Global Announcement: Collegiate Novice 5

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Global Announcement: Collegiate Novice 5

Post by theMoMA »

Hello,

Collegiate Novice 5 will be available to mirror in its traditional early-fall slot in 2014.

Changes in 2014

1. Because I'm editing Chicago Open, the writing process will not begin until the end of July, and I will solicit more (and more experienced) writers for the project than in years past. Writers will receive two assignments, each due in about 10 days. There may be an option for a third assignment if necessary. The assignments will be manageable (5-10 questions).

2. To give host sites more flexibility with finals, we will produce 12 packets instead of the 10 in previous years. Proportionate to the extra questions, the mirror fee will increase to $6 per player.

3. I have tweaked the eligibility rules slightly. See below.

Who is writing this tournament?

Like in years past, I will solicit (self-) nominations of new writers. I would also appreciate having 5-10 experienced collegiate writers sign on to write questions. As in previous years, I'll edit everything (with help from playtesters, as usual).

When will it take place?

The tournament will be available for hosting on any Saturday between September 6 and October 11. I prefer the September dates to avoid conflicts with other tournaments, but I'll work with hosts in regions that have later starts to host at an appropriate time. This early date should allow new players to play an event tailored to them within a week or two of the first practice. Ideally the tournament will be hosted before any other event in all regions.

What will the packets be like?

There will be 12 packets, which should allow a reasonable format with finals and still keep the day short enough to avoid quizbowl fatigue and allow teams the chance to return to their campuses during the afternoon. The questions will be strictly length-limited to five lines of ten point Times New Roman (ten-line max for bonuses). The packets will probably be distributed in 12-point TNR for reading ease, so they may appear to be longer, but all will be held to the five/ten line ten-point standards. Packets will follow the ACF distribution and otherwise resemble normal quizbowl.

Who can play?
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.

2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.

3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.

4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:

i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.

ii. If you have ever finished in the top 15 in scoring at PACE NSC or top 30 in scoring at NAQT HSNCT, or played on a team that finished in the top 10 at NSC or the top 20 at HSNCT.

iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.

iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.

5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

6. Even if one of the rule 4 categories applies to you, you may still be able to play! Email me at [email protected] to apply for special dispensation. To apply: 1) state which of the rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 2) list when and how you achieved any of the accomplishments that led to your being otherwise ineligible; and 3) state succinctly why you want to play.
The eligibility rules have been changed slightly. I have tailored the rule about good high school players more narrowly. Remember, if these rules apply to you, it doesn't mean you can't play! See recently added point #6 for procedure on applying for dispensation.

Cost

Hosts may charge up to $18 per player.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Re: Global Announcement: Collegiate Novice 5

Post by theMoMA »

Host call

Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested in hosting. I may hold off on responding for a while because of other commitments

Writer call

If you're a new writer interested in contributing to this tournament and receiving feedback on your questions, or if you're an experienced writer who can help me produce this tournament on short notice, please email me to nominate yourself as a writer.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The first eligibility rule seems odd to me unless it's just an attempt to ruffle out folks who have played a bunch of collegiate tournaments (I feel like it should just say it then). I realize you can get an exemption, but if you're a junior, senior, or grad student who has never played quizbowl, you really aren't any inherently better than a freshman or sophomore who has never played.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Cheynem wrote:The first eligibility rule seems odd to me unless it's just an attempt to ruffle out folks who have played a bunch of collegiate tournaments (I feel like it should just say it then). I realize you can get an exemption, but if you're a junior, senior, or grad student who has never played quizbowl, you really aren't any inherently better than a freshman or sophomore who has never played.
If you've never played collegiate quizbowl, you're automatically eligible to play. See #3. I feel (and the rules have always reflected) that anyone who's an upperclassman and has already played a college tournament should have to apply for dispensation.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Hey, everyone. I'm sorry to report that I won't produce this tournament for 2014. Unfortunately, very few people have volunteered to write for Novice this year (understandably, given that the timeframe is so rushed). I'm also really burned out from CO editing, and not in the mood to spend another two or three weeks of the summer working from 8 to 6 and editing quizbowl from 7 to midnight. I apologize to the hosts, writers, and players who were looking forward to the set.

I'm not canceling all future iterations, but I'm putting the tournament on hiatus. I'll hopefully be able to find a permanent home for it, because I think the first four years have demonstrated that there's an audience for an early-season tournament directed at new players, and that players teams benefit from having the tournament as an introduction to quizbowl.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have the time to put this together, Andrew. Thanks for all you've done with putting this together the past few years.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This year, might it be appropriate to select a high school set that hasn't yet been posted (if there are any) to use as a substitute for Collegiate Novice? It could be appropriately tweaked/edited for a college audience as need be.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Although this tournament is targeted at novices, might not you run into a non-insignificant amount of sophomore players who would have staffed a site of the high school set? Or, played it as a senior in high school and then coming into college to play this tournament as a novice?
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

alexdz wrote:Although this tournament is targeted at novices, might not you run into a non-insignificant amount of sophomore players who would have staffed a site of the high school set? Or, played it as a senior in high school and then coming into college to play this tournament as a novice?
Yeah the only workable way to do this would be to mirror a current high school set for college players, which is something generally not done anymore for a variety of good reasons. There is of course always Delta Burke, but November is a bit too late in the year for the intended audience.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

My suggestion might be for clubs to run informal or intramural mirrors of older sets that their younger players haven't played. Obviously, this should never be done for any hosted tournament, but it could be a good "starter tourney" experience for new to quizbowl folks.

PADAWAN seems like a fairly easy set that is in early October.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Cheynem wrote:My suggestion might be for clubs to run informal or intramural mirrors of older sets that their younger players haven't played. Obviously, this should never be done for any hosted tournament, but it could be a good "starter tourney" experience for new to quizbowl folks.

PADAWAN seems like a fairly easy set that is in early October.
PADAWAN is meant to be regular collegiate difficulty.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Cheynem wrote:My suggestion might be for clubs to run informal or intramural mirrors of older sets that their younger players haven't played.
I'll second this recommendation. Columbia ran an intramural tournament two or three weeks into last year, and it definitely helped retention.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

So I'm not directly affected by this cancellation, but find it rather disappointing. I've been wondering for a while (and remember asking you, a few months ago) whether you had plans to eventually ensure that Collegiate Novice got transferred to other hands should it ever become too much for one person to handle year after year. It's probably too late to keep this event alive this year, but given that the community seems to find value in Collegiate Novice, it's my hope that we can start casting around for capable hands now to get it back on its feet in 2015.

Relatedly, there seem to be only three events on the calendar for this upcoming fall (PADAWAN, Penn Bowl, ACF Fall), so there's more opportunities open for capable hands of various types. I won't be available to help put anything (on top of PADAWAN) together this fall, but I'm glad to playtest and advise.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Was any progress made on the set?
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Does PADAWAN have enough "extra" tossups to contribute a significant portion of another set?
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If there's other people willing to still make this happen, I'd be happy to write at least all the visual arts for this.
Fred Morlan
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I don't want to commit to anything yet, but I could potentially write social science and philosophy.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

If something happens and noob writers are still encouraged to get involved to improve their writing, I'd be willing to submit some science and audio arts to this.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

I have written a quantity of history, literature, and geography questions that have not been viewed by anyone who would have been eligible for Collegiate Novice. I could contribute those, and would gladly write more as necessary.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21