illinois '12
Lakes Community '08
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

The Moviegoer wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:I'm just wondering, why is Zizek an answer line in a trash tournament? Is he like, not a real philosopher by quizbowl standards?[/quot

Indeed he is, and in fact he came up at HI. The clues, at least the first ones, were from "The Pervert's Guide to the Cinema" which is a movie of him musing on popular films.
The very first clue was from a review of Avatar published in various newspapers and websites. While he's certainly an academic figure, much of his work (if not all) is closely tied to popular culture and current events, making him a fine choice for this tournament, much better than a trash tossup on Nietzsche or something. Needless to say, that tossup made my day. Thanks, Marnold.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

This tournament was an absolute joy to play. Probably the most fun I've had playing quizbowl recently. I was thrilled by several answer questions, most notably cyber sex, Joe Strummer (nothing like 3 people buzzer racing on the leadin), Don Larsen's perfect game (there should be more tossups on individual games), and the Wim Wenders bonus. As Mike stated, the tournament had a certain feel to it, but that's part of what I liked about it. Just like CO felt like a Jerry tournament, Goodman felt like a Marnold tournament. For the most part, the difficulty seemed fine, though the stuff Mike mentioned was probably too hard, as was Heltah Skeltah (did anyone get this right?) and the Steve Lillywhite bonus (I had out and out never heard of the first part and it seemed hard to get Lillywhite from the clues given for him). I wasn't a huge fan of the Pistons-Nuggets tossup, because everyone figured out that it was the Nuggets well, well before it was logical to know that it was the Pistons. Basically, everyone spent a while waiting to fill in the blank in "the Nuggets and blank".

All in all, great tournament. Thanks a ton, Marnold, Susan, et al.!
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

tetragrammatology wrote:
The Moviegoer wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:I'm just wondering, why is Zizek an answer line in a trash tournament? Is he like, not a real philosopher by quizbowl standards?[/quot

The very first clue was from a review of Avatar published in various newspapers and websites. While he's certainly an academic figure, much of his work (if not all) is closely tied to popular culture and current events, making him a fine choice for this tournament, much better than a trash tossup on Nietzsche or something. Needless to say, that tossup made my day. Thanks, Marnold.
Alright. I mean, I got this when I heard Welcome to the Desert of the Real which I'm pretty sure was in the giveaway, and I suppose I was tuning out throughout most of the tossup. So I wasn't sure what the clues were about when I posted my question, and I haven't read enough college packets to know that Zizek had in fact come up in academic tournaments before.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As expected, this tournament was fun to play. I think there were several areas it could have improved on, though.

I don't think the bonuses had a very good sense of how difficult they wanted to be. There were way too many fuck you 3rd parts for my liking. Some bonuses very transparently lacked easy parts, while others were extremely generous in this area (for instance, compare the very hard food bonus with the extremely easy TV bonus that began with Canada).

I'd personally like to see the amount of music in this tournament reduced in comparison to other subjects. I don't know if the distribution has been announced anywhere, but it seemed like there was at least 5/5 music in each packet which strikes me as too much--especially as movies and TV seemed less in comparison. It would also be grand if this tournament would finally get over the hump and actually include 1/1 videogames in each packet.

I agree with Mike Cheyne that this had a very distinctive Marnold feel to it. To me, this was represented by things like there being a relative abundance of common link tossups on amusing things that happen to people (e.g. wetting your pants, falling down an elevator) and more than a few instances of just telling jokes rather than giving clues.

I'll have more to say later, but I need to go now.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

This tournament was definitely worth only getting two hours of sleep for. I liked a lot of what came up (finally Battlestar Galactica shows up somewhere) and some of the questions made me laugh (like the bonus on Hackers actors that aren't Angelina Jolie). I wish I had slowed down and thought out a couple things before buzzing (like where Taken takes place), but I was happy to see that there weren't many questions that you could just figure out and buzz in early on without having a lot of real knowledge on the subject (like The Royal Tenenbaums tossup). Next time I hope someone leaves a chair/garbage can in the doorway so we don't have to play a match in the hall again.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

This tournament was very clearly flawed, in that Archer was absent as a tossup, bonus part, or even clue all through the set (at least that I heard; perhaps the extra packets can exonerate this set).

In some seriousness, though, I enjoyed the set despite my lack of trash abilities, and the winners clearly knew what was up. Most of the stuff I would say in criticism has been covered. I have some theories about writing trash that maybe I'll throw into my quizbowl manifesto some day, but probably not.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

I'm glad the reaction is mostly positive and I agree with almost all the criticisms so far. Three comments:

- In response to Mike, the rough distribution I used was the same as the last years: sports 20%, TV/movies 30%, music and "other" both 25%. I'm not sure whether I'm convinced that's too much for music.

- Another goal for this tournament is trying to find some way to write a Simpsons tossup that was pyramidal and would produce a reasonable distribution of buzzes. Given how much Simpsons knowledge is spread throughout the field, this seemed like a remarkably difficult thing to do, so I'm curious whether my solution to the problem worked out.

- In terms of next year, I'm tentatively interested in writing (or heading up writing) this set again.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Regarding the Simpsons tossup: I'm genuinely not sure what to think of it. I felt like I answered it with extremely minimal knowledge, but maybe it was just a random clue I recognized (I buzzed on Satan and God).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

marnold wrote:In response to Mike, the rough distribution I used was the same as the last years: sports 20%, TV/movies 30%, music and "other" both 25%. I'm not sure whether I'm convinced that's too much for music.
I'm curious in hearing people's preference in this area. The trash tournaments that I usually write are more along the lines of 20% sports, 20% music, 20% TV, 20% movies and 20% other. I think this distribution probably gives a bit too much weight to TV, while I think the CO Trash distribution gives a bit too much weight to music at the expense of movies.

Do you have a sense of how much of the "other" distribution was on common-link subjects that mostly covered big-four categories?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I enjoyed playing this tournament, and I thought it was a great Trash set. The bonus about the Dallas Aces was awesome (the whole story of that team is pretty interesting).
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
gregpweinstein
Lulu

Post by gregpweinstein »

In regards to The Simpsons tossup, being a self-professed uber-nut of the show, I had an inkling in my head pretty early it was that, but due to the exact same answer being used recently in another tournament I held off until finally I rang in around sentence 2 or 3.

In regards to the whole distribution, I always thought of a 25% sports, 25% movies, 20% tv, 20% music, and then 10% other. I always figured this seemed the right way to go in terms of what people generally care about and what is given the greater preference (i.e. movies being the main focus at comic-con while television was there but not as substantial. I know thats a weird example, but it seems to fit.) Anyway, if I ever wrote a tournament that is pretty much how I would do it, although maybe taking away some bonuses from some of the main categories for stuff like video-games or comics which seem to becoming more prevalent. But then again, this question distribution thing will probably never be solved haha
Mr. Charles Montgomery Burns, "I cant be responsible for what my goons are ordered to do."
Greg "Lover of red-headed women, The Simpsons, and various other stuff" Weinstein
Berry College 2007-?
Susan

Post by Susan »

For people like Mike and Greg who propose distinct divisions between movies and TV--how do you handle questions on performers (or other things) that span both TV and movies? A decent chunk of our movies/TV distro was devoted to "misc. movies and TV" questions that spanned both fields (for example, this allowed me to include the easiest possible Angela Lansbury clue in a question that was mostly devoted to her film work).
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Here's the answer matrix we were using with the breakdown. Note that things were very flexible: I called bridge a sport, the Renault tossup was mostly F1 but was under "other," some of "other" stuff probably could just as easily have gone into tv/movies, the creation of the common-link categories outside of years was just arbitrary, there are fewer "other" bonuses than tossups because if it was mixed between categories it was often just put with the majority category, etc.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Not That Kind of Christian!!
Yuna

Post by Not That Kind of Christian!! »

tetragrammatology wrote:
The Moviegoer wrote:

This is awesome. Also awesome is that scene that was apparently referenced in the PBR tossup. If those two tidbits represent Marnold trash, then I have to say that Marnold trash must be awesome.
Hannah Kirsch
Brandeis University 2010
NYU School of Medicine 2014

"Wow, those Scandinavians completely thorbjorned my hard-earned political capital."
gregpweinstein
Lulu

Post by gregpweinstein »

myamphigory wrote:For people like Mike and Greg who propose distinct divisions between movies and TV--how do you handle questions on performers (or other things) that span both TV and movies? A decent chunk of our movies/TV distro was devoted to "misc. movies and TV" questions that spanned both fields (for example, this allowed me to include the easiest possible Angela Lansbury clue in a question that was mostly devoted to her film work).

I am not sure about everyone else, but for the future I would try and make something mostly in one category. For instance, the question on Angela Lansbury (which I believe this is how it was done) could have all movie clues and then FTP name this actress who also starred as Jessica Fletcher on Murder She Wrote. That would fall under the movie category, and would also probably be harder, but still very gettable at the end. And then when writing cross-distribution questions, a writer must be aware he/she is doing that, and then plan accordingly with the rest of the round. For instance, a question on Betty White that switched from her tv roles to her movie roles and back again would fall into both categories and then, therefore the question writer would have to realize that fills both categories and then just decide which one he/she wants to take it away from. Or theoretically, I guess you could presumably make it 25% sports, 45% movies/tv, 20% music, and 10% other. And then just fill it that way. Either way I believe it would fall into the same thing, but again this is just my take on packet distributions, and I'm sorry Marnold for hijacking the discussion board for your very well-written tournament haha.
Berry College 2007-?
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

One thing this tournament did really well was avoiding the "robot element" that pops up in trash a bit. There have been times where just hitting up filmographies or cast lists or whatever have gotten me points and that's fine, certainly. But it was very satisfying to get a number of powers from actual real knowledge (in fact, ironically, far more so in this tournament than in the other CO events!). This was probably one of the more prolific tournaments in a while that I've managed to answer tossups on books I've read (Murder on the Orient Express, Winegardner's Godfather sequels), films I've seen, and TV shows I've watched off of plot point descriptions. I also liked the rewarding of comic book history--knowing about Nick Cardy's very important work on Aquaman was rewarded more than some dumb SuperFriends or Robot Chicken joke about him. Well done in this regard.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

I usually hate these sort of posts, but what's the ETA on the set being posted?
Rachel
UChicago 09
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:I usually hate these sort of posts, but what's the ETA on the set being posted?
I just emailed it to Mike. You just can't wait to see the Nolan Esser meta reference in this tournament, can you?
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

marnold wrote:
Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:I usually hate these sort of posts, but what's the ETA on the set being posted?
I just emailed it to Mike. You just can't wait to see the Nolan Esser meta reference in this tournament, can you?
Well, I was wondering if it was about me or a hard-as-fuck bonus part about this guy: http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/esser-conc ... 82160.html
Rachel
UChicago 09
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

And as it happens, it was both!
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Set is up on Wastebin.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

fizzball
Wakka

Post by fizzball »

I tell you, if I had let a tossup on Yello go through when I was editing TRASH music, I would have gotten an earful...

This was a very good set. I especially enjoyed the amounts of Criterion in the movies, and decent 80s music (aforementioned Yello, plus Bauhaus, Liquid Liquid, Kirsty MacColl, etc.) With the exception of the Joe Strummer TU, power placement seemed better than it had been in past years. I still question the use of powers in an open tournament, though. I've gone on about this previously, but in short, I think they reward older trash players just for being old.

The only real dog of a question was The Wire bonus, specifically the part saying The Wire and Homicide TV shows were both based on the book The Corner. The Wire shared some very very general themes with The Corner, but can't be said to be truly "based on" that book.
Homicide had wrapped five seasons by the time The Corner was published, which would make that a nifty trick. The TV show which was based on The Corner was the HBO miniseries of the same name.

All in all, good times. Thanks to Marnold, Susan, and all the staff.
--Greg Sorenson
Gerbils
Susan

Post by Susan »

fizzball wrote: The only real dog of a question was The Wire bonus, specifically the part saying The Wire and Homicide TV shows were both based on the book The Corner. The Wire shared some very very general themes with The Corner, but can't be said to be truly "based on" that book.
Homicide had wrapped five seasons by the time The Corner was published, which would make that a nifty trick. The TV show which was based on The Corner was the HBO miniseries of the same name.
Hey--sorry, that was entirely my screwup; I meant to write something about how both shows, plus The Corner, were based on his actual reporting, but obviously I failed to fix the erroneous clue I originally put in. I hope that did not impede anyone from getting the question if they were familiar with The Wire, Simon, The Corner, etc., and if it did, I certainly apologize.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I played 3.5 rounds of this tournament and what I played was fun. I answered questions, which I rarely do in trash tournaments. I imagine other rounds in this tournament were similarly fun and I would have enjoyed playing them.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance