ACUI/NAQT partnership comes to an end

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

ACUI/NAQT partnership comes to an end

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT's most recent contract with the Association of College Unions International (ACUI) came to an end on June 30, 2013, and both parties have agreed not to sign another extension.

NAQT wishes the ACUI Academic Challenge committee good luck with its future endeavors, but also hopes that member schools that have enjoyed quiz bowl and NAQT's intramural and sectional question sets will continue to participate in its events.

In light of the partnership's expiration, NAQT plans to revise the structure of its collegiate programs; those changes will be in place and announced by the start of the next competition year (September 1).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: ACUI/NAQT partnership comes to an end

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I'd like to hear a bit more of a postmortem on this attempted partnership, from the community if not from NAQT. It seemed to me as though this partnership didn't have much real positive effect on the growth of quizbowl at all, because top-down attempts at new team formation really don't seem to work and it arbitrarily limited the ability of coherent quizbowl circuits to set their own SCT sites. Are there people who felt like ACUI helped them or their regions? Can someone with more direct experience speak to what went wrong or what we more broadly might be able to learn from this attempt?

Also, I'm wondering how drastic these changes are going to be; while I know you want to wait to make the announcement until later, can we get some advance warning if something really game-changing such as "oh hey, we're reviving the fall NAQT tournament" happens and we have to think about big logistics/scheduling adjustments?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

This means we can go get the NCAA on board, right?
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

I know I'm a little late, but I'd like to second what Matt said. To get funding from the school for tournaments, we have to get paperwork in 8 weeks in advance, and we can only get funding for two tournaments. If there were big changes, especially if it's in the early part of the school year or involving money, then we'd appreciate a heads up.

For reference sake, does anyone know what the district maps looked like before the partnership, in like 2007 or so. Vanderbilt and Tulane played in the southeast, so it looked like ours was a lot bigger.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Before the partnership, there were no district maps, i.e. there was no geographic restriction on where teams played at SCT. On some occasions, a university sent teams to multiple SCTs and that was kosher.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
naqt.com wrote: In light of the partnership's expiration, NAQT plans to revise the structure of its collegiate programs; those changes will be in place and announced by the start of the next competition year (September 1).
Forgive me if I missed them, but have these changes been announced?
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Important Bird Area

We have not; I'll post here when we're ready to make an announcement.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

cdcarter wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:
naqt.com wrote: In light of the partnership's expiration, NAQT plans to revise the structure of its collegiate programs; those changes will be in place and announced by the start of the next competition year (September 1).
Forgive me if I missed them, but have these changes been announced?
These policy changes are now public; our apologies for the delay in posting.
naqt.com wrote:There is no longer a fixed set of "Regions" that, in theory, have exactly one SCT each. NAQT's host call has informally identified a number of regions, but that has been done to serve as a guide to the community as to the number and density of SCTs that NAQT would like to see. NAQT may award zero, one, or more Sectionals in each region (and the regions' boundaries are intentionally vague, to maximize flexibility).

Hosts will be responsible for invoicing teams and collecting money from them. This means that each host will need to send a check to NAQT covering the licensing fee (rather than receiving a check from NAQT for all monies in excess of the licensing fee).

Schools may attend any SCT that they wish (regardless of distance), but may only send teams to a single SCT (without prior permission from NAQT).

The number of Division II ICT bids reserved for teams from the Community College Championship Tournament (CCCT) has been decreased from six to four.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF