Chicago Open Logistics - Questions

Old college threads.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Chicago Open Logistics - Questions

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

A few logistical things on CO:

1. Do people want to order pizza (or something else) at lunchtime again? Staff would be free and everyone else would presumably chip in some small amount. This seems pretty popular. If so, is there someone who's levelheaded and good with stuff like this (Susan F: will you be at CO? I'm guessing not?) who would like to be in charge of doing this ordering?

2. As far as moderators, off the top of my head, I have:
R. Westbrook
Miriam Nussbaum
Stevejon Guth
Eric Kwartler
Mike Laudermith
Bryce Durgin
Jonah Greenthal

Am I forgetting some people? Are there a few Chi people who plan to help staff? The max number of moderators we'll need is seven, so I'm not too worried - but let me know, because I don't really have a clear picture of who's staffing now.

3. Buzzers? - I have no idea on this one. Who will be bringing some, how many does Chi have? Again, we'll need seven max.
Update:
Chicago's Judge
Michigan's Buzzers (3)
Rom's buzzers (2)
Greg Peterson Buzzer
Hang buzzers (2)
Chi Knot

4. There are currently fourteen teams on the spreadsheet - with only one open hole for two possible free agents. Are there some people out there who would be game for forming a 15th team? That would be a lot better for scheduling - assuming people don't much care for double byes, or convoluted scheduling wackiness. If some latecomers are out there who would be game for playing Chi Open - I'm willing to waive packet writing requirements, and allow said latecomers to play for free (note: offer only applies to bona fide latecomers - people who really weren't planning on coming or playing, but would be willing to in order to make a more convenient schedule. not valid at all chicago open locations, terms and conditions apply). Really, this offer applies most to any wandering dinosaurs out there who might be looking for a little action.

Discuss.
Last edited by No Rules Westbrook on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
jonah
Auron

Re: Chicago Open Logistics - Questions

Post by jonah »

I can read.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

What building is the tournament in? From what I recall, last year's wasn't terribly far from food that could be eaten within an hour.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I've proposed this many times in the past, and it's never actually happened: but if anyone is interested in a quizbowl wiffleball game I am willing to help organize it. There are outdoor spaces near Harper that UChicago uses for intramural softball and I'm sure we could squat on one of them - perhaps Sunday morning before Trash begins, or during the lunch break of trash, or Friday evening before CO history begins. I can bring a wiffle bat and two wiffle balls of different sizes.

I hear that Dan Passner has filthy stuff.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Rom et al can bring at least 2 buzzers (including 1 belonging to Chicago which they can have back at this tournament).

EDIT: That Chicago buzzer is still in Donald Taylor's care, so I'll only be bringing 1 buzzer.

EDIT X 2: Donald handed me Chicago's buzzer earlier today, so I'm back to bringing 2 buzzers (though one belongs to someone else).
Last edited by Papa's in the House on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

I won't be at CO (though it seems I may be in Chicago), but if you do decide to do some sort of large food order and someone needs told how to do it, I can do that. (It is not difficult.)
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

The War (boxing) wrote:I've proposed this many times in the past, and it's never actually happened: but if anyone is interested in a quizbowl wiffleball game I am willing to help organize it. There are outdoor spaces near Harper that UChicago uses for intramural softball and I'm sure we could squat on one of them - perhaps Sunday morning before Trash begins, or during the lunch break of trash, or Friday evening before CO history begins. I can bring a wiffle bat and two wiffle balls of different sizes.

Yes.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

No Rules Westbrook wrote: 4. There are currently fourteen teams on the spreadsheet - with only one open hole for two possible free agents. Are there some people out there who would be game for forming a 15th team? That would be a lot better for scheduling - assuming people don't much care for double byes, or convoluted scheduling wackiness. If some latecomers are out there who would be game for playing Chi Open - I'm willing to waive packet writing requirements, and allow said latecomers to play for free (note: offer only applies to bona fide latecomers - people who really weren't planning on coming or playing, but would be willing to in order to make a more convenient schedule. not valid at all chicago open locations, terms and conditions apply). Really, this offer applies most to any wandering dinosaurs out there who might be looking for a little action.
One of my WUSTL teammates and I are planning on attending, and our packet is forthcoming.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

I just wanted to write a word about the economic geography of Chicago Open, which also pertains to the spatial distribution of the proposed wiffleball game. There's currently a construction project in Harper Quad that prohibits access to Harper from the north. I assume that it's still accessible in principle from the south (i.e, the 59th St. entrance) Since I've had literally nothing to do with the logistical arrangements, ensuring access to Harper on the date may well have been dealt with by those who have. But I thought everyone else should be aware of this.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I have Chicago's Judge, and will do my best to get it on the Megabus.
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

theMoMA wrote:
The War (boxing) wrote:I've proposed this many times in the past, and it's never actually happened: but if anyone is interested in a quizbowl wiffleball game I am willing to help organize it. There are outdoor spaces near Harper that UChicago uses for intramural softball and I'm sure we could squat on one of them - perhaps Sunday morning before Trash begins, or during the lunch break of trash, or Friday evening before CO history begins. I can bring a wiffle bat and two wiffle balls of different sizes.

Yes.
I too am willing to play if done on Sunday.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

I'd be in if this were before the trash event.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I am absolutely not delaying the trash tournament in any way for whiffle ball, so if you're not in the building in time expect the games to have already started.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Michigan can bring our 3 buzzers.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

No Rules Westbrook wrote: 3. Buzzers? - I have no idea on this one. Who will be bringing some, how many does Chi have? Again, we'll need seven max.
My teams' packet will be in in the next two days, and I'll be bringing a buzzer system.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Mike Bentley wrote:I am absolutely not delaying the trash tournament in any way for whiffle ball, so if you're not in the building in time expect the games to have already started.
But what time do you plan to start?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Two buzzers for us, plus whatever any free agents joining our team might bring.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
jready
Lulu

Post by jready »

In addition to Chicago's Judge that Donald is bringing, we currently have one working buzzer system, a knot. We've ordered more but I don't think they'll be here in time for Chicago Open. I'm unaware of any Chicago staffers beyond Jonah.

The tournament is indeed in Harper again this year. I have been told that the building will still be accessible from the south entrance, and I've also arranged to borrow a key so we can avoid last year's problem of the rooms being locked.
Jimmy Ready
La Jolla High '08, Chicago '12
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

The War (boxing) wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:I am absolutely not delaying the trash tournament in any way for whiffle ball, so if you're not in the building in time expect the games to have already started.
But what time do you plan to start?
Speaking of which, is the Saturday start time known? (Sorry if it's been announced somewhere and I'm missing the obvious.)
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Nah, I haven't yet announced - I'm sure it will be 9:00 AM start time, with teams admonished to arrive by 8:30

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
EncyclopediaCDRom
Wakka

Post by EncyclopediaCDRom »

I recall that Harper Memorial Library lacks vending machines. Like last July, I can bring 4+ cases of complimentary cold canned sodas each day in my Rommobile. Unless preferences for flavors/diets/caffeine are posted here, I will bring examples of soft drinks that sponsor some of my favorite drivers (and who isn't a favorite driver of mine?).

Looking forward to my first NASCAR Brickyard 400 in 2012 (not 2011),
Rom
Rom Masrour
president of RomNation at the races
2011 INDYCAR, 2012 NASCAR, 2012 GRAND-AM, & 2012 American Le Mans Series hard card holder
licensed crew member for car #51 in the 2011-2012 NASCAR Nationwide Series & car #15 in the 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series
"I'm glad you were at Kentucky for Ed's win instead of me."
"Rommy is better known in the paddock than half the drivers are."
"Drivers love Rommy even more than Rommy loves them."
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

I've just been informed that Donald Taylor will not be able to make it to CO - so if there's anyone above, or anyone in general, who could do the stats work in his stead...it would probably be quite useful

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I'm happy to do stats if you'd prefer that to me reading.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

I'm definitely up for doing stats.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Okay, good to know, guys. We may need to impress bye teams into moderating, if there turns out to be a shortage of mods, but we'll see.

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Also, to clarify: I will not be coming, but Chicago's Judge is. Charles Martin has it (hopefully he won't leave it in the English Building again).
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

When and where will the tournament start?
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

I can moderate.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17