2014-15 Schedule Discussion

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: 2014-15 Schedule Discussion

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

This will happen. Announcement is forthcoming in the next 2 days.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Post by Frauny Von Smiley »

William & Mary is helping write Oxford Open and we're looking to see if there's interest in running it at other sites in the US. If MUT doesn't end up happening, Oxford Open would be a reasonable replacement for it.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Presumably we would need to reduce it from 1.5/1.5 British History, though 1.5/1.5 British Literature is somewhat more doable.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Modifications like that can be worked out fairly easily. Other overly British content would also be changed for the American sites.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I'd think a much bigger issue for prospective hosts is that a lot of last year's set was just poorly written and full of low-quality questions.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

Matthew Jackson wrote:I'd think a much bigger issue for prospective hosts is that a lot of last year's set was just poorly written and full of low-quality questions.
This was definitely true. This year all the writers have a lot more experience and the set will be done early enough to play test before any mirrors take place.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Has there been any update on whether or not MUT will be happening?
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We don't know yet.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

William & Mary would like to announce Oxford Open for February 28th. Are there any objections to this? The announcement for STIMPY only stated that they were looking to run the set during the first two weeks of March.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Frauny Von Smiley wrote:William & Mary would like to announce Oxford Open for February 28th. Are there any objections to this? The announcement for STIMPY only stated that they were looking to run the set during the first two weeks of March.
This is the date of VHSL Scholastic Bowl states being held at your very school, as well as the Maryland Quizbowl Championship and most likely the North Carolina equivalent, so a lot of your potential teams and staff would be committed to staffing high school events that day. It's also one week after the long open weekend at Maryland, so it's not the best time for a Sunday tournament. I strongly advise picking another weekend. Personally, I think the MLK weekend is a great time for a college tournament. You could also be bold and take the end of semester post-Nationals slot, which used to attract a huge number of teams to tournaments like DSHIT and Moon Pie. As with MLK weekend, I tend to put more stock in "when we did host tournaments here, a lot of people played them" than in the one or two people who will loudly complain about exams or whatever.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

Matt Weiner wrote:
Frauny Von Smiley wrote:William & Mary would like to announce Oxford Open for February 28th. Are there any objections to this? The announcement for STIMPY only stated that they were looking to run the set during the first two weeks of March.
This is the date of VHSL Scholastic Bowl states being held at your very school, as well as the Maryland Quizbowl Championship and most likely the North Carolina equivalent, so a lot of your potential teams and staff would be committed to staffing high school events that day. It's also one week after the long open weekend at Maryland, so it's not the best time for a Sunday tournament. I strongly advise picking another weekend. Personally, I think the MLK weekend is a great time for a college tournament. You could also be bold and take the end of semester post-Nationals slot, which used to attract a huge number of teams to tournaments like DSHIT and Moon Pie. As with MLK weekend, I tend to put more stock in "when we did host tournaments here, a lot of people played them" than in the one or two people who will loudly complain about exams or whatever.
As of right now, having a tournament before the 31st isn't possible, though we would certainly love to and can try to make that happen.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Frauny Von Smiley wrote:Has there been any update on whether or not MUT will be happening?
MUT is likely to happen. Stay tuned for more information.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Frauny Von Smiley
Wakka

An official announcement about the North American version of Oxford Open being held on MLK weekend should happen in the next day or two. If you are interested in hosting a mirror, send me an unofficial statement of interest, or you can wait for the announcement and submit a bid.
Sean Smiley

VCU '13

William & Mary Law '16
no ice
Lulu

Post by no ice »

Can Oxford Open be added to the event list?
James Zhou
Hinsdale Central
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

no ice wrote:Can Oxford Open be added to the event list?
Done.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!