2014 NAQT SCT East: 2-8-2014 at RPI

Old college threads.
thebaker94
Lulu

2014 NAQT SCT East: 2-8-2014 at RPI

Post by thebaker94 »

RPI will be hosting the NAQT SCT for the East region on Saturday, February 8, 2014. I would like to start the tournament at 9 AM.

Fee Structure:
$120 for the first team from a school; $100 for each subsequent team.
Discounts:
-$10 per buzzer system
-$5 per timer
-$30 per approved moderator
-$20 per team "new school" discount (for schools that have never attended an NAQT tournament)
-$10 "distance" discount: we will offer a $10 discount for every 200 miles a team travels to our tournament, one way.

You can register for Sectionals here:
http://www.naqt.com/sct/hosts.jsp?year_code=2013

Keep in mind that online registration will close Monday, February 3rd. If the deadline passes and you haven't registered yet, please get in touch with me personally.

Payments will be due the day of the tournament. Please render payments in cash, if at all possible.

Nearby hotels include the Hilton Garden Inn, which is on Hoosick Street (Route 7), and the Best Western Plus, which is downtown on 4th Street (US Route 4 South). Both are within semi-reasonable walking distance of the RPI campus, but it is certainly easier to drive to campus, especially if the weather is cold. There are several parking lots at RPI that are free to use on the weekends.

There are also many dining options available close to campus, including both fast food and sit-down restaurants. 15th Street and Hoosick Street (Route 7) house a lot of restaurants.

The current field consists of:
Cornell (3 teams, 1 buzzer)
Vassar (2 teams)
Delaware (1 team, 2 buzzers, 1 moderator)
Penn (3 teams, 1 buzzer)
NYU (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
RPI House Team
Running total: 11 teams

The tournament will be held in Russell Sage Laboratories, which is on Sage Avenue, directly across the street from a large parking lot. I have reserved 11 rooms for matches, meaning our field will be tentatively capped at 22 teams.

Please feel free to reply to this post with any questions. If you need to get in touch with me personally, please email me at [email protected], or call/text at 207-651-1018, if you absolutely need to. We look forward to seeing you at our tournament.
Last edited by thebaker94 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eric Baker
President, RPI Quiz Bowl
Portsmouth Christian Academy '11
RPI '15
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Re: 2014 NAQT SCT East: 2-8-2014 at RPI

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

Buffalo will come to this, if a closer site doesn't materialize. You can expect one DI team, and probably 2 or 3 DII teams, along with up to 4 buzzer sets, as needed.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

Stony Brook will most likely show up, D2 only.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Given the new trend in the Northeast circuit I guess we better register 4 months in advance for this to guarantee we're not put on a waitlist. For now I'll say one DI team and one DII team for NYU although that might change...
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
thebaker94
Lulu

Post by thebaker94 »

I've made up a little form that interested teams can fill out, so that we can get an idea of how many teams, buzzers, timers, and moderators we'll have. I need to figure out how many rooms we can get for the tournament, but I think we'll be able to support a good-sized field.
You can fill out the "interested teams" form using this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1WIuSHo ... A/viewform
Eric Baker
President, RPI Quiz Bowl
RPI '15
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Ondes Martenot wrote:Given the new trend in the Northeast circuit I guess we better register 4 months in advance for this to guarantee we're not put on a waitlist. For now I'll say one DI team and one DII team for NYU although that might change...
Note that:

1) Registration is not yet open (when it is, I'll post a link to NAQT's online system).

and

2) We fully intend to also have a New England site so as to avoid the field cap issues mentioned.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

Ondes Martenot wrote:Given the new trend in the Northeast circuit I guess we better register 4 months in advance for this to guarantee we're not put on a waitlist. For now I'll say one DI team and one DII team for NYU although that might change...
As a result of the above poster's unceremonious retirement from Quiz Bowl, I can confirm that NYU is sending one DII team, one buzzer set, and one moderator.
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
thebaker94
Lulu

Post by thebaker94 »

Eric Baker
President, RPI Quiz Bowl
RPI '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

thebaker94 wrote:Prelim Stats (10 rounds):

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
You guys should check the "Enable Divisions" box in your SQBS file and then sort the teams into Division I and Division II that way for easier reading of the statistics (it should be on the very first screen you see upon making the file, or easily maximizable/bring-up-able once a file exists).
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
thebaker94
Lulu

Post by thebaker94 »

Matt, I'll definitely split the stats into divisions. As a first-time user of SQBS, I was unsure of how to do everything, but I'll figure it out.

In the meantime, here are the stats for the entire tournament:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ournament/

Again, I'll sort them into divisions soon, as we work through the software.

We're pleased to announce that our Division I champion is Penn A (12-1), and our Division II champion is NYU (also 12-1). Our Division I Undergrad champion is Vassar A, who defeated Delaware, the other Undergrad team, in a half-game playoff to earn a spot in the top bracket after preliminary play.

Overall, our tournament went pretty smoothly, which was a huge relief to me and the rest of the RPI team, since this was our first time hosting a major tournament. I hope everyone had a good time.
Eric Baker
President, RPI Quiz Bowl
RPI '15
thebaker94
Lulu

Post by thebaker94 »

I now have the stats sorted into divisions (as well as the top and bottom brackets for each division). The report can be found here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

It's worth noting that with 6 teams in each bracket, the preliminary rounds were a double-round-robin, and the re-bracket was split into the top 4 and the bottom 2 in each division. The top 4 then played a round robin, while the bottom 2 simply played against each other three times.
Eric Baker
President, RPI Quiz Bowl
RPI '15