Seth Teitler Presents: An Intimate Engagement with Trash

Old college threads.
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Re: Seth Teitler Presents: An Intimate Engagement with Trash

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

Does anyone know if Bernadette, Trevor, Jake, or Delano are playing? I can't seem to get in touch with them and that 16th sure would make things nice.

Also, while I'm pretty sure I can run the tournament with what we have for staff and buzzers, a few more of each could really speed things up. If you're playing history and want to make sure you get your entire tournament in, you could help your own cause by staffing this.
Rachel
UChicago 09
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

Cheynem wrote:
merv1618 wrote:
Colby Burnett wrote:We've got another spot open on my squad - if anyone wants in, just ask me.
Translation: who wants to win CO trash?
I have lived my life with one rule and one rule only: to be THE MAN, you have to BEAT the man. And on July 21, 2013, my team and I will be THE MAN at CO Trash.

It's true. It's damn true.
Submitting "The Sour and the Gory" as a possible future trash team name.
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Bernadette and Trevor are still playing, and were interested in playing together, as far as I know.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:Does anyone know if Bernadette, Trevor, Jake, or Delano are playing?
Jake isn't going to Chicago this weekend.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

I'm assigning Trevor, Bernadette, and Gordon to a 16th team for the moment so as to have a 16th team. Both the Peterson/Fischer/Koenig and Byrne/Lyle/Martin teams need a fourth, as does Passner/Burte/Mukherjee. I'm currently waiting to hear about the possibility that Lorin might be able to bring some interested friends which would probably finish the whole field, in which case I'd probably move Trevor, Bernadette, and Gordon to one of the short handed teams so that everyone can play with some one they know.
Rachel
UChicago 09
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Joe Hansen may want to play with us. Will update when positive.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

PISTOL SHOOTING FOR LADIES wrote:Joe Hansen may want to play with us. Will update when positive.
That would make four and make me very happy. Thanks, Bernadette.
Rachel
UChicago 09
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:I'm assigning Trevor, Bernadette, and Gordon to a 16th team for the moment so as to have a 16th team. Both the Peterson/Fischer/Koenig and Byrne/Lyle/Martin teams need a fourth, as does Passner/Burte/Mukherjee. I'm currently waiting to hear about the possibility that Lorin might be able to bring some interested friends which would probably finish the whole field, in which case I'd probably move Trevor, Bernadette, and Gordon to one of the short handed teams so that everyone can play with some one they know.
Thanks for handling this!
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Joe has confirmed his desire to play with this team.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

I would like to advise all the staffers who are staffing this tournament to bring their laptops tomorrow morning. Packets will be sent via email one round at a time.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Habitat_Against_Humanity wrote:I would like to advise all the staffers who are staffing this tournament to bring their laptops tomorrow morning. Packets will be sent via email one round at a time.
I guess they won't be done through email. USB will be the mode of disbursement. I have only two or three, so if have one and have room in your pocket, I could certainly use it.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

We were able to access the building and rooms this morning before 8 AM, so we will do so again tomorrow for STP. Since all the buzzers are already set up, THE TOURNAMENT BEGINS AT 8AM. Please arrive promptly.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Sorry to leave my teammates in the lurch, but I have to withdraw.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

The tournament was fully finished by 2:30, which I'm really happy with. The Marnold Believers beat Ada or Menardor on a protest which resulted in a replacement question to take first. If starts aren't already up, they will be so shortly. So, some thanks:

Thanks to Joe Su for doing 20 !!! rounds worth of stats today for both trash and history. That's some intense stuff.
Thanks to folks playing trash for showing up more or less universally on time; I believe all rooms had started by 8:20.
Thanks to Staffers: Marshall, John Lawrence, Jeff Hoppes, Joey Montoya, Ahmad Ragab, Kurtis Droge, and anyone else that I'm sure I'm forgetting at the moment.
Thanks to Brian McNamara who lost a whole ton of sleep assembling packets. If you're reading this; go to bed.
Thanks to David for overseeing this and taking time out of bar-studying-for time to complete this.

I'm sure a discussion forum will be set up by one of us shortly; until then don't discuss anything here. We anticipate at least one mirror, so wait to get to the forum to comment.

Nolan
Rachel
UChicago 09
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Thanks to all the writers for a fun tournament, and good luck to David on the VA bar.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

I wish it was the VA Bar instead of the DE bar (Except for that whole wear a suit thing).

A few thanks:
Thanks to Seth Teitler for letting us use his name. I hope this tournament appropriately honored you.
Thanks to everyone who played, I hope we were able to provide an enjoyable experience for all of you.
Thanks to the people who staffed. I know there was significant pressure to get this tournament run efficiently, and it sounds like you guys did a great job.
Thanks to Tommy Casalaspi, Michael Arnold, Evan Nagler and Tejas Raje, who all contributed freelance questions.
Thanks to everyone who playtested. The advice you provided really improved the set.
Thanks to Ian Lenhoff and Tejas Raje, who read and commented on many questions. Your help was much appreciated.
Thanks to Nolan and Brian, who both did a great job writing and helping make sure this tournament happened.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Thanks to everyone involved in writing and running this tournament -- the set was great and the event was exceptionally well run.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

I'd like to offer my voice to the chorus of thank yous. First and foremost, thanks to both Nolan and David, who saw fit to include a Canadian they didn't know in the writing and editing of this tournament, which is played during one of quizbowl's landmark annual events. I hope it was well-received (so far, the buzz seems good), and I would be eager to hear any criticism or feedback. Perhaps a private forum, as I know we have some delayed mirrors in the works.

I'd like to echo David's thanks to our playesters; in particular I recollect of Nathan Weiser, Ian Lenhoff, Tejas Raje, Matt Hayes, Evan Nagler and Susan Ferrari, although I'm probably forgetting some others. Thanks also to Susan and Evan for showing me how to set up a private channel on the IRC!

I'd like to offer my profound apologies to Tejas and Evan; I did not know they had contributed freelance questions, and so in my whimsical attempt to have a bit of fun with the info on writers for the tournament, I thanked Michael Arnold and Tommy Casalaspi for their "generous participation" in each of our packets, but did not include Tejas and Evan.

With that, I'm off to bed, as I have been awake for nearly forty one consecutive hours, with almost all of them spent either on the production of this tournament or with my summer job. Thanks again, everyone!
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Some non specific feedback before the private forum:

In general, a decent set. Tossup choices were fine and generally tried to avoid some awful trash niches. There were some really creative ways to ask for things.

Here's three things that I felt this tournament could have improved on:

1. Inconsistent bonuses. Sometimes this set gave you a bonus that was fairly basic, something along the lines of, I dunno, the trash you would see at TERP or some other "easy" trash tournament. Sometimes you got a bonus written in the Marshall Steinbaumian manner in which the writer disdained all easy parts. This got a bit annoying in close games in which bonus roulette did play a difference.

2. Way, way, waaay too many tossups and bonus parts asking for "this actor." I think I'm one of the better "actor" players in trash and I don't like these questions. They're tedious and basically rely on "do you remember this person's filmography?"

3. A weird skewing old. By this I don't mean the whole tournament, but it seemed like for a tournament ostensibly supposed to skew recent, it did skew old for large chunks of the questions. I don't know how to explain this really and maybe it was just me.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

This tournament and the CO main event made up a good weekend for emerging from dormancy for. Lots of thanks all around.

I had to leave campus before such time as I found a good way to pay my outstanding entry fee. I'll be in contact about how to pay up from home instead.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

Cheynem wrote:Some non specific feedback before the private forum:

In general, a decent set. Tossup choices were fine and generally tried to avoid some awful trash niches. There were some really creative ways to ask for things.

Here's three things that I felt this tournament could have improved on:

1. Inconsistent bonuses. Sometimes this set gave you a bonus that was fairly basic, something along the lines of, I dunno, the trash you would see at TERP or some other "easy" trash tournament. Sometimes you got a bonus written in the Marshall Steinbaumian manner in which the writer disdained all easy parts. This got a bit annoying in close games in which bonus roulette did play a difference.

2. Way, way, waaay too many tossups and bonus parts asking for "this actor." I think I'm one of the better "actor" players in trash and I don't like these questions. They're tedious and basically rely on "do you remember this person's filmography?"

3. A weird skewing old. By this I don't mean the whole tournament, but it seemed like for a tournament ostensibly supposed to skew recent, it did skew old for large chunks of the questions. I don't know how to explain this really and maybe it was just me.
I can take the blame for #2. As a person who's never wrote or edited on the scale that I did for this tournament (roughly 150 and 200 questions for each respective task) I wanted to be cautious in what I did. I think these types of questions are fairly cautious and overall easier for an editor to appraise.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

This was a very fun tournament, thank you to the writers and editors. I'll have more detailed things to say when the private discussion is set up.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Looking back, I guess the "skewing old" thing may be more related to just how some packets were clumped together. It wasn't grossly skewed at all, so i want to emphasize that.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

The Friar wrote:This tournament and the CO main event made up a good weekend for emerging from dormancy for. Lots of thanks all around.

I had to leave campus before such time as I found a good way to pay my outstanding entry fee. I'll be in contact about how to pay up from home instead.
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. You've ensured a near-perfect collection rate

EDIT: Actually, a perfect collection rate. Everything is good. 100% payment achieved.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

A private discussion forum has been set up under CO Trash 2013 Discussion. I will be approving members.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider