St. Louis Open Date Poll

Old college threads.
Charbroil
Auron

St. Louis Open Date Poll

Post by Charbroil »

As in the past, I'll be directing an easy St. Louis area summer open tournament at Washington University in St. Louis. We're going to have an academic tournament using the IMSANITY set as well as a trash tournament using the Ottawa Hybrid set.

We're currently in the process of finalizing a date, so if you're interested in playing or staffing, please go here to cast your vote as to which date(s) you can make it. I'm going to make an official tournament announcement in a couple of days, so please vote soon!

I look forward to seeing you all at St. Louis Open 2014!
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: St. Louis Open Date Poll

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I would imagine/hope that you're not going to get much interest in a high school tournament among college players. I was hoping to go to St. Louis Open when I was hearing about it from Sean, but now that I know it's IMSAnity, I think I'll pass.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:I would imagine/hope that you're not going to get much interest in a high school tournament among college players.
I'm not quite sure I understand this sentiment. (I say this more as a guy who has enjoyed playing local summer opens than as a guy providing the set.) Certainly, if a full team of college all-stars comes to play this, people could very well be disappointed somehow. But teams could be one or two veteran players in order to try to keep some competitive balance. Or teams could be truly open if everyone understands that there will be imbalance but they are okay with it. I see this as a concern for the TD to manage to maximize enjoyment. Are you worried that this local summer open is no longer legitimate?
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

If the point of St. Louis Open is to be something that bored high schoolers and not particularly good college freshmen do to kill some time on a Saturday in July, then great, but I was having people from Wash U try to convince me to come to it, and Senor Hang is on the college forums to try and find opinions on the best date for it, and when you're in college quizbowl or beyond it's not exactly the most appropriate thing to show up and play a bunch of high school questions. I am disappointed that this is the level the tournament is being run at, and will probably not be attending now (and would imagine the same could be said for a lot of other people).
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Is there a reason it can't be a VCU open mirror?

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

The announcement for this tournament is here.
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

This is occurring as we speak. Statistics for the academic tournament are here; statistics for the hybrid tournament will be here once they are available.
Charles Hang

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Malkot ha Makolet (Itamar Naveh-Benjamin, Jared Lockwood, Adam Sperber) won the academic tournament, going 10-0. Ben Zhang was the top scorer with 152 PPG.

There was a three way tie for 1st in the Hybrid tournament between Unnamed (Ben Zhang, Sean Phillips, Itamar Naveh Benjamin, and Andy Walz), Trochaic Tetrad (Alex Dzurick, Jared Lockwood, Dylan Randolph, Adam Sperber), and Straight Outta Compton Scattering (Jacob O'Rourke and David Dennis). Unnamed won by PPG. Jacob O'Rourke was the top scorer with 70 PPG.

Thank you to everyone who attended! Thank you also to everyone who staffed (Nick Bergeon, Kisan Thakkar, and especially Gordon Arsenoff and Marshall Mullins, who staffed all 15 rounds)! We couldn't have done it without you.
Charles Hang