Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at WUSTL (9/25/10)

Old college threads.
Charbroil
Auron

Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at WUSTL (9/25/10)

Post by Charbroil »

Thank you to everyone who attended this event. Statistics can be found at http://results.scobo.net/Charbroil/10WUSTLACFNovice

The Washington University College Bowl Team will be hosting a mirror of the Academic Competition Federation (ACF) Early Autumn Collegiate Novice Event on September 25th, 2010.

I, Charles Hang, will be serving as the Tournament Director. To register for the tournament, or if you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

Time

Tournament check-in will begin at 9:30 AM, morning announcements will be at 10:00, and play will begin at 10:15. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over before 5:00. Each team will be guaranteed eight games, and there will be finals as necessary to determine the champion.

The tournament will be taking place in Eads Hall (Building 32 on the map at http://www.wustl.edu/community/visitors ... rthmap.pdf). Parking is plentiful for the event, and any of the major parking lots on the map should be fine.

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at [email protected] with the following information:

1/ The Number of teams you will be bringing
2/ The Number of buzzers you will be bringing
3/ The number of players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ The number of staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing

All registrations must be received prior to the date of the tournament. Once you register, I will send out all necessary information. Please feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

Fee Structure

Base fee: $15/player [$60 for a 4 person team]
$5 off the base fee for schools per working buzzer system provided
$10 off the base fee for schools per competent staffer*
$10 off the base fee for schools for each 100 miles traveled
Minimum fee: $5/player [$20 for a 4 person team]

Showing up late without getting in touch with me: +$20 penalty.

*To be defined as an individual capable of either reading a 20 tossup, 20 bonus match in under 30 minutes or capable of scorekeeping such a match.

We are, of course, willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc. Checks should be made out to "Washington University College Bowl;" we can also take cash payments, but greatly prefer payment by check.

High School Staffing Discount

In addition to offering the above discounts for collegiate teams attending this event, we will also be offering a $10 discount to every high school player, coach, or anyone else involved with a high school event who volunteers to staff our event, to be applied towards admissions fees for our high school tournament, the Washington University High School Academic Challenge (WUHSAC). We will also offer a $5 discount per 50 miles traveled, one way, for individuals affiliated with high schools traveling 50 or more miles to staff our tournament.

Also, volunteers who bring buzzer sets will be eligible for an additional $10 WUHSAC registration discount per buzzer. We will be offering six such discounts in total.

Eligibility

1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below. ACF eligibility rules can be found at http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/acfrules_final.pdf beginning on page 3.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits).
ii. If you were ever on a playoff team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Procedure for applying for special permission to play: 1) Email Andrew Hart at [email protected]; 2) state which of the Rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 3) list when and how you came to achieve any of the accomplishments that lead to your being otherwise ineligible; 4) state succinctly why you want to play.

Questions

The tournament will be using the ACF Novice set, a set of accessible and short questions geared towards beginner players. For more information, please check here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9873

Field (To be updated as registrations and expressions of interest appear)

Attending
WUSTL 2+
Truman State University 3
Harris Stowe State University 2
St. Charles CC 1
Missouri
Missouri S&T

Expressed Interest

I look forward to seeing you at Washington University on September 25th!
Last edited by Charbroil on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:11 am, edited 22 times in total.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at WUSTL (9/25/10)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Well, since you all are aren't much further away than the Shorter site (and also in our time zone), Western Kentucky is expressing interest in attending with 2-3 teams. Once we have our first practices and see how many people would like to go, I'll send you an e-mail for registration.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Hey, I forgot to mention this in my previous post, but volunteers who bring buzzers will also get an additional $10 discount, and we'll be offering six such discounts in total.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

This tournament is now happening; after some technological errors, Round 1 is drawing to a close.

Live Stats: http://results.scobo.net/Charbroil/10WUSTLACFNovice
Charles Hang

Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

The stats link doesn't work.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Papa's in the House wrote:The stats link doesn't work.
I hadn't uploaded the files yet; it's fine now.
Charles Hang

Javatron
Lulu

Post by Javatron »

This is like watching a Parkway Central reunion...
Sabrina Fritz

Villa Duchesne (MO) -- Class of 2011
Northwestern University (IL) -- Class of 2015
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I would like to congratulate WUSTL C, led by tournament top scorer Joel Muskin-Pierret, for winning our mirror of the ACF Early Autumn Collegiate Novice Tournament. Second place (which was determined by PPG) went to Truman State A.

Final Stats can be found here: http://results.scobo.net/Charbroil/10WUSTLACFNovice

Also, I'd like to acknowledge the various staffers without whose help it wouldn't have been possible to host this event. In addition to the members of WUAT who helped staff, they included our high school staffers from Carbondale Community High School in Illinois, Ben Chametzky and Srinivas Panchamukhi, as well as Charlie Beard, Dylan Becraft, and Sam Haynes from Clayton, Fort Zumwalt West, and Jefferson City High Schools in Missouri. In addition, I'd like to thank Charlie Dees from the University of Missouri, as well as Amanda Krus and Amy Payne from Truman State University for their help.
Charles Hang