Missiles of October mirror at Rock Bridge (Oct. 1)

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Missiles of October mirror at Rock Bridge (Oct. 1)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

This post is just a heads up that Rock Bridge got approved to run a mirror of the MOO tournament being written by the University of Michigan and University of Virginia's quizbowl teams, and it will probably be on October 1st pending confirmation of that date from people with more decision making power than me. We welcome all college teams to attend, and we will be again allowing high schoolers to play on their own open teams also, Battle Hymn of the Tamil Tiger Mother-style. More information to be released down the line.
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
crobbins52
Lulu

Re: Missile of October mirror at Rock Bridge

Post by crobbins52 »

At least one Harding team should be at this.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17

Re: Missiles of October mirror at Rock Bridge (Oct. 1)

Hello everyone,

Rock Bridge High School in Columbia, MO has officially decided to run a mirror of the Missiles of October tournament on October 1st, 2011. I will be the tournament director. The set is being written and edited by quizbowl teams at the University of Michigan and the University of Virginia, and it will be a "regular difficulty" event.

We will be allowing teams representing different colleges, made up of students at those colleges who are eligible to play in either official NAQT or ACF events this season, including graduate students. We will also allow open teams for high schoolers to play in the event, although we will not allow any college students or people to play on any open team.

The base fee for this tournament will be $120 per team. Discounts for the following things will be offered:

$5 off for each buzzer a team brings
$10 for each staffer a team brings (that staffer also gets free lunch)
$10 for every 200 miles a team travels, one way, as determined by Google maps

You will need to pay the quizbowl team at Rock Bridge HS.

Rock Bridge's street address is 4303 S Providence Rd., Columbia, MO, 65203. We will be meeting at 8:30 AM in the media center, and starting games at 9.

To register, please email [email protected], and let me know how many teams you will be bringing, and what discounts you will be claiming.

The following teams are attending:

Drake University
Harding University (2 teams)
Kansas State University
Missouri S&T
Missouri Valley College
Truman State University (2 teams)
University of Illinois
University of Missouri (2 teams)
Washington University (2 teams)

See you all in October!
-Charlie Dees
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
connor811
Kimahri

Post by connor811 »

Hendrix College -- a brand new quiz bowl club I'm starting this year -- is interested in attending. I can't confirm anything yet because, well, our club doesn't quite exist yet.
Connor Thompson

Hendrix College '14
Parkview Magnet High School '10

It's time to bump this thread, now that people are starting to get back into school and teams are starting to meet up again. This will be the first regular difficulty tournament of the year that everyone is eligible for, so if you are in the region you should definitely bring all your players to this, especially because we have plenty of staff to work with to have a large field. I just sent out email announcements, so if you want to register, either respond to the email I set or else send me an email at [email protected].

Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

This mirror is closer than the Michigan mirror and I have a low-mileage lease, so my car will be traveling to this mirror with at least 1 team from Illinois. Some number of working buzzers will be joining me on this journey.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012

ATTN: Wash U people. How many teams are you going to bring?

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

College Park Spyders wrote:ATTN: Wash U people. How many teams are you going to bring?
Two.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

Wash U A and Illinois are playing a 1 game final right now.

Here are prelim stats for your amusement - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

Washington University A beats Illinois 260-75 in the final. Thanks for everybody who came out to play or helped us staff!

Preliminary rounds - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Playoff rounds - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
Complete statistics - http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /complete/

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I'd just like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this set and this tournament. Many thanks to Charlie and everyone at Rock Bridge for hosting. You guys made the tournament enjoyable and run in a timely manner.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!