BARGE at Buffalo - 1/21/12

Old college threads.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

BARGE at Buffalo - 1/21/12

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

The University at Buffalo Academic Bowl team is pleased to announce a mirror of Chris Ray's BARGE tournament, on Saturday, January 21, 2012 (edit), at the University at Buffalo (North Campus). I, Zach Pace ([email protected]), will serve as TD, and I will do my best to run this event efficiently and with organization.

Please consult the following link for more detailed information (and no small amount of debate) about the difficulty of the tournament: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12060

Note that technically, this is a packet-submission tournament, per ACF rules (2 years of experience). However, we are in the process of constructing a complete packet that would absolve our entire field of submission requirements.

Fee Structure:
Base fee: $120
Buzzer Discount: -$5
Moderator Discount: -$10 (must be arranged in advance so we know what the staffing situation is)
Other staffer: -$5
Distance: -$15/200 miles (one-way, via Google Maps)

We will run this tournament as Chris Ray intended, as an open tournament. As such, we will be accepting teams of free agents (in fact, I mean to assemble some locals myself). I will keep a running list of interested teams and free agents (whom, given sufficient intelligence, I plan to group into acceptable teams). However, I do encourage teams with less experience to attend, since the likelihood of many "superteams" being in attendance is unlikely in this region. I hope for 8 teams, but we can certainly accommodate more.

Since this is a January event, there may be schools for whom payment is difficult. I am willing to work with such teams towards an equitable payment scenario. Likewise, if your school is out of session and your team cannot find lodging, we might be able to help with that, too.

Teams (Buzzers/Moderators/Other Staffers): (edited 1/3, 1/12)
Buffalo (1-2 teams, 2+ buzzers, others as necessary)
McMaster (1-2 teams)
Western Ontario (1 team)
CWRU (1 team possible)

Free Agents:
A possible amalgam of Waterloo, McMaster, Ottawa, and local(s)

EDITS:
11/16 - Added distance discount
Last edited by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
mhayes
Rikku

Re: BARGE at Buffalo - 1/21/12

Post by mhayes »

Melkor6000 wrote:However, we are in the process of constructing a complete packet that would absolve our entire field of submission requirements.
It may be too early to ask, but how likely is this to happen? I just want to be sure that we're not scrambling to write a packet in case this plan falls through for whatever reason.

I'd say that we're tentatively interested in this, but I have to discuss it with my teammates.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

I would rate the likelihood of absolving the field from writing as ~95%. Our original packet required some revisions, and those are being undertaken now.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
Captain, Pembroke, NY HS Quiz Team 2008-2010
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Yeah, this field will be exempt from packet-writing duties.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Melikes the idea of this tournament, and it'll be interesting to go to a tournament at a school other than the few that keep hosting in this area. There'll be a team of some sort coming from McMaster; whether or not it's a full team (or more) will need to be determined, but given the status of things around here, that could be awhile.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

UWO might be interested, but that's contingent on several factors (which we discussed at EACN) working in our favour. More as this story develops.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

See above for a slight edit in fee structure, namely the addition of a distance discount which was somehow overlooked in the initial post.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

Bump.

Also, commitments from teams would be really nice. I know it's winter break, but it would be nice to know if one team can confirm that they are attending. You don't need a packet, We'd like to have you guys come. We'll probably be fielding at least one house team, possibly two.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

Quick note on finances:

Due to our financial overlords, we are currently unable to accept Canadian Currency. This includes cheques from Canadian banks. There is an on campus ATM without a surcharge, which we can direct you to if necessary. Alternatively, a purchase order or a cheque from a US based bank is perfectly acceptable. Please plan accordingly.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

It's not a commitment, but I might come to this one. We'll see if I can round up some Ottawa people.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Wakka

bmcke wrote:It's not a commitment, but I might come to this one. We'll see if I can round up some Ottawa people.
We might have a couple free agents coming, so you could join up with them.
Zach Pace
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I've already talked with Jay and should find out whether his teams have any room later this week, but if anybody could use a chem/math guy who is also half-decent at lit/fine arts/social science, then I may be looking for a team to play on for this.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

The chances of a team from my neck of the woods are about 100% as it stands.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

We'll let you guys know our status for this sometime early next week. I'm hopeful that we'll send a team, but I can't say for sure yet until classes start next week.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

We're not going to make this one, but we'll be at the Penn Bowl mirror the following weekend.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

Non-zero chance I am bringing a team of Ottawa high schoolers. Will check in when I know for sure.

EDIT: Just me after all.
Last edited by bmcke on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Due to recent developments, there's actually a very good chance that I'll show up to play solo, or to team up with someone. However, I would need a ride to and from the Greyhound station downtown since Buffalo public transit has funny hours on weekends.

Any takers? I'll compensate you for gas and I'll buy you food.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Wakka

mhayes wrote:Due to recent developments, there's actually a very good chance that I'll show up to play solo, or to team up with someone. However, I would need a ride to and from the Greyhound station downtown since Buffalo public transit has funny hours on weekends.

Any takers? I'll compensate you for gas and I'll buy you food.
There are a couple of options. Shoot me an email: zpace21 <AT> gmail <DOT> com.
Zach Pace
Wakka

I've got a couple of pre-tournament logistical announcements:

Here's how to get to campus for the Canadian folks: http://g.co/maps/y3g2n

We'll be in Talbert Hall, on the first floor (NOT the ground floor--that's a big dining area). Once you get to campus, I recommend parking in Fronczak Lot (on the northwest side of campus, sort of near Governors Residence Hall Complex), which is free on weekends. Park near the east end. To the South, you should see a road and Fronczak Hall, which has an underpass for pedestrians and bicyclists. Cross the road, and go through the underpass. You should then be facing a tan building. Take a left, and then an immediate right. Go in the set of glass doors, and up the curved staircase. Turn left, and you should hear the hullabaloo. We'll be set up in one of the larger rooms on the right. In total, the walk is about 3 minutes. If you go up a hill, you've gone too far, and if you get lost, just ask someone.

I want to get teams finalized around 9, so please arrive between 8:45 and 9. I'm hoping to start rounds at 9:15.

We will settle payments before play begins, and immediately after we finalize teams. Please heed that we can't (edit:spelling) accept Canadian currency (it's not our choice--blame our Student Association). We can issue receipts if you need. I'll tackle institutional teams first, followed by teams that have free agents. I'll try my best to honor team requests, but I ask that you bear with me as I try to figure out a team-schedule combination that actually works.

There's food in the Student Union, which we'll direct you to, but I suggest you either arrive early if you need your morning cuppa-Joe or get your coffee on the way into town, because the Union is a bit of a hike.
Last edited by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Pace
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Melkor6000 wrote:We will settle payments before play begins, and immediately after we finalize teams. Please heed that we can' accept Canadian currency (it's not our choice--blame our Student Association).
I assume this is supposed to read "can't accept Canadian currency."

EDIT: I will be playing with the University of Western Ontario at this event.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey, so we're pretty sure that Mac will be fielding just one team now. We've had some last-minute drop-outs, and our team will most likely be taking on Brendan from Ottawa. As for money, we'll try to pay in full on Sat., but if that's not possible, could we cover the balance next Sat. at Penn Bowl?
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Wakka

Senator_Jay wrote:Hey, so we're pretty sure that Mac will be fielding just one team now. We've had some last-minute drop-outs, and our team will most likely be taking on Brendan from Ottawa. As for money, we'll try to pay in full on Sat., but if that's not possible, could we cover the balance next Sat. at Penn Bowl?
Yeah, that should be fine.
Zach Pace
Wakka

Full stats are at the following site: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/12 ... ll_rounds/

Congratulations to the team of Matt Hayes, Brendan McKendy, Ajaypal Cheema, and Dan Oltmanns, who beat out McMaster in the last game of the triple-round-robin to clinch the tournament title. Jay Misuk led the field in scoring with 61.11 PPG. Thanks to all who attended, and to Chris Ray for a set of challenging packets.

EDIT: It seems there were some stat foul-ups, which I'll need some time to sort out. Sit tight in the meantime.
EDIT (AGAIN): I have fixed the issues. The link once again works.
Zach Pace