IFT @ Illinois (10/13/12)

Old college threads.
touchpack
Rikku

IFT @ Illinois (10/13/12)

Post by touchpack »

This is the Illinois site of the Illinois Fall Tournament, a housewrite done by myself, Austin Listerud, and Ike Jose. Jonathan Magin will be overseeing the project and helping with things such as difficulty control. Difficulty will be "easy." (ACF Fall and MUT from the past few years are a good reference for the difficulty that we're shooting for)

Eligibility:
(stolen from Ike's announcement)
You can play this tournament as long as you are affiliated with a school in the ACF sense of the term. If you are unsure of your eligibility status, you should contact us or your TD. Also, there will be no open teams allowed at this tournament, no matter what the reason. Chimera or scab teams are only allowed for the purposes of filling out a field. People who need to play “unaffiliated” for whatever reason should contact us to resolve any issues. Exceptions might be made if there is some scenario I haven't envisioned here, but that's not likely. Play with your own schools people!

Logistics:
This tournament will be held in David Kinley Hall, which is located near the intersection of 6th and Gregory, as noted here. A full interactive map of campus can be found here, just scroll a bit south to see the general area. There is a parking lot just west of the Main Library (right across the street from DKH)--that lot is denoted as E3 on this map.

Registration will begin at 8:15 a.m. I want every team to be here by 8:50 a.m. at the absolute latest, so we can start at 9 a.m.

Fee Structure:
Base fee: $120
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working system (we should all know what constitutes "working")
Staffer discount: -$20 per qualified* staffer (also, free pizza for the staffer)
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way (as determined by Google Maps)
Late payment fee: +$20**

*qualified means the staffer must be familiar with the rules, able to speak clearly, and able to complete a round of 20/20 within 35 minutes.
**Only applies once per school. If your school cannot pay before the day of or on the day of the tournament, this fee will be applied. If payment will take extra time for you (due to school administrative reasons or other reasons), PLEASE e-mail me so we can work things out.

Contact Information
If you plan on attending this tournament, please e-mail me at busse4 AT illinois.edu. Please in the e-mail include the number of teams you will be sending, what discounts you will be eligible for, and a phone number at which a member of your team can be contacted on the day of the tournament. Posting in this thread is NOT sufficient for signing up. I encourage teams to sign up early as to not get shafted by a potential field cap. Additionally, if you sign up and can't make it, please let me know so that I can re-open the field to other teams.

Field Closed at 24/24
Northwestern x3
Purdue x1
Eureka x1
UIC x1
Jefferson x2
Lawrence x1
Napoleon Bonus Part University x1
Pallet Town Unversity x1
MSU x2
Chicago x6
Central Michigan x1
WUSTL x1
Michigan x3

Total: 24
Last edited by touchpack on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: IFT @ Illinois (10/6/12)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

So, it seems like we are not doing a very good job of managing schedules if this, Collegiate Novice, and QUARK are happening all, like, right at the same time. Should perhaps we revisit this issue and move one tournament to some other time?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Selfish request: Would it be possible to move this back later so that Chicago can gather a decent number of teams. Classes start on the first of October for us.
Kay, Chicago.
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

Kooikerhondje wrote:Selfish request: Would it be possible to move this back later so that Chicago can gather a decent number of teams. Classes start on the first of October for us.
We have a high school tournament planned for 10/13. In the subsequent weeks, Penn-ance, ACF Fall, Delta Burke, and Minnesota Open are scheduled to happen. Currently, Penn-ance is slated for either 10/20 or 10/27. A midwest mirror for Penn-ance has not been announced so we cannot speculate which of those weekends would be open.

The only "easy" solution is to flip the dates of our high school tournament and IFT. Generally speaking, altering plans to accommodate one school is not good tournament practice. But when we consider how UChicago could impact the tournament's field, we may have to reconsider our options.

Ike, Billy, and I will discuss this.
Austin
Illinois
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Other side of the personal-interest coin: It's pretty unfair to suddenly move this when we went ahead and requested a mirror, got one, and did the room reservations, which involve paying money and are a hassle to redo, for the original date.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

RyuAqua wrote:Other side of the personal-interest coin: It's pretty unfair to suddenly move this when we went ahead and requested a mirror, got one, and did the room reservations, which involve paying money and are a hassle to redo, for the original date.
Isn't the general policy (wrt scheduling reforms) to allow a tournament to occur over two consecutive weekends in different parts of the country? I don't see anything incompatible here.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

SirT wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:Other side of the personal-interest coin: It's pretty unfair to suddenly move this when we went ahead and requested a mirror, got one, and did the room reservations, which involve paying money and are a hassle to redo, for the original date.
Isn't the general policy (wrt scheduling reforms) to allow a tournament to occur over two consecutive weekends in different parts of the country? I don't see anything incompatible here.
To be clear, the tournament is still scheduled for 10/6/12. Any internal discussions among UIUC members regarding a date-change will only apply to the University of Illinois mirror. Even then, such a change should not be viewed as imminent.
Austin
Illinois
touchpack
Rikku

Re: IFT @ Illinois (10/13/12)

Post by touchpack »

Bumping for field + location update.
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
mr_basque
Lulu

Post by mr_basque »

Just confirming the date for this tournament. It is in fact 10/13 correct? Is there an email for the TD? I have a question related to a team that would like to enter.
John B.
ACE staff member
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

mr_basque wrote:Just confirming the date for this tournament. It is in fact 10/13 correct? Is there an email for the TD? I have a question related to a team that would like to enter.
The tournament is in fact on 10/13, and I am the TD. My e-mail is [email protected]
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Bumping due to logistics update and to note that the field is now closed.
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

How'd this go?
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Michigan A won. In no particular order, WUSTL, us, Chicago A, Chicago B, Chicago C, and two teams of high schoolers playing under pseudonyms also were in the top bracket.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Smuttynose Island wrote:How'd this go?
Michigan A won, no finals needed. I think Chicago B came in second?

I'd like to thank the entire Illinois team for running a smooth and enjoyable tournament.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
Wackford Squeers
Wakka

Post by Wackford Squeers »

Chicago B and WUSTL tied for second.
Ben Chametzky
University of Chicago, 2016
Carbondale Community High School, 2012
IHSSBCA High School Liaison 2011-2012
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Sorry for the delay, one of the games wasn't entered into the stats and I had wait for Tom to e-mail me the electronic scoresheet.

Stats can be found here
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF