Missouri Open at Virginia Tech : 7/6/13

Old college threads.
fett0001
Tidus

Missouri Open at Virginia Tech : 7/6/13

Post by fett0001 »

Virginia Tech will be hosting a mirror of Missouri Open.

Date:
7/6/13

TBD. Virginia Tech charges for rooms so we're hoping to mirror at a local-ish highschool. If not, or if we get enough teams to justify it early enough, we'll be hosting at Squires Student Center.

Cost:
$80 per team.
$10 discount for working buzzers. Limit 2.
$10 discount for full time staffers. Limit 3.
$5 discount per person traveling more than 200 miles one way. Limit 2.
Minimum fee of $30.

I can provide invoices in advance, but I want payment by the day of, or there's a $20 late fee.

I'm accepting free agent registrations as well, @ $20 per player.

Main Site: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14224

To register, or if you have questions, email me at [email protected].

I'm gonna set a final field cap when I settle on a location, but it's at least 10 teams.
Last edited by fett0001 on Wed May 29, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Missouri Open at Virginia Tech : 7/6/13

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Current teams for this site can be found here. Please put your name down on the "Free Agents" list if you're interested in playing but don't have a team yet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... RWGc#gid=0
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

fett0001 wrote: $10 discounts for buzzers, staffers, or 200 mi of one way travel. $30 minimum.
Mike,

I think you meant $30 maximum?
Brian Mongilio
Virginia Tech '16, Treasurer 2011-Present
Parkersburg South (WV) '11
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

Huntur wrote:
fett0001 wrote: $10 discounts for buzzers, staffers, or 200 mi of one way travel. $30 minimum.
Mike,

I think you meant $30 maximum?
I will edit to clairify, though I didn't mean a maximum of $30.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

Would people be interested in some side events? Possibly CAHOOTS, TAMIL, or both?
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

fett0001 wrote:Would people be interested in some side events? Possibly CAHOOTS, TAMIL, or both?
I'd be interested in playing Illinois' Pokemon Packets, if I don't end up playing those alongside Pokemon Master Nick Jensen at the online CAHOOTS mirror (assuming that actually happens).
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Pokemon packets sound incredibly appealing to me.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

I would be all for that Pokemon packet.
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

fett0001 wrote:Would people be interested in some side events? Possibly CAHOOTS, TAMIL, or both?
Shameless self-promotion: TAMIL has gotten excellent reviews at its three mirrors so far!
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

I could do CAHOOTS, TAMIL, or that hip-hop tournament.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Are there any updates on the logistics of this tournament, i.e. where it will be taking place?

Also, I think it would make sense to post this in the high school tournament announcements as well - ACF Fall is definitely playable by high schoolers, and there's a ton of high school talent in the DMV that may not be aware of this tournament. At the very least there should be a stronger effort to reach out and contact more people about this tournament - I don't want it to just be a 5-6 team double round robin. Given how many free agents there are right now on the spreadsheet (assuming they all show up) people could basically show up and have a team at the ready.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

1) Perhaps teams that aren't looking for teammates are not entering themselves on the team formation spreadsheet tool because, well, they don't need to find any teammates. I only kept my team on there once I had a full team so people would know that I already had teammates.

2) My understanding is that this tournament does not, and should not, have an announcement in the high school section of the boards because it isn't a fucking high school tournament. It is an open tournament, so high schoolers are obviously welcome to play, but it is not a high school tournament. If you want to say, send a link to this announcement to a bunch of high schoolers and other members of the fringe quizbowl crowd to get more teams that's totally cool and stuff.

And yeah free agents should at some point actually get in touch with each other and congeal together to form 2-3 more teams, but this tournament is still five weeks from this weekend, so they have plenty of time to do just that!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

We currently have 8 teams registered with a cap of 12 teams.

As a reminder, if you have not already, email Mike Hundley at [email protected] to confirm you are registered. If you have not sent him an email, you are NOT registered.

Free agents are encouraged to form teams. Alternatively, you can send an email to register as a free agent.
Brian Mongilio
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

An Update on the Location

We've currently got reservations for rooms at both Virginia Tech and Cave Spring High School in Roanoke. There are some pros and cons of both locations that we're currently considering. This is mostly a for-your-information post, but I'm open to listening to thoughts, comments, concerns, etc. with either location.

The earliest the rooms at Virginia Tech open is 10:30 AM. So we'd start reading round 1 promptly at 10:30 and registration would start at 10:00. Additionally, we'd have to have all rounds finished by 6:00 PM when the building closes. There's a time crunch here that causes the biggest concern with using Tech: the possibility of teams only hearing 9-10 rounds of the set.

At Cave Spring, we've got significantly less control over the rooms (as of this writing). We do not currently have the keys and we don't believe we can be given them directly from the front office. The advantage here being that we can start earlier and should be able to guarantee more rounds of play.

If there's a significant agreement that 9-10 rounds is acceptable, then we'll use Tech as our first choice.

If you're in a crunch for booking hotels, feel free to contact me ([email protected]) or Mike ([email protected]) and we'll try to figure out what we can do to help while we figure this out.

EDIT: Words.
Brian Mongilio
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Huntur wrote:
If you're in a crunch for booking hotels, feel free to contact me ([email protected]) or Mike ([email protected]) and we'll try to figure out what we can do to help while we figure this out.
Most hotels will allow you to make a reservation and then cancel up to like noon on the day of check in (varies by hotel) as long as it's not a super-special rate given for guaranteeing your stay or other circumstances, so you can reserve in both locations and then cancel one of the reservations.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Golran wrote:
Huntur wrote:
Most hotels will allow you to make a reservation and then cancel up to like noon on the day of check in (varies by hotel) as long as it's not a super-special rate given for guaranteeing your stay or other circumstances, so you can reserve in both locations and then cancel one of the reservations.
As a HOTEL EMPLOYEE, I'd advise you to call for cancellations no later than a day before your check-in date, just to be safe. Also, as Ian alluded, make sure you're not booking advance-purchase or other non-refundable types of reservations, if you want to be able to cancel.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Huntur wrote:An Update on the Location

We've currently got reservations for rooms at both Virginia Tech and Cave Spring High School in Roanoke. There are some pros and cons of both locations that we're currently considering. This is mostly a for-your-information post, but I'm open to listening to thoughts, comments, concerns, etc. with either location.

The earliest the rooms at Virginia Tech open is 10:30 AM. So we'd start reading round 1 promptly at 10:30 and registration would start at 10:00. Additionally, we'd have to have all rounds finished by 6:00 PM when the building closes. There's a time crunch here that causes the biggest concern with using Tech: the possibility of teams only hearing 9-10 rounds of the set.

At Cave Spring, we've got significantly less control over the rooms (as of this writing). We do not currently have the keys and we don't believe we can be given them directly from the front office. The advantage here being that we can start earlier and should be able to guarantee more rounds of play.

If there's a significant agreement that 9-10 rounds is acceptable, then we'll use Tech as our first choice.

EDIT: Words.
Any word on this?
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

TN team would prefer Virginia Tech as the location I believe (in case you want our opinions)
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'd prefer Cave Spring, as only driving to Roanoke shaves about half an hour off my driving time. That said, I'll do whichever.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

I would prefer VT, due to the later start time.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Longstride
Lulu

Post by Longstride »

Do we know when we'll know where it'll be?
Venu Katta
Clover Hill High School '13
College of William & Mary '17

"Having hit a wall, the next logical step is to not bang our heads against it." - Stephen Harper
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

We'll have a final announcement as to location this evening, at our practice.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

The tournament will be at Squires Student Center, on the Virginia Tech Campus. We recommend you park along the Alumni Mall.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

Scheduling:

Registration will begin at 10:00 AM in the Squires second floor lobby, outside of Haymarket Theatre. (The entrance nearest the Alumni Mall bus stop.)

Play will start at 10:30. If you are not here, we will start without you.

Lunch:
Due to scheduling limitations, we will be holding lunch after Round 5.
Please eat before the tournament.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

We have capped the field at 12.

Currently we have 2 teams on our waitlist:
"louisville B"
"Buck Marley and the Space Frog Incident"

To expand the field, we would need to find additional competent moderators and a practical schedule with our rooms. I'm working on the latter, but finding staffers this late in the game will be a challenge.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Will the game rooms be accessible for those of us with physical disabilities?
Jesse Bennett
University School of Nashville (TN) '14
Vanderbilt University '19
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

All game rooms should be fully accessible by all participating. If you'd like to discuss any possible concerns, I'd encourage you to email Mike or myself so we can make sure necessary accommodations are made.
Brian Mongilio
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

We are in the middle of round 3 of a 10-team round-robin. Stats are being updated here.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

Congratulations to the "Jedi Knights Who Say Ni", who also went undefeated on the day, for taking home first place after winning out the first game in their advantage final over "Get This... Cheated... Mmmm".

The "Jedi Knights Who Say Ni" consisted of:
Cody Voight
Evan Adams
Venu Katta
Nate Boughner

I'd like to think this tournament was a great success. We had no major mishaps and I think everybody enjoyed their prizes. Thanks everybody for coming out and playing.

And I want to give a special thank you to Andrew Feist and Chuck Pearson for coming out to staff for us. We'd have been in a lot of hot water without both of you.

Full stats can be found here (including finals): http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ull_stats/

If you've got any questions, comments, or concerns about the tournament, I'd love to hear from you. Please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Brian Mongilio