MUT Mirror at Rock Bridge HS, Columbia, MO (4/30/2011)

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

MUT Mirror at Rock Bridge HS, Columbia, MO (4/30/2011)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that I will be directing the Missouri-area mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on April 30th, 2011. This tournament will be a low-difficulty college event written by the University of Minnesota quizbowl team.

Who is eligible to play this tournament?

Anyone who is considered undergraduate eligible by the rules of ACF is allowed to play in this event. Those rules from ACF are as follows -
For collegiate tournaments which recognize high-finishing teams and/or individuals of "undergraduate" status, an "undergraduate" player is a player who did not receive a BA or equivalent or higher degree prior to the academic year in which the tournament is taking place, and meets EITHER or BOTH of the following conditions:

11.1 The player graduated from high school in an academic year four or fewer years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place

11.2 The player did not participate in any collegiate or open academic quizbowl tournaments before the fall semester of the academic year three years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place.
All college students must play on the team representing a school they are enrolled in.

In addition to undergraduate college students, high schoolers are eligible to play this event. However, because of local high school eligibility rules preventing school teams from playing this sort of event, we will allow any high schoolers to make open teams together. Those open teams must have only high schoolers on them. If out of state high school teams wish to travel to this tournament, they will be able to play as their normal school team.

How much will this cost?

The base fee for this tournament will be $110 per team. Discounts for the following things will be offered:
$5 off for each buzzer a team brings
$10 for each staffer a team brings
$10 for ever 200 miles a team travels, one way, as determined by Google maps

The team at Rock Bridge will be running the tournament, so you will need to pay them.

Where will this tournament be held?

This tournament is being held at Rock Bridge High School, whose street address is -
4303 S Providence Rd.
Columbia, MO, 65203

Teams should meet in the Media Center to register around 8:30, and round 1 will begin at 9.

Do we have to write questions to play?

No. I have been told by Minnesota that they are planning on producing the set themselves.

How does a team register?

You can register by emailing me at [email protected], letting me know how many teams you are bringing, and what discounts you are planning on claiming.

Who is registered?

Open Team 1
Harding University
Kansas State
Missouri Valley
Oklahoma University
Truman State (2)
University of Arkansas (1-2)
University of Missouri (1-2)
Washington University (1-2)

Hope to hear from your teams,

-Charles Dees, Tournament Director
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
alexdz
Rikku

Re: MUT Mirror at Rock Bridge HS, Columbia, MO (4/30/2011)

Post by alexdz »

I've already sent in our email, but count on at least one team from Mizzou (possibly 2) with 2 buzzers.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Flutist Wren
Lulu

Post by Flutist Wren »

I'll be on an open team with some combination of other players at this... currently it's me, Dylan Becraft, and Sabrina Fritz.
Sam Haynes
Jefferson City High 2011
WUSTL 2015
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

So we just booked our hotel and my advisor wondered why so many hotels were booked for that weekend. Not a big deal, we got rooms, just curious as to why.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17

Because so many teams want to come play this tournament! (Honestly, I have no idea, the MSHSAA music championships are happening for a couple days before and during this event but I doubt that's it).
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Jill-G
Kimahri

Post by Jill-G »

I'm tentatively going to say that the University of Tulsa is attending this tournament. I'll register officially when we know for sure.

Edit: fixed the split infinitive. Oops.
Jill Graves, University of Tulsa '14
President, TU Academic Bowl Team 2011

Jill-G wrote:I'm tentatively going to say that the University of Tulsa is attending this tournament. I'll register officially when we know for sure.

Edit: fixed the split infinitive. Oops.
I have not received any email from you registering a team. Are you still interested in doing so? Please send me an email if so.

Congratulations to Battle Hymn of the Tamil Tiger Mother, an open team of high schoolers, who came back from a disadvantage to win 2 games in a row in the final against the other open team, If you put the "sailor scale" thing in one more time, you'll be banned. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves today!

Stats are here - http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

First of all - thanks for hosting a great tournament. We had a bunch o' fun and found the set to be very enjoyable.

Second - some stats stuff. Team scores are apparently switched on our game with Oklahoma. WUStL B beat us 300- whatever, not 200-whatever, and I only played a half game against them. There appear to be a couple of teams with the incorrect number of tossups heard.

But that isn't a big deal since, you know, the open teams were outstanding - good luck to all you guys at your national tournaments.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17