ACF Regionals at UALR

Old college threads.
crobbins52
Lulu

ACF Regionals at UALR

Post by crobbins52 »

University of Arkansas-Little Rock hosted a small tournament on this year's ACF Regionals set. The teams were UALR, Langston, Arkansas A, Arkansas B, and Harding. The tournament ran a double round robin, after which Harding was 8-0. Arkansas' last round was against its other team, so they left after Round 9.

The stats can be found at this link http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
cchiego
Yuna

Re: ACF Regionals at UALR

Post by cchiego »

This is pretty awesome that it happened. Although MUT, ECNT, or even an IS set probably would've been more appropriate, frankly.

Have you tried to get Rhodes from Memphis to come to some of your Arkansas events? They used to be fairly active in CBI and even went to some SCTs. There's also some faculty member in the U Memphis Engineering Dept. who used to host high school tournaments there, so if contacted perhaps he could grab together a team. Can't remember his name though. Whatever happened to that Hendrix team that used to show up occasionally too?
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
crobbins52
Lulu

Post by crobbins52 »

Yeah, I agree that an easier set would definitely have been more appropriate. MUT was out because two of the teams in attendance (hopefully more can sign up!) are going to the Missouri mirror. We held Early Fall Collegiate at Harding and UALR and Arkansas were both there. I don't know that an IS set would have been appropriate, but most of the teams in attendance were generally overwhelmed by the difficulty. That said, the goal was to have some fun with the area teams, most of whom don't get to many tournaments. It was a pretty lax atmosphere, and I think that made the difficulty not seem so bad. Goal accomplished, I'd say. It was also nice to see Langston playing outside of HCASC again.

Hendrix just hasn't gotten a team together like I heard they were going to this year. Central Arkansas used to be active, too. Dunno what happened there. I had no idea that Memphis or Rhodes had anything - I'll definitely have to look into that if we host Early Fall Collegiate (happening again?) next fall. I think we could start seeing a few more things happening in the AR/OK area, especially if we get a couple more teams involved.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

crobbins52 wrote:I think we could start seeing a few more things happening in the AR/OK area, especially if we get a couple more teams involved.
Just FYI, I hope that next year's Region 11 SCT will be at Missouri State again, so it should be pretty convenient for you all to come up still. The folks in the unions there that helped be coordinate it had a lot of fun with it, and they are very interested in doing it again and making it an even better experience. It would be nice to see some more attendance from those AR/OK teams, and if you guys host some things, Mizzou for one would definitely consider coming down if we weren't going to anything closer, as I'm sure would other MO teams. I'm hearing some grumblings about a potential team at kU (decapitalization intentional, gotta keep the rivalry alive) and stuff in OK or even AR would be fairly convenient for them (more so than IL, anyway).
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

I'm also glad to see that this tournament was hosted. I think the HBCUs are an untapped market, and in addition to Langston, I would also love to see more HBCUs play in tournaments outside of HCASC.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Swank diet wrote:This is pretty awesome that it happened. Although MUT, ECNT, or even an IS set probably would've been more appropriate, frankly.
While I agree that this set was too hard for the field, I will urge you to not consider using an IS set the next time you host a tournament. College teams playing on IS sets will have their growth and rate of improvement stunted, and the transition to actual college sets will be that much harder. If the teams that felt that this tournament was too hard were to sit down at practice and read everything from 2010 ACF Fall to last year's ACF Regionals, inclusive, then they will see a decent amount of improvement and the learning of some basics.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
KGeee
Wakka

Post by KGeee »

Oh, hi there. This was fun. Thanks for posting and helping put this together, Caleb.

I, personally, didn't think the packet was that bad for this tournament since most of the teams were about on the same level (outside of Harding).

Difficult for the field? Clearly, but it was a good experience and I thought everyone learned from the packet. I think it comes down to getting teams out here like Langston and ourselves into a full season of tournaments before getting to this point.

(Grammar edit.)
Kyle Gregory
Langston University '09
UALR Law '12
University of Oklahoma College of Law Visiting Student 2011-2012