Suggest a question source for my tournament

Old college threads.
Kyle
Auron

Suggest a question source for my tournament

Post by Kyle »

One of the problems with the British quizbowl circuit is that we have about five universities with one or two really enthusiastic people who struggle to find teammates to drag along to tournaments. One of the results is that the universities that can consistently get full teams together (Oxford and Manchester in particular, but also Cambridge when they choose to) are totally dominant. Oxford managed to win all four tournaments in the UK last year with teams of entirely different composition. I thought it might be possible to address some of these problems, and have a bit of fun to boot, by having a Deep Bench-format tournament in mid-October. We would have teams representing Oxford, Cambridge, "the North," and "the South." The team from the North would be particularly formidable, since the Manchester guys are really good and so are one person from Keele, one person from York, and a couple people from Sheffield. Manchester has kindly offered to host, so I think this tournament is likely to happen.

But: I need questions. I want the tossups for the singles and doubles to be consistently easy but not trivial and the questions for the quads to be challenging for a group that will probably include the best teams ever assembled in this country. I just emailed Bryan Berend about perhaps borrowing MOO for the quads, which seems like it should be okay as long as Michigan and UVA keep the difficulty somewhat under control. But does anybody have any suggestions for what to do about the singles and doubles matches? We would need six rounds of tossups (we would save space by running the doubles first in six rooms, then the singles next in four rooms). Is there a challenging high school set that would be suitable and available in mid-October? Or should I consider Collegiate Novice? Keep in mind that I am probably likely to play in this tournament, but so are a lot of people with much, much less experience. Any suggestions?
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
nadph
Rikku

Re: Suggest a question source for my tournament

Post by nadph »

Auroni's planned doubles tournament seems to fit current criteria as a possible set and (as a bonus) has no obvious current tournament attached to it, though I am obviously not speaking for him.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

nadph wrote:Auroni's planned doubles tournament seems to fit current criteria as a possible set and (as a bonus) has no obvious current tournament attached to it, though I am obviously not speaking for him.
That might work. But Auroni wasn't totally sure in the other thread when his tournament would be done. And I assume he will at some point actually want to attach it to a real tournament. But I will ask him -- thanks for the suggestion.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

My tournament is probably going to be harder than MOO. You're looking for an easier set, right?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Yeah -- something that somebody totally inexperienced could reasonably be expected to play doubles on. I am thinking a high school set is almost an inevitability, but I'd like it to be substantial enough for people of some experience to play singles on it.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Kyle wrote:Yeah -- something that somebody totally inexperienced could reasonably be expected to play doubles on. I am thinking a high school set is almost an inevitability, but I'd like it to be substantial enough for people of some experience to play singles on it.
ACF Novice?
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)