ACF Regionals South @ WKU (February 22, 2014)

Old college threads.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

ACF Regionals South @ WKU (February 22, 2014)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The WKU Academic Competition Club will be hosting ACF Regionals on February 22, 2014 on the campus of Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY. Teams should fill out this form to officially register through ACF. That form is the only way to register for the tournament, although if you want to send us a heads up you're free to post in this thread or send an email to [email protected]

I won't be able to reserve rooms until the last week of January, so more logistical information will be forthcoming then. I'll set a field cap of 16 right now, but that may change depending on rooms and staffers. Speaking of which, I would really like teams to bring moderators if at all possible; we usually get no more than one staffer from other schools at collegiate tournaments, so if you can bring somebody that would be awesome. We also really need you to bring buzzers, since we only have two sets of our own. Discounts are available for teams who bring staffers and/or buzzer systems, and there will be travel discounts for teams who travel more than 200 miles one-way as well. We're right off I-65 about an hour north of Nashville, so our school is fairly easy to get to, and I'll be sure to get information about hotels, food, parking, etc. to teams who request them between now and February.

Packet Submission:
Every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2012 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that, like last year, this requirement also applies to eligible high school teams. Further information can be found at the ACF Packet Submission Guidelines.

The submission schedule for this tournament is: (note that these are Saturdays, not Sundays)
December 21, 2013: -$50
January 4, 2014: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 18, 2014: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
February 1, 2014: +$25
February 8, 2014: +$50
After that: +$10 for each additional day you're late. Teams that are required to submit a packet and do not won't be allowed to play.

Please submit your packet to [email protected]; the actual email with attached packet should include the phrase "[name of school + A/B/etc. if applicable) PACKET" in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be in our inbox by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

Packet Penalties: Be sure to fully read the information contained in the Packet Guidelines. Any cases of incorrect formatting, plagiarism, or prohibited question types will result in hefty fees. The editors also reserve the right to send back any egregious cases to be fixed by the team in question, so be sure to do it right the first time.

Please submit all questions/comments/etc. regarding this event to [email protected], or post them in the thread. Running packet list (with deadlines/penalties) will appear below as soon as packets begin to come in.

Distribution:

The distribution for this tournament varies slightly from the required 24/24 distribution on the ACF website. As you can see below, geography and current events have been consolidated into 1/1 and pop culture has been granted its own 1/1.

Literature 5/5
History 5/5
Science 5/5
Religion, Mythology and Philosophy 3/3
Fine Arts 3/3
Social Science 1/1
Geography/Current Events: 1/1
Pop Culture: 1/0 or 0/1
Any Academic Category: 1/0 or 0/1

I hope to see plenty of schools from the southeast at ACF Regionals in February. If you have any questions, email us at [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: ACF Regionals South @ WKU (February 22, 2014)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Expressed Interest:

Alabama (1-2 teams)
Centre (1-2 teams)
Louisville (2-3 teams)
Vanderbilt (1-2 teams)

I've heard from a lot of people about tentatively coming to ACF Regionals, but I don't think anybody has registered yet. Just a reminder that packet deadlines are coming up and people should probably start making plans to attend.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

The list of teams who have registered for this tournament can be found here.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We are now one month from this year's ACF Regionals at WKU, and the field currently stands at 6 teams:

Alabama A
Centre A
Centre B
Louisville A
Vanderbilt
WKU House

We're also had interest expressed from:

Kentucky

We've still got plenty of room in the field. Any college team in the southeast region (or from wherever, if you'd just like to make a trip to beautiful Bowling Green, KY next month) is strongly encouraged to come and participate in this tournament. Any high school team looking for a challenge to prepare you for nationals, playing at the next level, etc. is also welcome to attend. Please be aware of any packet requirements and if they apply to you, and if they do, that the +$25 deadline is February 1 and +$50 deadline is February 8.

You may register for this tournament at this link. Any questions can be directed to [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field Update (2-19-2014)

Alabama
Centre A
Centre B
Clemson
Florida A
Florida B
Louisville
Kentucky A
Kentucky B
Kentucky C
WKU

Total: 11

We are working on finalizing room reservations, but this tournament will likely be in Cherry Hall. Teams should really bring staffers of any kind: you get a nice discount plus we are really happy to get their help. The hard cap for this is 16 teams due to space limitations, although if the field gets any bigger I'm going to have to start calling favors for more staff. So if you guys are adding more teams, it might be a good idea to bring a scorekeeper or a moderator as well.

I'll send out a detailed logistical email sometime next week. Hope to see you all in Bowling Green on the 22nd.
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Email I sent to teams wrote:If you're getting this email, I have your team registered for this Saturday's ACF Regionals at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, KY. Currently the field is the following, if your information is different I must know ASAP:

Alabama
Centre A
Centre B
Clemson
Florida A
Florida B
Kentucky A
Kentucky B
Kentucky C
Louisville
WKU

Those 11 teams are currently registered and information is kept on this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html If this spreadsheet is inaccurate in any, please let me know. If it says you are bringing buzzers, staffers, and/or laptops but aren't, I must know right away. The same goes if it doesn't say you're bringing any but in actuality you are.

Now let's get down to the business of logistics. This tournament will take place in Cherry Hall on WKU's campus. The address for this building is 1906 College Heights Blvd. Bowling Green, KY 42101, and can be located at the very top of the hill that our campus is located on. There's a statue in front of the building too, if that helps you find it. Parking is available in the College Hill Lot, which is right across College Heights Blvd. from Cherry Hall. The building is #63 on this map, and you can see the lot right across the street: https://www.wku.edu/campusmap.php

Registration will take place from 8:00-8:45 in Cherry Hall. We'll have a brief meeting once everybody gets here, and start the tournament no later than 9 AM. If you run into a delay, please call me at [NOPE]. With 11 teams registered, we'll do a full round robin which should take 11 rounds, and then play finals as necessary. Lunch will come after Round 5 and last roughly an hour, there are a few eating establishments on campus (Subway, Chick Fil A, a cafeteria, etc.) and a few more (Taco Bell, Arby's, Rally's, McDonald's) just off campus at the bottom of the hill. We'll point you in the right direction if you haven't been here before. We'll play 6 more rounds after lunch, and hopefully we'll have the round robin done by 4 or 5. After that we'll give out individual awards and any trophies that don't require a final, and then play finals as needed for the Overall, UG, and D2 titles.

I look forward to seeing you on Saturday, and hopefully we'll be hosting a very fun event for all of you.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

The telephone number that you provided in this thread seems to be invalid! Every time I try to call NOPE I get a funny message.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Ununtiable Twine wrote:The telephone number that you provided in this thread seems to be invalid! Every time I try to call NOPE I get a funny message.
Have you tried dialing a "1" before it?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:
The Ununtiable Twine wrote:The telephone number that you provided in this thread seems to be invalid! Every time I try to call NOPE I get a funny message.
Have you tried dialing a "1" before it?
Hmmm...nope.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Registration tomorrow will be in Cherry Hall from 8:00-8:45. If somehow you don't end up at the right building, a picture of Cherry is now my signature. Enter through the front door (there are like 8 other entrances that will probably be locked) and we'll be meeting in 307A. There will be people around to point you in the right direction. Please be here no later than 8:45 (earlier if possible) so we can get started right away. If you run into any problems, everybody has my contact info.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Stats will be updated periodically throughout the day here.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

11 teams attended ACF Regionals at WKU today. Louisville A and Alabama A finished a full round robin tied at 9-1, and Louisville took a one-game final to win the overall championship. WKU and Centre finished 8-2 each, and WKU won a one-game final to determine the D2 and UG champions. Thanks to all the teams who attended, congratulations to the champions, and thanks to all the staffers who helped us run this great event. Stats can be found here.
Nicholas C
KQBA member