CLEAR (CAHOOTS-Like Event At Rutgers) - April 19th, 2014

Old college threads.
CWSYuen
Lulu

CLEAR (CAHOOTS-Like Event At Rutgers) - April 19th, 2014

Post by CWSYuen »

Rutgers would like to announce that we are hosting CLEAR (CAHOOTS-Like Event At Rutgers) a guerrilla, themed-packets tournament on April 19th, 2014 (the weekend after ACF Nationals). We apologize for the Easter weekend date.

We have made some updates: This tournament will also be mirrored by the University of Rochester. Updates on packets by Rochester and Rutgers are listed below. We are still looking for packet contributions to and mirrors of this tournament. Please contact me at [email protected] if interested.

Packets: Rutgers has listed the packets we plan to write below. Packet submissions are welcomed and much desired. Submitted packets should be of any length greater than 10 tossups and can have any tossup/bonus composition. Packet writers should indicate the intended length and composition of their packets if they pledge a packet to this cause. While the topics of the submitted packets can be of academic, trash, or hybrid nature, we aim to keep CLEAR as academic as possible and hope that the submissions reflect this fact.

Rutgers Packets (Updated 02/05/14)
-Compsci/Math (aimed for undergrads/grads) (20 Tossups)
-DRAGONS (15/15)
-Organic Chemistry (20 Tossups)
-Ottoman History (15 Tossups, 15 Bonuses)
-Scandanavian Literature (Length Unknown)

Univ. of Rochester Packets (Updated 02/05/14)
-Politics (Length Unknown)
-Comic Books and Graphic Novels (Length Unknown)
-Music (Length Unknown)

Mirrors would be free if the team at the hosting site contribute packets. The following schools are hosting mirrors:

-University of Rochester

This would be an open tournament in which anyone from high school students to retirees may play. The payment is $10 per person. This is mainly meant to be played as a singles tournament. There will be no travel or buzzer discount, but, as we do need buzzers to play non-slapbowl games, we would much appreciate it if you brought a set or two.

Transportation: The grand city of New Brunswick, NJ, where Rutgers University is located, may be reached by public transportation from New York City. One could take the Northeast Corridor line of the NJ Transit trains from Penn Station or the Coach Suburban buses (line 100) from Grand Central Station. One can also access New Brunswick from Philadelphia via a SEPTA train to Trenton and the Northeast Corridor to New Brunswick. You could also drive yourself here if being crammed in confined spaces with total strangers isn't your thing.

Please contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in this tournament.
CWSYuen
BCA 08'-11', Rutgers 11'-Present
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: CLEAR (CAHOOTS-Like Event At Rutgers) - April 19th, 2014

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Is this still happening?
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

EDIT: Never mind, I think the only site I'd be able to attend is the Rutgers one.

I feel like this would work better as a Skype event.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

4/20/2014: Prepare for endless "is the set CLEAR?" puns (and also high people)
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Muriel Axon wrote:4/20/2014: Prepare for endless "is the set CLEAR?" puns (and also high people)
I didn't know you were aspiring to be a Mark Morris impersonator.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
CWSYuen
Lulu

Post by CWSYuen »

Mainly due to lack of interest, CLEAR will not be happening this Saturday. We apologize for the late notice. Rutgers hopes to run this tournament in the Fall 2014 semester on December 6th. This added times should allow us better quality and more packets, but do hope that it will also bring more packets and possibly side tournaments from places outside of our own circle. Clear puns will be had at that point.
CWSYuen
BCA 08'-11', Rutgers 11'-Present
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Hopefully by then I'll have my (tossup-only) myth and hard East Asian history packets done, and I'd gladly let them be used for this. I could also rework my Avatar: The Last Airbender questions so they're of somewhat higher quality and difficulty, if people want to play that.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21