Welcome to the 2013 ICT Discussion

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Welcome to the 2013 ICT Discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

This private forum is for question-specific discussion of the 2013 NAQT ICT.

Thanks to everyone who helped finish the set, especially Seth Teitler, Andrew Yaphe, and Kyle Haddad-Fonda.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
setht
Auron

Re: Welcome to the 2013 ICT Discussion

Post by setht »

I want to add my thanks to Andrew Yaphe, who wrote and subject edited a plurality of the questions, and did the heavy lifting on the early set editing; Kyle Haddad-Fonda, who I think did a great job in his first time set editing at this level; Selene Koo, who helped me with several chunks of set editing; Jeff Hoppes, who helped Kyle and me with various chunks of set editing; Jonah Greenthal and Emily Pike, who read through the set and caught several typos/feng shui issues/other things to fix. I'd also like to thank all the subject editors and writers for their work. I'll give some specific numbers for circuit-contributed questions later when I have time to assemble them, but a number of people stepped up and wrote many questions, which helped immensely. I hope I didn't miss anyone; my apologies if I did.

That's all for DI. For DII, I know that R. was the head editor on the set, but I don't have a clear idea of who all did what, so hopefully someone who knows better can take care of thanking the appropriate people.

I'm not sure whether to be gratified at or frightened by the lack of discussion thus far--I'm told a lot of people have signed up for this forum. Perhaps people are still recuperating from traveling, or dealing with taxes, or struggling to come to grips with a world in which Ninurta can be a tossup answer. Whatever the case, I'm going to start some more specific threads and hope that feedback will trickle in. Of course feedback can also be sent privately to [email protected].

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

setht wrote:That's all for DI. For DII, I know that R. was the head editor on the set, but I don't have a clear idea of who all did what, so hopefully someone who knows better can take care of thanking the appropriate people.
Since R. is not likely to actually post in here, I'm going to guess that he would support the thanking of the following people who, in addition to himself, did significant set editing for the Division II set: Craig Barker, Juliana Froggatt, me, Larissa Kelly, and Bill Tressler. Also, presumably, the subject editors and writers, who are too numerous to list in this margin.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

setht wrote:I'm not sure whether to be gratified at or frightened by the lack of discussion thus far--I'm told a lot of people have signed up for this forum. Perhaps people are still recuperating from traveling, or dealing with taxes, or struggling to come to grips with a world in which Ninurta can be a tossup answer.
It's partly because there's no pdf available of the set. I understand why NAQT doesn't want to release one (esp if you're going to use the set for other mirrors), but it would make commenting a lot easier.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
setht wrote:I'm not sure whether to be gratified at or frightened by the lack of discussion thus far--I'm told a lot of people have signed up for this forum. Perhaps people are still recuperating from traveling, or dealing with taxes, or struggling to come to grips with a world in which Ninurta can be a tossup answer.
It's partly because there's no pdf available of the set. I understand why NAQT doesn't want to release one (esp if you're going to use the set for other mirrors), but it would make commenting a lot easier.
I want to stress how much I agree with Eric about this point, and wish NAQT would consider rethinking this policy. By refusing to send out the questions you essentially restrict discussion to bickering over single questions and hazy general remarks based on half-remembered impressions of the set. Meaningful discussion can occur only accidentally.

Moreover, it is unbelievably ironic that NAQT enforces post-tournament question security more strictly than pre-tournament security.

Apparently, players can only see ICT questions before the tournament is played.
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE