Cane Ridge Revival at Penn (3/1/2014)

Old college threads.
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Cane Ridge Revival at Penn (3/1/2014)

Post by Ras superfamily »

Penn will be hosting the East Coast mirror of the Cane Ridge Revival on March 1st. This is an OPEN tournament with a target difficulty equal to the Minnesota Opens of 2010 and 2011. Much more information about the set can be found at the original announcement at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14653.

This tournament will happen at Williams Hall on our campus in Philadelphia. We will hold registration from 8:15 to 8:45am and start games at 9:00.

Fees:
Base fee: $120 per team
Working buzzer discount: $5 each
Approved moderator discount: $20 each
Travel discount for teams from one school: $10 (at least 200 miles one-way)

Payment:
All teams must pay before the tournament starts. People who have not paid will not be permitted to play this tournament. If your school requires payment to be processed through your financial office, you should contact me as soon as possible. If you need an invoice, email me and I'll send you one.

For now, if you have a team or need to find one, you can use this spreadsheet. The field is capped at 16 teams, so the first 16 teams to self-register by signing up on the spreadsheet will be the first ones allowed into the field.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at [email protected]
Last edited by Ras superfamily on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
wd4gdz
Tidus

Re: Cane Ridge Revival at Penn (3/1/2014)

Post by wd4gdz »

I am going to this tournament (plane ticket and hotel room purchased) and looking for teammates. I am decent at science and fine arts. Contact me if you're interested.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

We're going to be bringing at least one team. I've never been to MO before; what time to these sorts of events usually end? I'm presuming that this will end later than other tournaments I've played at Penn.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Ras superfamily
Wakka

I updated the original post with a link to a team coordination spreadsheet.

Stephen, I believe MO 2011 at Penn ended at 6pm or so, but I don't remember exactly.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Ras superfamily wrote:I updated the original post with a link to a team coordination spreadsheet.

Stephen, I believe MO 2011 at Penn ended at 6pm or so, but I don't remember exactly.
MO 2011 ended at 8:45 PM. I remember; we had to run out of the room to catch a train! Though for teams not in the final, it was probably over around 7:45 PM. (MO 2012 lasted until about 7 or 8 for most teams as well, as I recall.)

Yale will be attending with this site with some number of teams to be determined. Probably 2.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

RyuAqua wrote: MO 2011 ended at 8:45 PM. I remember; we had to run out of the room to catch a train! Though for teams not in the final, it was probably over around 7:45 PM.
Ah, yes! Having to play that second finals packet as if it were an NAQT packet (i.e. "on the clock", vulching tossups after the other team negged and interrupting bonus parts to speed things along) made it one of the most exhilarating matches I've played.

The questions in CRR are a little shorter (hard cap at 8 lines before power-marking), so hopefully you'll manage to finish earlier.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Ras superfamily
Wakka

gamegeek2 wrote:Spreadsheet for team formation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NRWc#gid=0
uh... I made one of these and it's in the original post
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Ras superfamily wrote:
gamegeek2 wrote:Spreadsheet for team formation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... NRWc#gid=0
uh... I made one of these and it's in the original post
Eh, just copy the current info in your sheet over to Will's, add Will's spreadsheet to your Drive, change the link to his, and roll along.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Oh, apologies, that was an oversight on my part. Figured it'd be best to centralize that sort of thing, in case people were deciding between sites.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Ras superfamily
Wakka

The field for this event is capped at 16 teams. We will be playing in Williams Hall as usual for Penn tournaments.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

I added an email column, so teams who signed up on the spreadsheet should add one
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Ras superfamily
Wakka

The field is now closed with 8 teams.
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Courtesy of Penn's own Max Isenberg, these are the stats before breaking for lunch after Round 5: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/

UVA A is 5-0, and Penn, Yale, Maryland A are al 4-1.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Rikku

Prelim stats are up at the link above, UVA is 7-0, Penn, Yale, UMD A are 5-2.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Rikku

Stats are up, courtesy of Penn's own Max Isenberg. Any corrections sent in by PM to me within a week will be made.

Prelims: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Playoff-only games: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
All games: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

UVA went undefeated and cleared the field. Yale, Penn, and Maryland A rounded out the top bracket. Thanks for showing up and hope everyone comes to future tournaments at Penn.

You can join the discussion forum for this tournament by going to your user control panel and applying to join the relevant user group.
Patrick Liao